• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Light decorations before Christmas in Sweden

Funnel

Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor
Seamom, as Beryl said the first Sunday of Advent we light one light, the second Sunday we light two lights and so on.
It can look like this:

As you can see there is sphagnum in the candlestick. I don’t know the reason for that but it’s very common to have that. I don’t have a candlestick this year. I’m afraid I will forget to blow out the candles and burn down my house (sooooo tired every morning)… :whistle:

This must be one of the biggest 4-light “candle sticksâ€:

I’m glad you enjoy seeing our decorations over here. Now I’m eager to see yours!

/Erik

randy

I was looking for "16" too, but I also found the references to the four candles. One for each Sunday leading up to Christmas. I am unsure through why there are 3 purple and 1 pink. Can't find that reference. Lovely tradition, fun to learn about different cultures.
In our church, the four candles (one lit each Sunday of Advent) represent hope, peace, joy and love--in that order. The one representing "joy" is pink because you are being joyful at a time of solemnity. On Christmas Eve, we light the center, white candle because of the light coming into the world. While that's one church's (Fairview Baptist Church in old town Fredericksburg, VA--plug!) take on it, other churches use purple (or blue) to represent the color of the coming royalty and the third Sunday, pink for the aforementioned reason.
More than you wanted to know?
Merry Christmas all!

Funnel

Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor
I don't know why, but all of a sudden I yearn for a reindeer steak... :biggrin:

Glo and randy, our 4 Advent candles over here are (almost) always white.
As it is so dark outside we burn a lot of candles this time of year and it's common with green and red candles for Christmas.

/Erik