Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Katrina Messed up My Cruise To Bahamas

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by CHi Bangers, Aug 31, 2005.

1. CHi Bangers

CHi Bangers Guest

This was my 6th cruise with 35+ new cruisers. Our cruise was change due to the hurricane. I understand the boat did what was appropriate for the safety of passengers and crew members. But for reimbursment, there was a $25 credit to our room. I think there could had been something better to compensate us. They was thinking about going to Freeport, but it was not safe either. I think they could gave us another discount any other cruise we would go on next year. If you have any suggestions, what do you think Carnival could have done?

2. palmtre2

palmtre2 Guest

You didn't say how much warning was given or your sail date - even still, I'm shocked that you and many others can complain about missing a cruise. How about missing your home because it's 3 miles down the road or heaven forbid, missing a loved one???? I love cruising as much as the next guy but it's small potatoes and the credit reflects that. That said, couldn't you have gone on a cruise out of California and used the $25 ???

3. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Honestly, I'm always surprised when passengers get anything when their cruise is cancelled or re-routed due to weather. Weather....something that is of no fault of the cruise line. Let's see...$25.00 per room and most large ships have what....maybe 1000 rooms? That's up to $25,000.00 out of the cruiseline's pocket for something over which they had absolutely no control whatsoever - per ship that is effected by that particular weather occurance. I wonder if they are even required to compensate passengers for this at all - the airlines surely aren't. I used to work for a commuter airline contatracted with America West. We'd have weather cancellations and diversions all the time, and what did the passengers get? Nada....there were even times when they were flown into another city (with advance notice that a diverson was a possibility) and left to their own devices once they got there. After all....the airlines cannot control the weather either, no matter how much they'd like to.

So, that leaves me to wonder why cruise lines compensate people at all for this...and I think it's because they want to do what they can to show "good will" so people won't go bad mouthing them all over the place for trying to keep them safe. Unfortunately, it's just never enough.

I would feel differently if it was a turbine problem or something...a reason that was actually the fault of the cruise line....but weather???

Don't get me wrong, it's unfortunate that you missed your cruise. But...when you cruise during hurricane season, you're taking a huge gamble.

4. I seriously thought this post was a joke.

5. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Maybe it is a joke and I just fed the troll....=dunno

If so, not very funny.

6. No Liz, you were right the first time. It wasn't a joke.
    Have you all seen the pictures? I've been watching CNN and gettyimages.com
    President Bush (finally) flew over New Orleans on Air Force One, didn't go there though.
    Carnival is hoping that the Coast Guard will allow the Holiday to go over there and transport supplies.

7. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

OMG...I've been glued to the news since Sunday night, but I had to take a break this am...I just couldn't watch anymore. I have lots of family in the New Orleans area, but have been told that they've all fled to safety and they are now in Arkansas and Tennessee. I thank God that they had the sense to heed the warnings. Part of my family decided not to evacuate in 1999 during Hurricane Georges...it wasn't nearly the magnitude of Katrina, so I was worried that they would try to tough it out. I pray that they have homes to go back to when they are able to go back.

The devastation brings tears to my eyes every time I see it. My grandmother (rest her soul) and my mother are both from New Orleans. I've never been there, and now will probably regret that for the rest of my life. It's always a place I've wanted to go, but I just never got there...now I may not get to see where my mother and grandmother lived, and so may other wonder sites that may now be lost. ***SIGH***

I hope that it's just not as bad as it looks and as they say it is and that when all the water drains out of the cities they'll be able to salvage and/or rebuild. I fear I may be holding onto a false hope, though. My heart goes out to those who have lost homes and/or loved ones.

A few weeks ago, we had a big monsoon storm and our power was out for several hours. My boyfriend was away, so I was home alone and I'm not the best with thunderstorms....I was scared. (What a wimp, I know!!!) We so take for granted how lucky we are sometimes, and I know how grateful any one of those people would be if they just had to endure a little thunder and a few hours of darkness. The darkness has just begun for them. :(

8. Sorry to hear you never visited, it truly is (you know, I really meant to type "was") a beautiful city. But it is a 'bowl' and now it's filled with water. The stories I hear bring tears to my eyes too! have you heard about the man who was holding on to his wife, and children and the wife asked to be let go so he could save the kids? he has not found her.

I am in Miami and when Katrina passed by it was a complete surprise for me! I was like 'where this come from?" our city is a mess! no one has power, I am lucky that where I live power cords are underground so I have power. I had to work because the port of Miami closed so we had to call every guest and tell them their cruise was moved to the next day.

Your family is lucky INDEED! I know a lot of elderly people here in Florida that hurrican after hurricane they are just too stubborn and won't leave their houses! then volunteers have to go take them out because many lose electiricity and water.

This is a tragic time and I hope people will band together and help those in need.

9. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

I saw that man and his children on TV....what a horrible tragedy for them to have to endure...did you notice that the reporter was getting choked up as she spoke to him. Can't say that I blame her....

My boyfriend wants to move to Florida. He misses being near the water. After the last two hurricane seasons I tell him not just NO, but HELL NO!!!! This stuff scares the pants off of me....I'll stay in Arizona where we have no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tornadoes, ets. (Knock on wood....!!)

