Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Lost Picture ID 2 weeks before cruise!

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean International' started by jzsfreak, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. jzsfreak

    jzsfreak Guest

    Hey everybody - any suggestions on what to do if you lose your driver's license 2 weeks before your cruise? My son lost his entire wallet and the DMV takes about 60 days to get a new id issued. I have a colored photo copy of his license and his birth certificate, but no other picture ID. He'll be 18 years old a few days before the cruise. The AAA agent told me that he'd probably be able to get on, but they might not let him OFF! I tried to call immigration but the hold time was going to be over 30 minutes. Any suggestions? We just figured that he might have to drive back home if worse comes to worse. :(

    March 2003 - Carnival Ecstacy - Ensesada
    July 30, 2003 - RCCI Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
  2. MrsPete

    MrsPete Guest

    Why does it take so long? My husband's wallet was stolen, and he was able to walk out of the DMV that day with a new license.
  3. MandyBear

    MandyBear Guest

    60 days? What state do you live in? Are there special circumstances that would delay? If he arrives in person they should be able to process him in a day.

    I have had a license re-issued in maryland (change of name) same day. In NJ I had a duplicate issued the same day. I am certain you can get this expedited.

    I'd go straight to the DMV and explain the situation. In todays world environment it is not wise to be without your photo id, not to mention he should not be driving without one!

    Hang in there, I am certain you can resolve this quickly!!!
  4. theshznit

    theshznit Guest

    I live in Minnesota and I was wondering the same thing... this scenario has never happened to me but I worry about as the cruise draws near. I recently went down to the DMV to get another license because I misplaced my current one and this was 3 weeks ago and I still don' t have it back!!!!!!

    Has this ever happened to anyone and WHAT IF you do lose your photo ID... can you NOT get on and/or off the ship?

  5. JeffC

    JeffC Guest

    Our DMV provides you with your new license in hand before you depart their office. They also offer picture ID's for a small feel, again before you depart.
  6. wile1170

    wile1170 Guest

    Same here in Florida....sure you may wait 4 hours to get your new license, but you'll get it the same day....now a days all the DMV's are electronic with digital photos, they can output that right away...

    One solution to your problem, and you won't have to worry about losing your license again... GET A PASSPORT!
  7. Mbandy

    Mbandy Guest

    Check with the cruise line but here's what happened to a colleague of mine last August on the way to the ship. He left his wallet on the plane from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and that plane departed LAX before he could retreive it. He filed a police report with the LAPD and would have been able to board the plane to Vancouver but was not sure if he would have been allowed to board the ship so he opted to just go back home. When we were on the ship we asked if the police report regarding the lost ID would have been sufficient and were told that it would have. Again, this was just the experience we had with Celebrity. It could vary from cruise line to cruise line but worth a try calling the cruise line. BTW...I waited in the DMV office in Las Vegas for 7 hours but did manage to get my DL the same day. AMAZING that it takes so long for you. GOOD LUCK!!

  8. jzsfreak

    jzsfreak Guest

    Well thanks for all of your input! I live in wonderful SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!! Yes - home of the 3 hour DMV lines! They actually don't even print the licenses here - they get printed out of the Sacramento office - WOW - I need to move to a new state! The fact that you can go into a DMV and leave there with anything besides a thinner wallet and headache just amazes me!

    I just called the DMV's main office and they haven't even processed it yet! So I doubt they'll get it here in time. Oh well - all I can do is try - I'll let y'all know what happens for future referense. I might call the Immigration office just for kicks and giggles....

    Thanks again!

  9. MandyBear

    MandyBear Guest

    Jennie ~

    Oh my goodness!! I was just reading your message and decided to look into the CA DMV. I wouldnt have looked into this, except I literally just got off the phone with a friend moving to Northern Cali and she was tlaking about her license.

    This was on their website:How to apply for a duplicate driver license or identification (ID) card

    To apply for a duplicate license or ID card, you will need to:

    Make an appointment to visit a DMV office
    Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.) For a duplicate driver license, minors must have parents' or guardians' signatures on the DL 44
    Pay the application fee ($19 license or $20 ID card or no fee senior citizen ID card)
    Give a thumb print
    Have your picture taken
    To ensure your identity is secure, the DMV will validate your photograph, social security number, and your personal information.

    You will be issued an interim license valid for 60 days and/or a receipt for your ID card until you receive your new photo license and/or photo ID card in the mail. Check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if your address is incorrect. Your new license and/or ID card will be mailed to you within 60 days. If you have not received your license and/or ID card after 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check the status. Have your interim license and/or ID card receipt with you to provide information when requested.

    THAT IS CRAZINESS!! Wow, at least it sounds as if in the Great Staet of California you can feel safer about id theft??

    Sorry to hear about this complicated process for your son.

    Does he have a student id? Hmmmm, I am trying to think what else youc an use.

    Gosh, what a pain in the tush!!!

    Hope it gets straightened out. I am shocked they did not have any option for paying more $$ to get the license faster - gosh.

    WELL - THAT IS WHAT YOU GET FOR LIVING IN BEAUTIFUL SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!! :) (i am jealous!!!!!!!) Here in miserable maryland our DMV issues the same day, and generally with an hour wait, guess they make up for where we live that way! HA HA

  10. boxer

    boxer Guest

    You can apply for a passport on line. I think you have to go to the post office for a picture and signature, then go on line a download the application. They charge different fees depending on how fast you need it. You can get a passport in three days for something around $195.
  11. jzsfreak

    jzsfreak Guest

    For some reason I was thinking you had to have a DL to get the passport - but if you don't have one you can somebody go vouch for you...however it mentions that it is also about 2 weeks to get it...unless it's life or death! Oh, and I'd have to go to Los Angeles - YUCK! But I'll at least call them tomorrow to see if it's REALLY two weeks. :)

    Thanks again!
  12. jzsfreak

    jzsfreak Guest

    GUESS WHAT WAS IN OUR MAILBOX TODAY? Yes! My son's license! I guess the DMV doens't have a clue what they're talking about! I can't believe she told me that it hadn't been processed yet, and it actually was sitting in my mailbox! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even more remarkable is that it really only took 2 weeks to get it! haha
  13. MrsPete

    MrsPete Guest

    Wow! I had no idea that it was so difficult to obtain a license in other states!

    wile1170 -- Getting a passport really won't help in this perdicament. It can be lost just as easily as a license -- perhaps more easily because they aren't used everyday.
  14. jester95008

    jester95008 Guest

    I recommend just getting him a passport . Call 1-800-275-8777 for the Post Office and details on how to obtain it in a fast rate. Now that he's 18 it'll work just fine. Get rolling on it though as it does take some time to get the photo taken and sent in.

Share This Page