Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Live From Crystal Symphony

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by ShipMaven, Mar 8, 2009.

1. The Cruiser

The Cruiser Guest

Thanks ShipMaven for another great read. Glad the *seas" have been behaving.

2. Tobyn

Tobyn Guest

Oh what a wonderful dinner. Sounds like a perfect day and evening for you. I look forward to reading more.

3. audrey

audrey Guest

That was a great report I am so enjoying this about all your adventures. I would love to cruise with you someday MaryAnn I don't think it will be this summer I am hopping we will be taking a short cruise with dd and grandkids right around the duck cruise. I enjoy traveling with dd and grandkids also.

4. Charles

Charles Guest

Mmmmmm.

Please have the concierge send us some samples of your great dinners!

:)

c

5. sage

sage Guest

Mary Ann, I'm glad that you are continuing to have a good time. When you get to Hong Kong, are you participating in the post cruise hotel program with Crystal, or have you chosen a hotel on your own? I would imagine Hong Kong has some wonderful hotels.

6. Corky

Corky Guest

Another great read!! Glad that all is going so well and thank you for sharing your day with all of us. :)

7. JANPEP

JANPEP Guest

I have enjoyed another wonderful day at Sea with you, thank-you.

8. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Guest

=love..thanks Dear Paesana, another great saga..well worth the wait to get to.
    I slept in..:grin.enjoy all your days left to sail!!..=hugs Joanne and Mark..

9. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

March 24 - at sea

I cannot believe our crossing is fast drawing to a close. Despite so many days at sea, the time is flying by quickly as we near Hong Kong. I know some made comments about the times when the seas were rough. That goes with the territory when making an ocean crossing. I’ve been keeping a weather eye on Hong Kong for the time I’ll be there. T-storms and showers. I hope the weather forecasters can be just as wrong there as in the U.S.A.! :grin

We had the usual day filled with lectures, lessons and games. I was doing work for my group, but did go to the famous Mozart Tea this afternoon in the Palm Court. Stewards and Stewardesses are in period costume, as is the 3-person music ensemble playing mostly selections from Mozart. I took some photos of the table filled with petit-fours and finger sandwiches. I opted for a verbena mint herbal tea which was quite nice.

Tonight, the dress is informal (semi-formal). Only three more dinners on board this beautiful ship…and then my first visit to Hong Kong. I’ve opted for a sightseeing transfer between ship and hotel, and then I’ll do the private tour the next day. On the one hand, I’ll hate to see this journey end; on the other hand, I miss little Pucci terribly and am anxious to be reunited with him. I DO telephone him every day - only another pet lover will understand. =love

Last night at dinner, Captain Zander mentioned that the Officers and Crew on board (over 500) come from 48 countries. That prompted me to look at the Guest List. I counted 14 different countries from North America, South America, the United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, Australia. Surprisingly, there are children - well-behaved - and quite a number of younger guests. The demographics are more mixed than I would have imagined for a voyage of this length.

I sat in the Crystal Cove before dinner, as usual, listening to the pianist tickling the ivories, and then the a capella quartet Full Sail gave a short concert until dinner time. The dinner menu tonight was one of those where everything looked tempting. I started out with soft shell crab, then had a wee taste of pasta. Wiener Schnitzel was on the menu, so I ordered that - forgetting that the chef was preparing risotto with mushrooms for me. I savored part of the veal AND the risotto. Both were delicious…extremely delicious…extremely EXTREMELY delicious!

I did not have dessert, but these were the two featured sweets…

The Siam Tower - Cassis Mousse, Tapioca Pineapple Mousse, Passion Fruit Coulis

Imperial - Sacher Cake, Farmer’s Cheese Crepe, Marinated Strawberries, Sauce Anglaise

Not everyone was at table, but those of us who were sat around quite awhile having a wonderful discussion about travel, especially in Europe. The Sacher Cake (remember Open House one weekend with the Sacher Hotel in Vienna?) inspired one of the couples to start talking about that hotel and Vienna. Then we chatted about Rome and Amsterdam. Brought back many memories for me.

We all went to the Galaxy Lounge to hear Michel Bell (Porgy & Bess) and Dale Kristien (Phantom of the Opera) perform for almost an hour. What magnificent voices - some of the selections were from Aspects of Love, Phantom of the Opera, South Pacific, Porgy & Bess to name but a few. What talent! Just another example of why Crystal wins awards year after year for their entertainment.

Another day ended on a beautiful note.

To answer Bev’s question, since I’ll be in a new city with a totally different culture, language, etc., I booked Crystal’s “Crystal Classic Plus†hotel package that includes transfers, upgraded rooms, etc. I also arranged through the Concierge on board working with the Concierge at my hotel for a private car and English-speaking guide to tour Hong Kong the day after I arrive. This will probably be my one and only time in Hong Kong. If I were able to walk around as I used to, hop on/off buses with ease, it would be different, but…

10. sage

sage Guest

Thank you Mary Ann. Both hotels look beautiful, and I have heard that Crystal has a wonderful pre and post cruise packages. I know that you will have an incredible time in Hong Kong.

11. Mbandy

Mbandy Guest

You tell the tale so well Mary Ann. I almost feel as if I were there myself.

I'm sure Pucci misses you too. Little Kiss usually gives Susan the "cold shoulder" for a day or two when she returns from a cruise. A few dog treats cures that pretty quickly :dog

12. The Cruiser

The Cruiser Guest

Another great great read ShipMaven. Looking at the Bridge Cam, another calm sea day.

13. GloBug

GloBug Guest

Mmmm... can't wait for the pics of Hong Kong. I hope you get a good view of the 8pm light show!

14. gram

gram Guest

:wave :wave :wave

Thanks again Mary Ann for taking the time to share your adventure with us. I enjoy reading all about it.

15. Donna - dsw

Donna - dsw Guest

Boy does that meal and the music sound wonderful - I know you are having a great time and I thank you for sharing with us!

16. Corky

Corky Guest

Ok - I want both of the above and then I will be a happy girl. :)

17. Tobyn

Tobyn Guest

Another wonderful read. Thank you for sharing.

18. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

I'm so glad you're enjoying the travelogue. I have suitcases open on my bed - I HATE that!

Tonight is formal - and the Captain's Farewell. It will be hard to leave Friday morning (Thursday your time). They're not offering the sightseeing transfer to the hotel, so I'll go directly there. Those of us who booked our hotel through Crystal don't even claim our luggage ashore. We'll find it in our hotel room.

Now, your eyes are not deceiving you with what you are about to read. Tomorrow, EVERYBODY must show up to have their temperature taken. I understand this is standard procedure for arrival in Hong Kong. I know what bOB, in particular, is ready to ask - DON'T!!! ;)

More tonight IF I can log on. I'm having a terrible time, and it's the website itself, not our internet connection. :(

19. J.E. M.

J.E. M. Guest

Thanks for sharing your adventure on the high seas with all of us that are not currently cruising. Side note, I thought the Hong Kong flu started in Hong Kong.

20. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Jim - I'd say it would be a good guess that the Hong Kong flu pandemic of 1968-69 originated there and then spread.

Our latest update - we're heading into predicted heavy seas tonight/tomorrow, and there have been very heavy rains in Hong Kong. :( We're starting to move more noticeably, and my knee does not like it at all. I'll be using my cane (doggone it).