Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Just off the Volendam Today

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by LUV2Cruz2, Feb 11, 2006.

1. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

I see......so, the Master Chef's Dinner was the only night there was new style entertainment in the Dining Room. That's what I thought. I was wondering if, seeing as your cruise was the one immediately following ours, they had added something additional.

This has been an experiment on VODM from what I understand and only if the majority of passengers speak well of it, will it continue.

Seeing as we saw it in October and it is still occuring on VODM in February, it seems that the majority of the passengers like it.

We missed it on this cruise as we had already made reservations for Pinnacle not knowing which night they would have the Master Chef's.

2. LUV2Cruz2

LUV2Cruz2 Guest

You could be correct about that. I don't know if the majority of people like it or not because I don't believe the majority of people make their honest views known to the cruise line.

At the next to last dinner, our waiter came to our table to tell us how important it was to give them high marks on our opinion card and he went through the usual schpiel about not judging the whole cruise based on one department...yada yada yada.

After he left, our tablemates said they would give everyone high marks on everything.."what could it hurt?"....so this just gave me an inkling that many if not most people actually don't put their honest opinions down. Now this was a couple where the gentleman did nothing BUT complain about everything everyday. He was NEVER happy, so why wouldn't he be honest on his opinion card? It could also be explained that maybe he had worse situations and this was good compared to the others...who knows?

As far as the Master's Chef being the only "new" entertainment in the dining room, my point was that other than the baked Alaska parade what is the sense of having this type of entertainment if the service is lacking?

Now I KNOW that I'm not the ONLY person on the whole ship who felt this way. Especially if there are other passengers who have cruised as much as I have...and I've been cruising for years and can't even count the number of cruises I've been on over the last 50 years.

As I've said Sail, it's all relative and it's just what I've noticed from June until last week on HAL. I hope they can find a sweet spot where MOST people can be satisfied. When 2 of us spend about $10,000 for a 10 day cruise...I expected it to be at least as good as it was the last time. You sail quite a bit, so I'm sure you understand these concerns, no? Maybe I just expect too much, I don't know.

3. LUV@Cruz2

We have also done many cruises.

And we do expect things to be as good as from previous cruises.

Know what you mean about how much we spend on a cruise. Suites aren't cheap - then add on air - we fly only first class.

We have been a little disappointed with HAL giving up the suite dinners.

When I read about sails cruise on the Volendam last Ocotober, I was wondering if we would have the Master Chef dinner on our Ryndam cruise being as it was a 10 day cruise as well. But that was not to be.

Now to hear that there wasn't a cocktail party the first night (or first sea day) and that the suite buffet was early in the cruise - just more cut backs. I can remember when we had the Raphael Indoneisian sit-down luncheon.

4. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

KK.......From what I can determine, it was only on Volendam that there was no Suite Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party. I don't know why they omitted it but the other ships are still running that party. I can't even speculate why they did things the way they did this cruise on VODM. DH and I like that party and we missed it.

We don't care about the Suite brunch. As I have written time and again, we have never attended it and have no plans in the foreseeable future to do so. It was odd to run it to early in the cruise.

Luv2Cruz.....I understand fully what you are saying. Of course, we all make our opinions from we ourselves observe and hear. My opinion is that when people are unhappy about most anything/everything on a cruise, a great many of them are extremely vocal and not the least shy about making their feelings known to the front office, GRM, Concierge, Hotel Manager and ultimately Seattle...(as they should if they feel it appropriate.) Those comment sheets are very important and are carefully evaluated. Those ratings rule!!! People sqwak when they pay a lot of money and do not feel they are getting what they paid for.

5. I will be curious to see if we have a suite dinner on our Hawaiian cruise. I have read on other boards where there was on on the Hawaiian cruises. And we did have one on our 21 day Statendam cruise in 2004.

Will be interesting.

6. sail7seas

In Lisa's review of her recent Oosterdam, I asked her if they had the cocktail party, etc. And she said that the cocktail party was still on that ship.

I know that you didn't attend the Master Chef's dinner on this cruise, but do you remember from your other Volendam cruise if they gave a glass of wine or anything special at the dinner?

7. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

No......there was no complimentary wine that evening.

They did give us champagne our last evening aboard because we had to miss HMC. It was a bright, beautiful day but the seas were too rough to safely drop tenders.

8. There were times when we missed HMC and also got that free glass of champagne.

9. LUV2Cruz2

LUV2Cruz2 Guest

I just remembered the other "show" in the dining room...Dutch Night. There were white dutch hats for the ladies and black dutch hats for the gents. I never experienced that on any other HAL cruise in the last 2 years.

10. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Dutch Night is a tradition many of us have loved for many years on HAL ships. It is hardly anything new. As long as we have sailed HAL, we have enjoyed Dutch Night. In the last year and a half or so, some ships have not had the traditional Menu nor the hats set out for all the guests. Most of the ships are back to doing it again. I would hardly call it a show. There have been some changes in the Dutch Night Menu but now the Dover Sole that many of us have missed is back on the menu (and was very good IMO on VODM.)

There are hats for us to wear if we choose; if you don't wish to, you simply don't wear it.

We've had at least 45+ + Dutch Nights on all the ships through the years and I cannot ever remember there being a 'show'. What have we missed?

11. We haven't gotten the hats on "Dutch" night for the better part of 2 years - and we have been on several different ships during that time. As a result I don't even refer to it as Dutch night anymore - especially since there hasn't been any Dover Sole or Bami Goreng on the menu for the ships we sailed on.

Someone mentioned about having Dover Sole on their cruise but I can't remember which ship it was.

12. LUV2Cruz2

Besides the Dutch hats, what show did they put on for Dutch night?

13. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

KK....

We had Dutch hats and Dutch Night on Maasdam, Veendam and Volendam in the last year.
    I think it might be the Vista ships that are not doing the 'traditional' Dutch Night.

This last cruise on VODM, we had Dover Sole (thought it was deboned before it was served unlike in the past). The menu also had Nasi Goreng but no Bami Goreng.

14. We have had the Nasi Goreng for dinner on all of our last cruises. Bami Goreng was offered at lunch in the dining room.

We haven't gotten hats on any of our last cruises: Statendam, Westerdam, Volendam, Zuiderdam, or Ryndam. It sounds like HAL stated doing them again fall 2005 - but I wonder why we didn't have them on the Ryndam???

And instead of Dover Sole they had Lingcod.

15. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Dutch Night had been eliminated for awhile, but was brought back by popular demand.

Unless there are some very recent changes (again), Officer's Suite Dinners are only held on the longer cruises.

16. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

We enjoyed one of our best Suite Dinners ever January, 2005 on Veendam. Nick Burger was Hotel Manager and Captain was Albert Schoonderbeek. Of many we have gone to through the years, this was the best food, the most fun. That cruise was only 12 days.

I wonder if we will have one on our upcoming 14 day cruise on Ryndam in April??

17. On our 16 day Orinoco River cruise - no suite dinner.

So they aren't always on the longer cruises.

13 days on Maasdam - no suite dinner.

18. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

I'll have to report back if we have a Suite Dinner (or not) on our 18-night Volendam Hawaii cruise.

19. And I'll let everyone know if we have one on our Hawaiian cruise.