Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

liquor/HAL

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by vince, Jan 8, 2003.

1. vince

vince Guest

Can anyone tell me if HAL will let you carry-on liquor? Thanks !

2. Kirk

Kirk Guest

Yes they will. They have no problem with it.

3. vince

vince Guest

Thanks for the info.

4. 'Vegas Jim

'Vegas Jim Guest

This topic has raised tempers on other cruise boards. The HAL "Know Before You Go" material states that beverages are not to be brought aboard at embarkation or in ports. They apparently don't enforce it ... but it is their policy at any rate.

5. MarieA

MarieA Guest

The book also states that you should pack medicine, liquor etc. in your carryon.

6. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Yes...they do allow it but that will probably only be the case as long as people do not abuse the privilege. If people pour their own liquor and carry it into lounges and out to the pool etc, I imagine it would be the end of them allowing pax to tote it aboard. They would quickly follow the policy that most other lines are strictly enforcing.

So...for those who tote.......please use "good taste" for the benefit of the others who wish to continue to do so.

(We don't bother to lug it along as we much prefer the social atmosphere of enjoying our cocktails in the lounges.)

7. ANSalberg

ANSalberg Guest

WE feel the same, Sail -But in Cairns, Australia- $4.98 bottles of local Cabernaigh [Sp] were too tempting and we bought several bottle for our cabin. Australian wines are GREAT - the wine industry there goes back to around 1850! And they were SOOOO cheap and SOOO good! [smiling] Then we went back to the Volendam "Crows Nest" and Gani, Tricia, and the other wonderful folks up there!!!! This was in November!
    Anne:daisy:usa:CO

8. vince

vince Guest

For Sail......

You need not fear.....I will "tote" my hooch with all the "good taste" I can muster. ; )

9. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

:)

JMHO.....

10. Lindy

Lindy Guest

Who is strictly enforcing, I don't know olf any line that actually is. I always see this and
    then you check individually and it seems you can bring your own on all ships. I just sailed Celebrity, we brought on large wine and my husband had a bag with 2 bottles of
    Champagne. They take it at the ports you stop in, but haven't actually heard of embarkation.

11. Kirk

Kirk Guest

HAL policy of no beverages refers to climbing the gangway with a cocktail in your hand. Not bringing a bottle on board for use in you cabin!

12. Debbie Mumaw

Debbie Mumaw Guest

We just came back and in Ft. Lauderdale there was a couple boarding with a cart full of cases (4) of diet coke, coke, beer and wine. No one ever questioned them and it was all out in the open. They just rolled them all on board!

13. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

That sounds just a bit "tacky" to me.....talk about taking advantage! They might have shown a little discretion IMO

14. cruisernh

cruisernh Guest

I agree! I am a soda junkie and do bring soda and something a little harder on board but, I also do buy drinks at the pool and in lounges. I hope people like that don't ruin it for the rest of us who do save money buy bringing on board but not flaunting it.

15. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Sure....bring SOME with you....but FOUR cases seems a bit over the top! It's that sort of excessiveness that will get HAL fed up and force them to change their policy IMO