Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Le Havre and area

Discussion in 'Europe' started by bellman, Jul 19, 2003.

1. bellman

bellman Guest

Will be in Le Havre in late September on the Oosterdam. I gather the trip to Paris takes 2-3 hours? If this is the case I think we may just stay in the local area. Can anyone recommend a private tour company for the D-Day beaches and smaller communities in Normandy? Thanks for all suggestions.

2. ANSAlberg

ANSAlberg Guest

We were in LeHavre on the Rotterdam in July - and took the Normandy Beaches/WWII tour [ it is expensive] and it was the highlight of our cruise! I am well read and had prepared by reading a bunch on the Normandy landings - but NOTHING prepared me for the actuality! I learned SO MUCH by actually going there! The problem with arranging your own tour in that area - is the vastness of the landings. I was under the assumption that France is a small country; Normandy is a part of that; the beach area etc was even smaller- That we are talking about a -"No more than 10 mile area" -In actuality the Normandy front on the landings was FIFTY_FIVE MILES LONG!!!!!!! You cannot "see it all" in one day [ in fact -a WEEK would probably be too short] but the tour we were on was VERY well done - lunch at the Omaha Beach Golf Club - and I felt we saw all that would be practical to see in ONE DAY! Lunch is included in your tour and it is around 9 hours.
    Several people at our table went into Paris and said they were VERY disappointed because "No time was allowed for shopping" but they spent quite a bit of time - in very heavy traffic -driving around MAJOR shopping areas! When one VERY frustrated lady asked why "We aren't allowed ANY shopping time" the guide told her coldly " Madam -this is an over-view for when you RETURN on your OWN" And her comment was "Sure- Like WHEN am I ever going to get to Paris again?"
    Anne:daisy:usa:CO