Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Meet "THE GIRLS"

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by red stripe, Oct 2, 2008.

1. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

Great pictures and story. There is a hatchery at the beginning of our subdivision. Once in a while the little chicks escape. They are so cute. :)

2. r8derfan

r8derfan Guest

I'm so jealous. I wish I lived there.

3. NiteStar

NiteStar Guest

OK......I'm just curious. What is the average life expectancy of a "kept" chicken. Meaning......one who lives as Red's sisters chicks do and are not destined to become dinner for anyone.

4. conniecat

conniecat Guest

Loved the story. I don't eat eggs very often, but my BFF raises chickens, and last week when they came for the weekend I had her bring me some. I have almost finished off the carton already, they are soooo good.

Her chickens are not quite that babied, and their life expectancy isn't all that good, they have a raccoon who keeps sneaking in and grabbing a chicken for dinner. Her DH keeps shooting the raccoons, but they live next to a wildlife area and there are lots of raccoons.

5. NiteStar

NiteStar Guest

So assuming that no wild animals decide to have chicken for dinner, what is the life expectancy. :lol

6. CaroleH

CaroleH Guest

I miss you all too!!! but business is picking up so Im hoping for a cruise in 09.

Martin and I had such fun with Red and E :) I love them both and its so very quiet now they have returned home, but one thing.... the tomato juice isnt going down so fast lol

A few chickens are easy to look after, but a lot would be hard work, mine have so much room to run around theres no buildup of poop, and other than water and a handful of seed 2x a day thats really it, but of course i give the girls the left over veggies from the house and fruit and always keep their radio station on nice calming music and they have a night light and they have .... never mind, Im a sucker for animals lol

did you know you can hypnotise chickens easily by circling your finger in front of their eyes, my neighbor told me that as a young boy he did that to his mom and dads brood and layed them feet up along the fence at the front of the house for when his parents came home lol

7. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Mary Ann.. sorry, I just saw your question.

Sis says that she does not name them, as they live a few years and one day she comes out and one is dead.. So over the years there has been a lot of "girls" I think the only exception to this is the one with the twisted beak.. that one was easy to identify, and also had quite a personality to compensate for it. She said that in spite of her beak problem, she still managed to eat. :grin

8. CaroleH

CaroleH Guest

Hi NiteStar :)

There are meat chickens (self explanatory) i know nothing about them im sure they dont live long,

Then the laying hens, mine live 5/6 years

The chickens whose eggs you get from the store live at most 5/6 months, as their eggs stop being uniform sizes, God forbid we get odd size eggs huh , from there your guess is as good as mine, I would think they go to KFC or sold as utility chickens,

9. red stripe

red stripe Guest

good morning sis :grin

how about correcting my mistakes as I fumbled along.. and tell about "beaky"

10. CaroleH

CaroleH Guest

Afternoon Sis lol I was up early your visit has thrown my wonderful schedule off lol

As for naming the Girls, only the "stand outs" get names, a memorable one in the past was a chicken thats top beak went right and the bottom beak went left, kind of crossed over, we called that gal Jean Chretian (albiet a man ) Jean was Canadas prime minister a few terms back and if you ever saw him speak or heard him speak you would agree with me that this was a fitting name for a "girl" that looked like she did :D

11. NiteStar

NiteStar Guest

Thanks Carole for the info on longevity. I'm an animal lover also and it's so sad to think that some chickens only get to live 5 or 6 months. It actually almost puts me off eating chicken or eggs!

12. CaroleH

CaroleH Guest

Hi Connie,

Sad to hear about the raccoon problem, we also get them but we put down a trap in the building with cat chow in it, raccoons love cat chow more than a live chicken, its like a small animal carrier but metal fencing material with a very sensistive foot plate that slams up after the coon has walked to the back to get at the bowl of chow. A few years back we caught 17 coons in a six month period, and only seen 1 in the past few years, you could mention that to them.

13. red stripe

red stripe Guest

and let's not forget it catching the occasional cat :grin

14. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Connie.. also the girls go in that barn at night and it is shut up, so any racoon has to work at getting in to them.
    Maureen.. next time, adopt one "lol
    r8derfan.. so do I..

sis.. and I guess that the vodka is safe also. if you visit next.. I want a bottle of that sherry please :grin

15. Mgram

Mgram Guest

I REALLY enjoyed this post! Very informative.......thanks red.

16. conniecat

conniecat Guest

I think she said the raccoons had tunnelled in. They couldn't figure out at first what was killing them, but her DH actaully caught one in there one day. Their acreage backs up to a 6000+ acre conservation area. I am sure they could never trap all of the wildlife, lol.

17. maw

maw Guest

I was raised round chickens all my life but have to admit we had 50-100 most times. always got a fresh batch in spring for fryers and then kept a few hens. I used to be scared to get eggs think it was because we used to get so many black snakes in hen house a few oplaces we lived. Mother used to keep a crate for eggs sitting in cornor of the dog trot-it held 8 doz as I remember. This ws never refrigerated and then every couple of weeks she took eggs and sold to stores. There is nothing like good brown eggs from free range chickens. Here recently we got some eggs that actually tasted like eggs. Grew up on egg sandwiches for sure. Billy 2 always wanted to raise chickens his friend father ran a pultry house and he used to bering home culls all the time to try to raise. After he and Penny got married they raised chcikens to freeze one year noticed after the first chicken cleaning party a few weeks b efore Billy3 was born he never said anything abt raising chickens again.

18. seamom

seamom Guest

...and I thought this would be about the newest members of your family on the Carole side.

I can't believe you snuck over the border and there was no Niagara meet! Is it going to be another decade before you come up..........hope you give more warning next time! We are still in baseball season but most weekends are now getting rained out. So...did you get to the Falls or wine country...or the scrumptious brunch at Eastdale? I was almost expecting a knock at the door here in Toronto but you would have seen a knackered person at the end of a work day compared to on a cruise. To think that you were that close!

Loved the hen story though and now I'm craving a fresh egg....though we have a cooked chicken we're about to attack.

19. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Susan,
    we did we did..... :lol it was a full visit, and way too short.
    Einstein had posted about going there a couple of weeks before.

We went to the wine country, I posted a picture of our lunch in E's lunch post yesterday. And the falls.. and had the original buffalo wings, and the best.. according to Einstein... New York pizza in the world.
    And we never came up past the farm :lol

You are right though.. next time we do need to try to meet somewhere, I would love to see you, and also the seagrand people. And I know where you can get fresh eggs :grin

20. CaroleH

CaroleH Guest

hey connie just a thought, if they are tunnelling in it could be weasels, .... not that it makes much difference, especially to the chicken :)
    as for the wild life area, my backyards the rest of the province of Ontario and once we got the local nests its been pretty quiet for a long time just the occasional family trying to move in