• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Live From Crystal Symphony

S

ShipMaven

Again, my sincere thanks to all. When I opened my new plug adapter from Radio Shack, I discovered to my chagrin (and anger) that it's for a 2 prong U.S. plug, not the 3 prong plug that I have. My hotel room has every imaginable gadget, but it doesn't have a plug adapter. So I went to the Concierge, and within minutes had what I needed.

So, now that I needn't worry about the battery running low, let me bring you up to date.

Our dining table aboard ship was one of the most congenial in years. There were some really fine - and fun - people, and we were sorry to part company at the end of the cruise. The group that I hosted (remember, these were not my personal Clients) were the nicest and friendliest people I've had - and as the cruise was winding down, many were coming by to chat, say goodbye and hope we would meet again - which is a nice feeling.

Despite all the sea days, the time passed quickly. I hated to disembark yesterday morning - my hotel room overlooks the harbor, and when the ceiling permits, I can look and still see Crystal Symphony docked.(can't see a thing right now!). She sails tonight.

Disembarkation yesterday morning went very smoothly, as usual with Crystal. I requested a wheelchair, and I was whisked from my stateroom directly to the bus that was waiting to take those of us booked at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel to our destination.

WHAT A HOTEL!!! We arrived shortly after 10:30am - our rooms wouldn't be ready until early afternoon, so after checking in with the Crystal Representative at the hotel, we each were given keys to our own hospitality suites until our rooms were ready. These are essentially the same luxurious rooms we have, but our "regular" rooms are on a higher floor. I took photos, so I'll let them do the talking when I return home. Just about every conceivable high-tech gadget here - except that adapter :grin - lights that turn off automatically, master switch at bedside so one touch does it all with lights. Very POSH hotel, but not glitzy. Understated elegance. If I have to be confined to quarters with my knee, this definitely eases the frustration. Of course, I didn't plan to "stay put" while in Hong Kong, but....

The famous laser show commenced at 8:00pm, but I didn't see anything. :( It was raining, and the ceiling was low. There is no show tonight.

My flight departs at 10:45pm tomorrow night - Singapore Airlines. I have permission to remain in my room until 4:00pm (late checkout), and then I can transfer to a hospitality suite again until my car picks me up at 7:00pm. If I were to return to Hong Kong in the future, you can bet I would want to stay here again!

S

ShipMaven

GloBug said:
Kiefer has been communicating with Pucci, so the Dearly Beloved Prince now knows about your knee. He's expecting you to take it easy when you get home, and he promises to fetch your slippers and a hot cuppa tea when you snap your fingers. At least, that's what he says... Take things slowly and we'll hear from you when you are able to check in. ((((Mary Ann))))
Pucci hasn't been very generous with his kisses during this trip. However, when I told him that "Mommy has an 'owie'" - a phrase he understands from my surgeries - Melinda said he gave me a kiss. Needless to say, that made my day!

And to all who are concerned about my knee, yes I AM taking it slowly. I have no choice. And I'll be seeing my primary physician and surgeon upon my return,

Again, I thank all of you sincerely for your concern and good wishes.

S

ShipMaven

It's nice to be back online again!

Earlier this evening here, through the fog I watched first Star Aquarius and then Crystal Symphony sail. Visibility was far too poor to attempt taking photos. :( As soon as both ships sailed, another, smaller, Star cruise ship docked. I don't know which ship - again, I was barely able to see the silhouette but recognized the funnel. I could just imagine all that was happening as Symphony set sail for Beijing.

Symphony will be going into routine drydock in September. I was delighted to learn that "the chair" - the controversial piece of furniture in the non-suite staterooms placed during a previous drydock - will be removed (YIPPEE) and the loveseat that "the chair" replaced will be installed again. As word gets around, I'm certain there will be lots of cheering! :thumb

A

audrey

MARY Ann Thank you for another wonderful report and take it easy till it is time to leave for the airport. Travel safe and I can't wait to see your pictures but take care of the knee first.

G

GloBug

Sooo glad to hear from you. The Mandarin sounds like an ultra-lovely place, it's great they were so accommodating on all aspects of your short stay. We look forward to you getting home safely and as pain free as possible, hearing what your doctors have to say about your knee, and most important of all, hearing how many kisses Your Little Sweetie gives you on your return.

N

nieciez

We've all sure enjoyed these travels though your eyes...just so sorry you had to end it with an owie. Safe travels home and we are looking forward to the pictures!

K

Karry

Mary Ann, have "missed" most of your passage; been in and out of the hospital with DS #1 and his DW who **was** 9 mths. pregnant and had HBP. Good news is that she delivered a healthy and GORGEOUS baby boy tonight-my lst grandchild (granddaughter from DS#2 and his DW due in 5 weeks!) =clap =clap I have been working my way BACK! I am on page 11...what absolutely fascinating experiences you have shared with us! DO hope the knee is okay and you have safe travels home. Can't wait to see your pictures. :wave ps/ I have gained 25 lbs from page 16 back to 11. DARE I read pages 1-10?? :dizzy

S

ShipMaven

Karry - what WONDERFUL news about your first grandchild. May God bless your little Grandson, and I send best wishes for the upcoming arrival of Granddaughter #1. Sounds like an equal-opportunity family - one of each.

I hope your dear DIL #1''s BP will quickly return to normal. Please be sure to post pics!!

Denise - thank you. =hug

S

Snowblower

Hi Mary Ann,
Thanks again for the great posts. We can't wait to see the pics of your trip when you have time to post them. Hope you have an uneventful trip home and please be safe. Best thing overall is the little man is home waiting for your arrival. He must be the most excited of all. Talk to you when you get home.....

S

ShipMaven

Thank you, Jim and Mike.

My little sweetie will be at the airport to greet me. =love He usually causes a big stir with people wanting to see the little fluff ball that's sooooo excited and sooooo affectionate.

Edited to add: I just took some photos out my window - I can actually SEE something. Star Pisces, Star Aquarius and the Explorer are in port. If memory serves me, the Explorer is the subject of that infamous video of a ship being tossed around unmercifully in a storm.

I remembered correctly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JW_kKP7alw&feature=related

S

ShipMaven

Well....shutting down now. If I can check in from the lounge at the airport later on, I shall, otherwise, thank you again for following along.

S

ShipMaven

Step by step - I'm in Singapore Airlines' first class lounge at Hong Kong Airport.

The car (Mercedes sedan) and driver provided by Crystal Cruises could not have been better. At least I got to see a little bit of Hong Kong on the way out here. We started out in Hong Kong Central, where the hotel is located, crossed over to Kowloon and then to Lantau Island where the airport is located. The skyscrapers and construction are mind-boggling (I'm so sorry I couldn't go sightseeing), the highway to the airport is super, and the airport itself is huge. The closest I can describe it is like a series of geodesic half-domes. The lineup of airlines reminds me of European Airports - but I was checked in swiftly, passed through Security and Immigration in a breeze, and now I find myself in the lounge. Since I couldn't do any shopping for gifts like I had planned, I gimped around a few of the Duty Free shops. Like in Europe, most articles are cheaper at home! So I quickly made my way back to the lounge. I have almost two hours until my flight is called.

If I can, I'll check in again from San Francisco. Once more, thanks for following along.

C

Corky

Again, safe trip home, and doesn't it always feel great to Get to the airport and settled in? Now, you at least you are there, where you are supposed to be and will soon be on your way. Take care of the knee and a smooth flight to you! :)

S

ShipMaven

Thank you, Reggae and Corky.

Signing out now - interesting to see the QWERTY keyboard with Chinese characters!!!!