• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Maw's Thursday Office Ramble

red stripe

JK..
“Kumihimo.†What is this?
I still have the piece of art that you sent years ago.. the name is on the tip of my tongue.. en???encarta??

And yes.. I am still up to my ears in tomatoes, and all kinds of peppers. But these days of rain and cold temps may do them in. The rhubarb went to sleep a month ago.

Maw,

Paw is a good egg..
I wonder.. do you have a family member that would do a good job and could use some extra money

Cutes..

ROTFLMAO
I have worn spaghetti, had them pee on my equipment…
. I am sure that in spite of your frustration.. You were patience itself with the patient.

One thing I found out while working in hospitals.. is that even the young can get angry and take it out on the nursing staff. It is usually born of their fear or their feelings of helplessness. It is a terrible thing to feel that you no longer have control of your life.

Darn Connie
.. I had to put my glasses on :cool: Listen.. if I had my way.. all the font sizes would be large.. My eyesight is shot.

And having a cleaning lady is only a luxury if you are 20 and you are sitting at home painting your toenails..
For my mother and you and maw, and a few others I can think of.. it is a necessity..
Although Maw does have Paw.. and he is a jewel. Perhaps we can rent Paw out?

Liz,

enjoy these nice days, and your drive today.

Jeanie..Cyndi…
it is not personal.
They are scared, they are tired of having someone in charge of them when once they were in charge.. it is bad to feel powerless.
I worked in a few of those places.. and I hope that I die outright.. OR Donna adopts me...

Cyndi..
did you ever take a look at those dresses?

Beryl,
I am glad (in a way) that the turnout was good.
At E’s work.. they do nothing for Remembrance day/veterans day.. but they do something for 9/11

Meghan..

how nice to see you. 20 above zero? Wow! Got your swimsuit on?

Maw..

not laminate..
I have a horror story.. it involves doing my (then) 22 foot kitchen with Pergo.. three months later the icemaker leaked. The floor was lost. Nope.. in spite of their adds saying that ‘parts of the floor can be replaced†when this happened they said it was impossible.
The whole floor was lost. A lesson learned.

Hardwood!!!!!!!!!

Reggae.
. now if we could drive to the port. Maw is right . Einstein might like that.

Mine will do the 2 pound loaves.. but I find that for using the dough setting and then transferring to a pan.. the 1 ½ size works best.

Herb..
it took a few recalls for me before I relaxed and no longer think the worst when someone says they need to get more photos.
But glad that you confirmed that it was OK

cutes... a librarian in a college library?? Hahahaha try separating the students ‘studying†behind those last racks…..

Tobyn.
so are you thinking of joining meghan and sunbathing?
And do you want EVERYONES wish list? Hang on..

A very late good morning all.

Being an ER nurse I can sure understand the situation and feelings and I have to say that sometimes thinking and talking about those things are the way we cope and we would never mistreat a patient but at times we do have to vent and it's human to feel that way - the key is never to act on it which I know Joanne would never do. We are human also and have feelings and frustrations but never act on thoses. OK I'll get off my soap box now.

Nice day here today with not much else on the agenda but work again tonight.

Everyone have a great and safe day.
very true words.. when working under such pressure Healthcare providers etc. have to vent, if not.. they would not last long in the job… as the sheer strain would have them in a very bad mental state in no time.
Like cutes.. they vent to their friends and their co workers.. and never to the patient

cheers...

Last edited:

maw

Wordsmith
I've been lazy with feet up Red just now checking back--good to see such a nice long ramble. Thanks so much for fixing it for me E(and red.)

Any one interested in Lainai rooms on Veendem check out post on Holland American Board lots of good pictures too.

JacquieP

Joanne, that reminded me of a patient who pulled a gun on me as I was drawing her blood and told me she was going to kill everyone. I yelled for one of the doctors to help and he asked her to give him the gun. It was LOADED, and we found out later that week that her breast cancer had spread to her brain. Too close for comfort!

jk

I have the utmost respect for those in the medical field. Yes, from time to time I will get a not so nice or bright nurses but I'd say 99% of the time they are awesome!! I personally could not do their job. That 1% of bad nurses need to put themselves in the patients shoes so to speak...

Jacquie, a gun! How very scary. Glad that things worked out the way they did!
One never knows what one will do when they have some type of illness that is horrific!!

As far as the elderly are concerned, I keep telling myself that I will be in their shoes one of these days and try to be patient when they irritate me.

Red, kumihimo is a type of Japanese braiding. I purchased a kit last weekend and have fallen in love. It is very similar to braiding lanyards but I am using different fibers, yarns and am working into adding beads to make beaded necklaces and bracelets. I am finding out that you can use just about any kind of fiber. The disc you use to braid with (at least this one) is made out of foam so it is quite light, small and easy to take places. It is perfect for me when I don't feel well enough to go downstairs into my craft room. I have a few pendants that I am going to try and make some simple necklaces to hold them. I just spend an hour at Hancocks fabric today finding some cool fibers (they actually were on sale which makes it even better. My first trial piece that I made I used a special ribbon that came with the kit. You can see where I am still learning :)

The piece that I sent you years ago is called Encaustic. It is when you paint using wax. I need to try and stick to one thing for awhile but like I said in my earlier post, it is sooooo hard to do. So many new things (thoough Kumihimo is very old) to try.

Corky

Connie – I hear you on the bread…I’ve had way too much this week already.

And listen; don’t ever apologize for getting a cleaning lady. If someone doesn’t like it, tuff noogies!! :D

Joanne – you have the patience of a Saint!

Jeannie – Reggae and I will need tutoring from you this holiday season as we’ll be in our cups missing our boys.

