Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

London to Dover

Discussion in 'Europe' started by cruisingbob, Oct 5, 2008.

1. cruisingbob

cruisingbob Guest

Any hints and good ideas on how to get from London airport( I think Gatwick is closer) to Dover cruise port.
    Need to catch my cruise ship same day.
    please provide details.
    Thanks
    cruisingbob.com

2. davejohn

davejohn Guest

The easiest (and maybe cheapest) way is to book a transfer through your cruiseline. The other options are motorcoach, railway, or private transfer. The first two require a trip into London to catch a connection. A private transfer can get expensive.

See http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_dover.htm for more details.

3. Karen and Paul

Karen and Paul Active Member

We booked transportation through the cruiseline. It was pricey but we were sure to get there. If memory serves me correctly Dover was a pretty fair distance from London.

4. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

If you are arriving the same day the ship sails (really NOT recommended, especially with the usual mess at London airports), then definitely use the cruise line's transfer!

5. sam2000

sam2000 Active Member

There are four different ways to travel from London to Dover. Dover is approx. 100 miles from London.

1. National Rail The bad part is you would have to take a taxi to the station from where it leaves from. There are probably about 20 - 25 stations that you could leave from. a anyway it takes about 2 hours and costs approx. $33.

2. National Express Bus takes approx 4 - 5 hours and costs approx. $19. Not so good for people in a time crunch.

3. Private car. A private car costs $185 and a van costs $195. Takes about 2 hours. OK if you have a group to share the expense with.

4. Or of course your cruise shuttle which I agree with the above statements that you should take if you are arriving the same day unless you have lots of time.

Sam

6. sam2000

sam2000 Active Member

7. leonrdofan

leonrdofan New Member

You don't have to go into central London from either airport.

1)from Heathrow National Express intercity buses ("coaches") go every hour or so direct to Dover, takes around 4 hours but no change of bus (from Dover to London best to book by computer as
    coaches get crowded in rush hour)

2)from Gatwick National Rail (train station in airport) have to change trains but only about 2- 2 1/2 hours.

Both work fine; have done both. National Express and National Rail both have good websites