Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Mobay and Barrett tours

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by Nancy M., Apr 8, 2004.

1. Nancy M.

Nancy M. Guest

I am thinking about booking a tour with Carol Barrett tours while we are in Montego Bay. Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about this tour group. We are focusing on going on just a tour of the country and nothing imparticular. It would probably be just me and my husband unless there is anyone else that we run into that would like to join us. Any thoughts on this?

2. turkeyman

turkeyman Guest

From my viewpoint, you can't go wrong with the Barretts. We didn't actually book with them, but "jumped on the wagon" with some people we had met here, on "Cruise Addicts."

This is how it went down. Amy, (the person we met online, on this website), booked the tour and asked, via this site, if there were any more people who would like to go. Before a day was up, we had twelve people going on this tour. The trip was $240. Divide that by 12 people and you come up with $20 bucks a head. I think you can schedule your tour with them to fit your needs. If you want others, find out who else is going and who's interested in the tour you've arranged.

Our first stop on the tour was Rosehall Beach. Simply gorgeous. Cost about 3 or 4 dollars there. Palm trees, beautiful beach, and quietness. After 2 or three hours there, we rode up into the rain forrest to a waterfall and saw banana plantations. So cool and pleasant up in the hills. We went to a craft "mall" where people to handmade stuff and bought some souveniers. Went to a rustic school, and saw the children of the land playing with paper airplanes.,(I don't think gameboys have made it down there yet).
    Next we went to a jerk-chicken stand and had a marvelous meal for about 5 dollars. Delicious chicken, with cooked breadfruit, and festival, a bread made on the island. (Red-Stripe beer too, compliments of a fellow poster on this board, Sodey). This all emcompassed about 5 hours. Carolyn dropped me and the wife at Margarittaville while she took the others back to the ship. She returned shortly and took us back.

The Barretts know the country, the people, and where to take visitors, so as not to put anyone in harms way. They know the culture and mores of the people and talk openly about their habits and customs. It's an educational tour as well.

I trust you have their website. If not, it's www.barrettadventures.com

Turkeyman

3. rebellee

rebellee Guest

Hi... we are booked with Carolyn Barrett for our May 2nd cruise and had read many reviews before booking and they are ALL great! Not one bad word that we could find. We are a group of 4 adults, 2 teen boys, 2 pre-teen girls and are going to the YS Falls/Tubing tour and are very excited. My friend was the one to book this and has corresponded with Carolyn quite a bit and she seems very knowledgeable and very nice!

I will TRY to remember to post a follow up and let you know how things went. We have booked with Native Way Watersports in Cayman to do the stingray thing... we've all been to Cozumel before, so we are taking a taxi and just going to the park to snorkel/swim and hang out.

Post Edited (04-08-04 20:07)

4. Sodey

Sodey Guest

I will "Ditto" Turkeyman. Amy's mom and dad jumped onto my tour that was similar to Turkeyman's and that's how Amy found Carolyn Barrett. I was so pleased with Carolyn and wanted to help her out that I decided to buy Amy's group all a Red Stripe when they got to the Jerk stand. (Just to toast a good hearty time). One word of caution though. You want to book early as Carolyn is getting very popular. She has only two vans. One for her and one for her husband. She is not some large company with many vans and guides. If you do see Carolyn, please say Hi from Tom.

"Red Stripes all around!"

5. Nancy M.

Nancy M. Guest

Did you go on the Rose Hall tour or did you just like them show you the area? We are very heavily considering one of these two but are unsure which one to do. For those of you who have been which of the two would you recommend? I want to book our tour no later than Monday. I have a little bit of time. Our cruse doesnt leave until June 27th but I know that if I put it off it will be to late.

6. Sodey

Sodey Guest

I didn't tour Rose Hall. My teenagers aren't into historical tours. They want action and are willing to learn about an area by experiencing it rather than tour an historic site.

So, we went to Rose Hall Beach for 2 1/2 hrs
    Then 45 minutes at a nice local craft fair
    Then toured a village up in the hills while carolyn talked and drove.
    We then had lunch at a local Jerk stand that Carolyn frequents
    We then went to Margaritaville even though Carolyn isn't into that place.

It started to rain pretty hard once we got to Margaritaville but soon the rainbows came out and it was just gorgeous. Our kids swam and played on the trampoline rafts while the wife and I drank margaritas and watched them have a great time.

