Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Maasdam deals out of Norfolk????

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by CruisinTex, Jul 21, 2003.

1. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

I seem to remember someone mentioning that HAL is offering some excellent prices on their Maasdam cruises out of Norfolk. The prices on their website are normal. Anyone have any experience with certain TA(s) that are giving good HAL deals? Or maybe a certain HAL promo number? Since my SS Norway cruise just got cancelled, and my sister and I don't like freestyle cruising, we're going to switch to HAL. Thanks for any info anyone has.

Post Edited (07-21-03 19:04)

2. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

I think it was ShipMaven (MaryAnn) who mentioned she had some good specials for Maasdam/Norfolk cruises. You won't find more capable, experienced or helpful than Maven.

I'D LOVE TO FIND SOME GOOD PRICES ON MAASDAM BOSTON TO BOSTON NEXT SUMMER. The HAL site shows a 49% discount but the cost of the cruise is still too high IMO as the book rate from which they are deducting the 49% is awfully high, I think.
    My TA has not been able to offer me anything better.

If anyone knows of some great prices.....please share?????

Post Edited (07-21-03 20:04)

3. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

Thanks, Sail. I'll contact her.

4. My brother-in-law and his family also were booked on the Norway for an October cruise. He asked that I try to find something for them as a substitute. I was unsuccessful in finding anything that came within their budget. !

I hadn't taken a cruise in 10 years. Yesterday, however, in doing my research for him, I stumbled upon the HAL Maasdam cruise out of Norfolk .

Our wedding anniversary is on Valentine's Day and it has always been difficult to find anything reasonably priced around that time due to President's Week.

Booked and paid for the cruise that departs February 10, 2004 - returning February 21st.

Cost was $ 2,744.28 for an Outside, category H, cabin for both of us. They only had a few left in that category and we got the last one on the Main deck.

No matter whether you used TravelVelocity, or VacationsToGo, or whatever .. it seemed like the "fix" was in. All had the same price. Supposedly, the price represented a 53% savings .. but you know how that works !! I then called my American Express travel agent to see what she could come up with. Same exact price ! But ... I went with her because I have an American Express Card and if you book a vacation using one of their agencies and use the card you get a rebate. You can only get a maximum of $150 per year in rebates. If the trip is costing over $2500, you get the entire $150 credited back to your account.

It sounds like a great itinerary !

It would have been nice if we could have gotten a reasonably priced cabin with a balcony ... but it would have cost almost twice as much !

I took two "cruises from hell" ten years ago using the now defunct .. Regency Cruise Lines. This has got to be better !!!!!

The Norfolk location also was a plus. It should take about 4 hours to drive there from here and it has got to be less hassle than driving to BWI and flying to Florida.

Cheers,

Terry

5. Annadwl

Annadwl Guest

I saw where Lori Cunningham from SkyscraperTours.com is listing the Maasdam from Norfolk beginning at $1099. Seems like a good deal.

Happy Crusin

6. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Welcome to the Board, Anna. I noticed this is your first post.

7. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

Thanks for the information, Anna, and welcome to the board! :wave I have Lori checking on several options for me so I'll add this one to the list.

8. RANDOLPH

RANDOLPH Guest

Ah yes, SS Norway was a classic. Have sail her 3 times. Hope
    they can fix her. From what I read, most any of HAL's ships
    would be enjoyable. I think there are still some deals on the
    zuiderdam or the oosterdam in the month of December '03.

9. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

Thanks, everyone. Terry, I just noticed that this was also your first post - so welcome to c@ddicts. Hope you stick around and post often. :wave

10. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Welcome, Terry :wave Sorry that I did not realize it was also your first post. Glad to have you aboard.

11. Thanks, everyone, for putting out the welcome mat !

We're now in a Category D - midship and the cost is now just under $3200.

This is Judy's first cruise. I tried to explain to her what H501 may become if the weather was uncooperative .... But, since she's an avid deep sea fishing enthusiast, she thought it might be fun ! That thought lasted less than 24 hours ! :) :)

One of the few "positive" aspects of my previous cruise experiences was that you get to "sample" a number of locations in short order. Back then, I considered my cruises as being an "introduction" to the Caribbean. Visited some that I wanted to return to and some that I didn't. Antigua and Barbados became my favorite places to vacation.

This new itinerary out of Norfolk on the Maasdam takes me to 3 islands I've never been to: Tortola, Dominica and Guadeloupe. Now that we're going to be steps away from an escalator ... I'm looking forward to it .... and if HAL "reserves the right to upgrade us" ... a "D" is closer to a "B" than an "H" is ! :) :)

12. JohnG

JohnG Guest

We got an email promo from HAL to members of Mariner Club (past cruisers). The offer was to book an inside for and get upgraded automatically to an outside. We booked a cat H for the price of an MM ($1233 each) for 10 days Eastern Carib, a guarantee for the Feb 21 sailing, and plan to book the Dec 11 sailing also, which is about $100 pp cheaper but for 11 days Southern Carib. Must book by Sept 30 to take advantage of the promo.

We can drive 20 minutes to the pier. I can take a taxi to and from for far less than using the terminal's parking arrangements.

13. Bruce

Bruce Guest

All of you folks talking about booking the Maasdam do realize you have to get Sail's permission to sail on her don't you?? Sail just lets HAL use it on occasion.

14. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

:jump Bruce.....Thank you for putting out the "word".....HOT! I graciously :) granted

HAL the needed permission to move "MY SHIP" to Norfolk :jump Not wantin to be

selfish, I want as many @ddicts as possible to enjoy the grace and beauty of

that "dam" ship :]

The "dam" downside of the new Homport, is we are having a horrible :B time finding

any decent flights. :( None of the air choices are anything I'm willing to put up with.

But fear not, I am researching alternative :dance choices. With a little :help from HAL

and my TA, hopefully we'll join some of you aboard. :wave

15. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

Bruce, Sail, you two are a riot! :lol Sail, I hope you know you'll be getting an e-mail from me requesting your advice on cabin choice...but first I need to convince one stubborn husband that he really wants to do this! :grin I like the idea of being stacked but DH doesn't see the need for it. (Bruce, don't go there... :nono )

16. Bruce

Bruce Guest

I didn't say a word[​IMG]

17. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

:lol He didn't say a word, YET :bounce

:roll Every girl needs to be stacked.. :grin

Tex....:jump she's a great ship. HOT! I think you'll love her. But a warning, one cruise :

( is never enough on Maasdam. :thumb

Here's to Maasdam :cheers and all who sail upon her :cheers

Heck...if I don't get on the "dam" Zudm :jester very, very soon, :dance I'll be drinking to

most anything! :party

18. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

Sail, you need a cruise bad! For some reason, I thought your b2b's were 16th and 23rd, and you'd be back on the 30th. I was way off!

Bruce, I'm soooo surprised. Not in such a good mood today, sweetie? having a bad week or something? You're just not up to your perky little self! :grin

19. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

It's scary, Tex.....I'm am definitely in dire Need!!! :)

HAL always provides what it takes to cure me.

20. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

Hang in there, girl, just a little longer! Breathe in, breathe out... :thumb