Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

mailing a letter to Canada from the US

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by jsy, Oct 3, 2002.

1. jsy

jsy Guest

Do I need a special stamp to send a letter to Canada from the USA or can I use our regular postage stamps? And if there is a special stamp how much is it and do I have to go wait in line at the post office to get it? This is just a regular weight letter I am sending. Thanks.

2. CruzTerri

CruzTerri Guest

The post office has a great site to calculate what the postage would be it is...

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Don't know how to make it clickable, but this will get you to the International Postage Calculator at the USPS site.

Good luck!

:candle

3. PEB

PEB Guest

All I have ever done is just put a regular stamp on the letter and it has always gotten to friends I have in Canada.

4. red stripe

red stripe Guest

My sis is in Canada, and while the regular stamps work fine... you will have to add more postage to it . when I tried to gues haw many stamps to add, I have often got the letter returned to me. It is easier to take it to the post office and get them to weigh it.

5. Bill B

Bill B Guest

A regular, Airmail letter (1 oz.) to Canada from the U.S. requires 60 cents postage.

6. Have to agree with Red as I have had issues mailing letters to Canada. (btw red I understood ever word you typed rotfl)

7. wishin

wishin Guest

Regular postage works. And I AM CANADIAN!!! I'm not shouting - it's a bit of a joke up here. Actually - to be honest - it's a beer commercial. LOL

8. pjkds

pjkds Guest

Regular US stamps work for US to Canada, but you need extra (i.e., more than for US to US). I believe Bill B is correct, 60 cents for one ounce (which should take care of up to 3 normal 8 1/2" by 11" sheets).

If you are mailing a letter to ANY foreign country, you use US stamps only, but in various extra amounts of cost.

9. Heatherbc

Heatherbc Guest

And if your friend responds back to you...........will cost them 65¢ from here to there. :))