10. Kathy2182

Kathy2182 Guest

I also had tears in my eyes when I saw that poor man talking about having to let his wife go! My heart goes out to him and his children and all the other thousands of people devasted by this disaster!

I just came across the following article....

Carnival Ships Possible Hurricane Relief Shelters

Submitted by Rudy Friederich on August 31, 2005 - 16:02. Cruise News
    An AP press release dated August 31 indicated that Carnival Cruise Lines had been asked by FEMA whether its cruise ships could be used as emergency shelters or help Hurricane Katrina relief efforts in some other way.

The world's largest cruise line said that although "to undertake such an endeavor would involve many complicated issues, we are actively taking a look at it."

11. I know! the reporters are going to come out of there traumatized! Man, I hate to say it, but if there is anyone in dire need in this world is THE UNITED STATES! someone said 'it's like we're in a third world country"... I'm from a third world country and if this ever happened to us, we could always count on our American friends to come and rescue us... but who is going to rescue our American friends this time?

I love Miami, but the thought of moving away has been dancing on my head. Maybe they need a Sales Rep in Utah!

12. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Yes, I read this on another forum. I think this is a "quick fix" for this tragedy. I just wonder how they will be able to get the people TO the ships...they can't even get them out of town now...

13. Carnival is reaching out to charities and hoping to use the ship to transport supplies, not people. I just got the cutest fax, it seems like it was written by a child and is addressed to Micki Arison. It tells him that they just got a great idea, to use the ship to move people. I wish everything was that easy!

14. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

Well, supplies are greatly needed, so that's a good thing.

15. Cruizer

Cruizer Guest

Coppertone Girl Wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    > I seriously thought this post was a joke.
    >
    >

Wait a minute. You thought this post was a joke and my under water remark was for real???

Well, I am sure glad I did leave out the submarine joke. As I said, I could not figure a way to write it without it sounding insulting. Still, I could not leave the under water line alone.

Actually, the way I see it, if Carnival was responsible for the hurricane, then I agree, a bigger credit is in order. If Carnival was not responsible for the hurricane, then I think it was very nice of Carnival to offer anything.

I mean really, who is old enough to go on a cruise, rich enough to afford one, and does not know there are hurricanes in the Caribbean in the summer. This is like the seat belt demo on airplanes. I would love to hear from someone who did not know how to put on a seatbelt until it was demostrated for them prior to take off. And on this subject, remember, after you feel a very large bang or bump, and the plane is approaching the ground at 200 MPH, and the oxygen masks fall from the ceiling - remember to put the oxygen mask on and, and this is the important part, breathe NORMALLY (like nothing happened - just pretend you are on a beach chair near some warm ocean drinking a frozen thingy). If you breathe normally, everything will be fine. If you breathe rapidly, sweat or scream, the plane will crash.

16. CHi Bangers

CHi Bangers Guest

To most of you who wrote our cruise wasn't cancelled. The last two days was fun at sea. We went to Key west and was in the ocean the last two days. Our cruise started August 22, on the Celebration. We was told about the cancelation of Bahamas after we left Key west.

17. lizardstew

lizardstew Guest

So, you got to cruise AND you got $25 for the weather diversion?

18. I don't think you wanted to go to Bahamas.
    Katrina was a FREAK OF NATURE! she was a Tropical Storm on Wednesday 8/24 for God's sake! NO ONE< and I really mean that> could have forseen that in in one day it would turn into a cat 1 Hurricane, and even more, a CAT 5 HURRICANE OVENIGHT!
    If that Captain warned you guys on before Thursday, then I want him to be our new head of Port Operations! because we weren't advised of anything until Thursday at noon! Friday is when the ports of Miami and Everglades closed up... I think the ships and their Captains did a formidable job.

19. Cruizer:
    Hey man, give me a break ok? I was onced asked if all the ships were IN the water, and some other lady who was scheduled to sail out of New York to Canada asked me if in the way back, we could drop her off in Boston.

Let's see, what else?... oh yeah why can't Carnival do a three day Caribbean out of New York, and my personal favorite... if I'm sailing out of Manhattan Pier Terminal, and I live in New York, what airport should I fly to to catch my cruise? honest!

Oh and Chi Bangers... it's not a BOAT! it's a SHIP!!!!!

20. mlzangel78

mlzangel78 Guest

I think CHI BANGERS may be a bit on the young side, and new to this board, judging by the grammatical context of the sentences.... maybe he or she dis not realize that hurricanes are dangerous, What I am more so dissapointed with , ( I know IM gonna get reamed for this one) is that they ACTUALLY posted that Katrina ruined their cruise.... GOD DAMMIT poeple are dying, cant find their loved ones and are homeless, without power, food, shelter. Are you frigen kidding me with a post of a Whoa is me tale of how your caribbean vacation got spoiled because of a hurricane,,, you booked during hurricane season, DUH, always a chance you might not go,,, but i bet those people who are dead or missing would love to have had your PROBLEMS Chi Banger,,, UGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!! im so mad i could spit nails, ive never called anyone a name but im gonna do it this time cause im really pissed, i can understand being upset but jeez to be so selfish and spoiled.,,,, so sorry your cruise got ruined but one missed port,,, im sure the families of those who are gone, will share in your sympathy of missing out on the bahamas... Im Done