Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

London hotels

Discussion in 'Europe' started by retjohn, Sep 27, 2004.

1. retjohn

retjohn Guest

Does anyone have a good hotel recomendation for London near a lot of the sights to see? I want a hotel with a private bath at least and maybe has a ceiling fan. Finding out this is hard to come by.

Thanks for your help.

retjohn

2. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

The ceiling fans might be hard to come by, but air conditioning isn't. If I were you, I'd try Priceline for the hotels. We won an $80 bid for a 4 star hotel located in So. Knightsbridge, right across from a Tube station. There are plenty of reviews and help at: http://www.cleverbidding.com Just takes some time to figure out what to bid on and for how much. :)

3. Hal

Hal Guest

The Thistle Hotel chain has several very well priced hotels in London and throughtout England. last time we stayed at the Thistle Euston, which is immediately adjacent to the Euston Tube and rail station on a quiet side street - no train noice, but very convenient. The pricing was very good through American Airlines.

Hal

4. Hal

Hal Guest

The Thistle Hotel chain has several very well priced hotels in London and throughtout England. last time we stayed at the Thistle Euston, which is immediately adjacent to the Euston Tube and rail station on a quiet side street - no train noice, but very convenient. The pricing was very good through American Airlines.

Hal

5. tgrove

tgrove Guest

As Hal said, just find a hotel near a Tube station, and you will be fine. I believe you can get a day pass for areas 1 & 2 for about 4 pounds, and that will cover alot of major sights. If you only have a day, there will be more than enough to see.

If you have never been to London, be sure to visit the British Museum (free, accepts donations), and the London Tower. Both are great, and will take at least half the day, more if you really want to enjoy them.

Happy Holidays!

6. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

I meant to say "South Kensington" not "So. Knightsbridge", sorry. Really happy with the hotel we got on Priceline, as it would have been $3000 had we booked it through any major travel website (checked prices on Expedia, Travelocity and Millennium's site). There's a Tube station across the street.

Great advice on the London Pass with transport. We're definitely getting them, but it'll be more like $450 for the 4 of us. Wish it was 4 pounds!! :thumb

7. tgrove

tgrove Guest

I know the London Pass is more. You can actually get a day pass for the Tube only. It was not much for us. I think it was only 4 or 5 pounds, but that was 1 and 1/2 years ago, so I may have forgotten exact price.

With the London Pass, you get alot more. Check out their site at www.londonpass.com. If you are going to be there for a few days, and doing alot of sightseeing, it is really nice.

Happy Holidays!

8. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Yeah, it really does include a lot. It would be cheaper in the long run just to pay for the attractions we plan on going to, but I have a feeling we'll want to do more things once we're there and we'll end up paying more in the end.

Thanks! :)

9. mforrests

mforrests Guest

Best small hotel in london is the Chesterfield.
    A block off Berkley Sqaure, 5 minute walk to Bond Street and Selfridge's, 10 minutes walk to Picadilly.

10. Cruisin J's

Cruisin J's Guest

If you don't have your airfare yet, British Air is currently offering free hotel stays up to 3-nights with round trip purchase when you buy it online. Even if you do, it may be worth canceling your current air and re-buying.

Cruising J's

11. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Just back from London. Be careful what you book. Even the really nice hotels are not up to US standards. It's one place I should've really bought a 5 Star hotel and a mistake I would correct next time.

12. red stripe

red stripe Guest

welcome back Lady Jag,
    sorry that the hotel was not good.

A lot of hotels in England are not up the US standards unfortunately.

the Copethorne (sp) ones are good... why am I telling you this?? it is too late :lol

anyway, I hope that you still had a good time.
    and hopefully got out to Windsor Castle while you were there.

13. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

Hi red! :wave Sadly, we didn't have enough time to make it out to Windsor Castle. :( Even though we had 4 days in London, there was just SO much to do and see! We did see a tremendous amount though and you'll be glad to know everyone much preferred London to Paris, although we had a terrific time there as well.

The hotel we stayed at IS owned by the same company that owns the Copthorne hotels as well! It was clean & neat, just not anything compared to the new Hilton in Paris. Kinda like the difference between driving a restored Bentley or a new Maserati - the Bentley just isn't what we like, that's all. I did look up the rating of the hotel and it is a 3.5 Star. I should've aimed for a 5 Star. The location was unbeatable though! :thumb

Will post on the community board soon. :wave

14. BruinSteve

BruinSteve Guest

Well, we returned from our British Isles/Norwegian Fjords Constellation cruise less than a month ago now...

We spent 2 nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise at the "Rubens at the Palace Hotel"...
    First, we found the location EXCELLENT...Walking distance (2 blocks) from Victoria Station where our Gatwick Express train came in...4 blocks from Victoria Coach Station--where the Celebrity transfer buses went in and out of...Directly across the street from the side of Buckingham Palace...and an easy walk to Harrod's in one direction and to Westminster Abbey in another...And the hop-on-hop-off buses stop right in front of the hotel...

We got a rate of £109 per night plus tax including breakfast and a welcom cocktail--which, having shopped around, I think is an excellent rate for a 4-star hotel in London...

The breakfast was a full English breakfast buffet and very well done...

The public areas of the hotel were very nice...

The room we had for our first stay was a bit on the small side, the second room we had--on our return--was much larger and more comfortable. The rooms did come equipped with complimentary tea service (with packaged scones and biscuits) and complimentary bottled water...

The air conditioning was excellent (as we learned last time around--at the Best Western Paddington Court--is not always the case in London...

I would recommend this hotel to others...