• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Men's dress code on MS Westerdam

P

Pouf

Good Morning-

We are leaving Sunday for a 7 day Southern Carribean cruise on HAL's Westerdam ship (I can't wait!!). We have sailed with Royal Carribean and Princess previously. My question is surrounding men's dress attire during the informal nights at dinner. HAL's website says that men must wear a jacket to dinners- is this true? In practice do most men wear golf shirts or buttoned shirts to dinner instead of a suit jacket to informal dinners in the main dining room?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

S

suer182

On my last two HAL sailings they changed one informal night to smart casual. I dont recall what others wore as to me I dont care what others are wearing. But alot do.

With that being said, informal night you will see most (not all) men in a jacket, button down and maybe a tie too, as well as a suit. Button down shirts as well as golf shirts. IMO, it will up to the maitre d' at each sailing to determine if they allow you in the dining room or not.

If you are not comfortable with the dress code in the dining room, you can order room service and some ships have the lido set up for dinner. But they generally close down early, around 7:30-8:00.

S

sail7seas

Yes....the vast majority of gentlemen wear jackets on Informal Night. Tie is optional.

Some are saying Informal Nights are going to be phased out. That has not yet happened. We just returned from Noordam and had two Informal Nights on our 11 night cruise. Almost all the gentlemen wore jackets.

P

Pouf

Thanks for the information.

So, just to clarify- are the dinners in the main dining room that take place on nights other than the formal evenings considered informal dinners, and hence a jacket is warranted? Other than if we order room service or go to the Lido deck, he will be required to wear a jacket most evenings for dinner?

Thanks

S

suer182

On a 7 night cruise you will have the following :

Formal nightS (2)- tuxedos and suits are recommended

Informal night(1)- sport coat, tie-some, or suit (I only had one on my Noordam 11 day cruise, the other was smart casual) They still might let him in the dining room not wearing a jacket on this night.

Smart casual(4), you will see everything from slacks/dockers, button down shirts, polo style shirts to suits.

The dress code is the same as it is on the other cruise lines you have sailed.

So at least 3 jackets to eat in the dining room. (pick your battles :) )

S

sail7seas

Our Noordam 11 day (January 6, 2007) cruise had two Informal nights.

We had three Formal, Two Informal and the rest casual. No jackets/ties are required for casual nights.