Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Kinda OT - Sunscreen for Lips??

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by DawnG, May 3, 2001.

1. DawnG

DawnG Guest

I am on a prescription that makes you sensitive to the sun. I have the suncreen routine down for the body, but does anyone have any suggestion for the lips? I have noticed that they burn easily as well, and most balms are only SPF 15. Anyone know of a better one? Thanks!

2. Shelli

Shelli Guest

I don't know about balms... but there's no reason you can't put your regular sunscreen (especially if it's waterproof) on your lips as well as your body! I'd make sure to reapply frequently.

3. Debbie

Debbie Guest

I have to second the above - I use the 30 SPF suncreen I have on my lips as well.. Don't forget the bottom of your feet too - I burned mine real good one time and had a hard time walking! :) Debbie

4. brenna98

brenna98 Guest

I have sensitive lips that blister. I wear a lip balm w/ a spf of 30 (available at most drug stores) daily. Sunscreens intended for the body can irritate lips and dont seem to last as well as a lip balm, hint I sometimes will put clear lip balm on my nose as well and it lasts longer than regular sunscreen. Enjoy your trip and dont burn!!

5. Divetex

Divetex Guest

I use Hawaiian Tropic SPF 45 plus Aloe Vera sunblock lip balm. Smells like coconut, and is waterproof. Good stuff.

6. Mermaid

Mermaid Guest

Any good lip balm with SPF15 should do the trick. Keep it with you, and reapply often. I smear that stuff on top of my lip, on the skin under my nose, also. AND wear a hat or a visor.

7. Beckiep

Beckiep Guest

I burn VERY easy, too, and am now on a med that makes me even more sensitive.
    Several lip balms are made w/higher SPF's. I think the one I'm using is Blistex and it's a 30. Chapstick also makes one.
    DO NOT put reg. sunblock on your lips. There's a reason they say "do not injest." Besides, they taste bad. However, several sunblock makers now make specific lines for lips. Avon, Bain D'Soleil and Coppertown spring to mind.
    Don't forget your ears, back of neck and your scalp (if you're not wearing a hat, although that IS best.) I had braids in Jamaica and didn't think and absolutely fried my scalp. OUCH!!! Also, the backs of hands are usually forgotten.

8. DawnG

DawnG Guest

Thanks for all the input! I have been looking in the regular lip balm section, I think I should be looking in the sunblock section. I will check out was has been suggested. Thanks!

9. hrstern

hrstern Guest

I am able to find Chapstick Ultra SPF 30 in CVS and Stop and Shop here in Mass. I don't like flavored lip preparations but chapstick now has flavored ones in SPF 30 too. They cost about $1.20 per tube, and I use them year round.

Helen