• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"Miss Manners" BUTTER KNIFE question

L

LS5099

<HTML>Ok, I messed up the first time!! Should have said butter knife....sorry. That's what I get for going to work at 3:30AM and not getting home until 6:00PM, then trying to read the board. At least 15 of you got a good laugh out of it.

What is the notch on the back side of the BUTTER KNIFE used for?

LS5099</HTML>

L

Lisa

<HTML>Maybe that is where the knife is supposed to rest on the plate?

Just a thought from another person who just follows others at the table! lol Outside in is what my mother taught me when I was little.</HTML>

S

Seawall

<HTML>Just a tip/ don't put butter knife and notch on the same search engine.... lol</HTML>

J

jenn

<HTML>I think the notch is for "stabbing" the butter to get it to the edge of your plate. After placing it on the edge of your plate, then you "scrape" some off and spread on your bread.
And, where do put your knife if you are not supposed to "balance" it on the edge of your plate? I've never figured that out - only heard it's not supposed to be placed on the plate.</HTML>

T

tutak

<HTML>You file a notch on the butter knife for each pound of butter that it has killed.</HTML>

D

DR. SEYMOUR LICHT

<HTML> I have a question!!!!!!

Since you butter the bread on one side it is a 50% chance when the bread falls on the floor that it will hit the floor buttered side down.

HOW COME EVERY TIME MY BUTTERED BREAD FALLS TO THE FLOOR IT ALWAYS FALLS BUTTERED SIDE DOWN ON THE FLOOR????????</HTML>

B

Brentp

<HTML>I know, I know. . . it's physics Dr Seymour Licht, simply physics. . . . Something to due with the center of gravity, you know. Now, you could butter both side of the bread with equal amounts, and then you would increase your odds even closer to 100%, . . . or maybe it would act like David Thomas's quarter on the Wendy's commercial.

And as for the notch on the butter KNIFE, . . . . isn't that your tooth pick, . . . Ms. Manners??

LOL I am getting so much out of these place setting threads that I am sure the cruise staff will be mightly impressed with us on our next cruise! Educated cruises we are now. :)</HTML>

L

lavenderlilee

<HTML>the big question is:

if bread always falls butterside down and a cat always lands on its feet. what happens if you drop a cat with a piece of buttered bread stuck to its back :? :? :?</HTML>

D

DR. SEYMOUR LICHT

<HTML> If it was my bread the cat would have eaten the bread before it landed on the floor hence the cat would land on all fout feet!!!</HTML>