Beryl – Good for you to get to have your boy home…what we mom’s go through just trying to get time with our sons. I at least got to see mine this past April, but I want more!

Red – I’ll keep my eyes out for better fares. I told my son that we’ll give it thru the middle part of December before we give up and for him Not to tell his boss that his plans have changed. LOL

JK - $337 to get him here and $374 to get him home, plus taxes is what Southwest is showing right now for Dec 23 – 27…we had tickets already for Dec 20 – 28 that totaled $366. I’m still knocking myself out…but, he said he couldn’t come home for that many days now anyway, so it is what it is. :(

Reggae – if E doesn’t want the blender, I’ll take it. :)

Herb – Thank goodness Joann is ok. :)

Tobyn and Nanookgirl – keep the cold up there, will ya? :D

My we are a chatty bunch here of late. LOL

red stripe

Red, kumihimo is a type of Japanese braiding. I purchased a kit last weekend and have fallen in love. It is very similar to braiding lanyards but I am using different fibers, yarns and am working into adding beads to make beaded necklaces and bracelets. I am finding out that you can use just about any kind of fiber. The disc you use to braid with (at least this one) is made out of foam so it is quite light, small and easy to take places. It is perfect for me when I don't feel well enough to go downstairs into my craft room. I have a few pendants that I am going to try and make some simple necklaces to hold them. I just spend an hour at Hancocks fabric today finding some cool fibers (they actually were on sale which makes it even better. My first trial piece that I made I used a special ribbon that came with the kit. You can see where I am still learning :)

The piece that I sent you years ago is called Encaustic. It is when you paint using wax. I need to try and stick to one thing for awhile but like I said in my earlier post, it is sooooo hard to do. So many new things (thoough Kumihimo is very old) to try.

Janice I could come up with the "EN' but was not too sure of the rest. I only know that it sits on my bookcase and is beautiful.

I would love to see this new work, and will do a search for information on it. It sounds very creative and freeform.

Perhaps I have something around here that could be of use to you.

I am a bit late in life.. but I am fast reaching the time that my first mother in law told me about. She said.."you will spend the first half of your life gathering things, and the second half getting rid of them"

So far I have sent some glass patterns
to a better home , I have attempted to give away my Lacemaking clothes.. :) and I just found out that a neighbour around here knits for the hospitals.. so I am going to see if the tons of wool I have can be used by her.

I see no reason to hang on to things I no longer use when others can get use out of them

So.. I will check it out.

still raining cats and dogs here.. and some fierce winds. I had to go out and retrieve the cover for the outdoor grill and re-fasten it on with bungee cords, and took down the flag, as the pole was snapping back and forth rather violently.
Supposedly this should move out tomorrow. But as our electric has fluttered several times.. I have the torch and a candle nearby

red stripe

corky.. you may want to check Southwest..
E has just called and said they lowered their prices for some flights we are looking at. Not over Christmas.. but you never know.

Corky

Red - thanks, I did, Jeanie sent me a PM. :) It is still a no go though, same prices as yesterday. It will all work on in the end. But, if I turn into a whiny baby I know all of you understand. :D

Jeanie

Red, I find it heart warming that you donate your crafts items. It is very kind of you,

JK. post a photo of your kumihimo braiding, I would love to see it, sounds so interesting.

Jacquie, a gun! I would say that is a very scary incident. Sad for the patient.

Corky, I keep and eye out for air sales for you.

Maw, I did check out the post regarding the Lainai rooms on Veendam. Love the photos. You can see the changes/up-grades that Hal did.(beautiful) A big difference from the the last time I sail on the Veenadam. No wonder the cruise fares are so expensive.

Have a great thursday evening

red stripe

Red - thanks, I did, Jeanie sent me a PM. :) It is still a no go though, same prices as yesterday. It will all work on in the end. But, if I turn into a whiny baby I know all of you understand. :D

no we wont.. we will squash you like a grape :hot:

or.. I will tell you our Thanksgiving holiday plans.. that will cheer yo
u up :D

red stripe

WOW!

I just went looking.

the bad news is that although I do have a couple of silk spools around here.. they were the fine kind for lace-making, so I am not so sure they would be any use. But I will look around. also.. if I remember correctly.. they are all black.

You say you use beads? any type?

Reading about it I see that I had some of it years ago, in the Obi that went around a kimono.
I do hope that the person that has it has taken care of it. lol

Janice..it rather looks like a very complicated version of something we used to do with sewing spools when we were kids.

You took the wooden spool that thread came on and you drove 4 nails into the top. then you braided fine wool around the nails, using a crochet hook to make a length of rounded braid that went down through the hole in the spool and came out the bottom. we used to sit around and do miles of it, and then sew it together (rather like braiding rugs) and make rounds bags etc.
This looks as it someone took that idea and made it amazingly challenging.
or.. someone took something amazingly challenging and did a simple version for kids. :))

am I on the right track?

I know one thing.. it looks way too complicated for me to take up at this stage of the game.

I am looking forward to seeing your work.

Corky

Jeanie - thank you, I would appreciate that. :)

Red - please don't squash me!! :D And yes, please tell me Your plans for Thanksgiving...I always like a good story - send it to my home e-mail addy. LOL

p.s. to Maws Ramble Gang - I am gone today (Fri) sitting with my Man, home tonight packing for the arts/craft show tomorrow, and up and out of the house by 4:30 or 5 on Sat morning headed to Louisville. We lose an hour going as they are in EST and I am in CST. So I will holler on Sunday and let you all know how we did. As always, thanks for being so nice C@'s!!