We then did a little last minute shopping at the terminal by the ship.

We were all pretty tired by the time we got back on board.

7. Nancy M.

Nancy M. Guest

thanks to everyone who replied to this message. I have booked my tour with Barrett adventures and can hardly wait. I know we still have 78 days till cruising but I am SO excited. I am going to keep posting on the boards to see if anyone would like to join us on this tour to take the rates down some but even if no one wants to join us I don't think that $20 an hour for someone to show us their country is a bad price.

8. jenibq

jenibq Guest

We're going on a May 2nd cruise too. Is yours on the Conquest? We will be in Jamaica on May5th. I've emailed Carolyn Barrett about your same tour, but haven't heard back yet? Any chance you are going to the same place at the same time and have room for my husband and me on your tour?

9. jwmcq

jwmcq Guest

Jenibg-
    I just got an e-mail from Carolyn today and our tour is now a group of 18! So, may as well be 20 - come on! Carolyn assured me that we would be on a bus, not a 15 passenger van. Yes we are also on the Conquest May 2. (we are the group of 8 that Rebellee mentioned earlier.)

I had e-mailed Carolyn because I had read on this message board that there was a problem with with the river due to lack of rain. This was her response:

"As of yesterday, the water level was still too low for tubing, but we had a fun time at Black River in the afternoon instead. We are having a most unusual weather situation in Jamaica this winter and the water level is too low for fun tubing.
    Even in our 'dry season' it generally rains in the mountains right behind YS Falls every day (to the tune of 80 inches per year). There is a permanent sign in the gift shop at YS telling people that there is a 96% chance of rain today. Generally that is very true and keeps the water level of the falls at a comfortable level for tubing year round. The only other time we have had to cancel was last summer when we had too much rain and the river was a bit too fast. Last week was the first time it has been cancelled for being too low and we all expected we would have rain to fill it up again any minute. April is the beginning of the summer rains.
    Another problem is that YS Falls does not have a land phone and there is no cell phone reception at the falls, so I can't call the owner and ask if the water level is up, I can only watch the passing clouds on the mountains and hope they are dropping rain on the south side. It has started raining as of yesterday a bit. Today is cloudy and will certainly rain. By the 5th of May there should be plenty of water. If there still isn't, I will write you the week before.
    We have 18 scheduled for the 5th. I will be along on the trip to make things go smoothly."

10. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

Hi jenibq !
    We are on the May 2nd Conquest sailing also.We have booked with Barretts for a tour including rafting on the Martha Brae River, a waterfall, shopping, lunch at place for jerk and Red Stripe, and a couple of other things. There are 10 of us in the group and you are welcome to join in with us if this interests you. We would love to have you. It sounds like a really good trip. Someone else recommended it to us. The Barretts come highly recommended so I was happy we got booked with them in time.

This is our 6th cruise and it is still just as exciting as the 1st one. Woo-hoo!!
    Let me know if you are interested and I will tell her to add 2 more. Hope to see you on the ship.

11. PLG

PLG Guest

BEWARE, all is NOT well with Barretts, when it goes good it goes good, but there are others out there who didn't not speak up till after I reported we had a BAD time with Barretts. Read my posting. Pat
    PS rest of trip was GREAT!!! This ,however, was a very rough start, to a dream vacation I wanted to take my parents on!!

12. jwmcq

jwmcq Guest

Belizemama,
    I think we are on the same tour. Carolyn said that we were a group of 18 now. (If you have 10 and we have 8) You just described the same trip that we have been booked for since the first of March. Please tell me about your group - Where are you from, etc. I look forward to meeting you!

PLG,
    I am so sorry that your trip went badly. I know how disappointed I would be if that happened to us. You should contact Carolyn again if you feel you deserve a refund. She told me that she had "handled" any who had contacted her. I posted part of her e-mail to me above. Here it is in its entirety. Also, I had used the term "unhappy campers" in my e-mail. When it was in context with my e-mail it did not sound insulting as it may now :

Thank you for your note. I don't know what is being said, but one tour last week went out with a driver I thought could handle it, but it went terribly wrong. It was a fluke, I always go along on a big bus as the tour guide if we have more than 14 people and use a bigger bus. we did it yesterday with 17 people and I am sure they will rate the day as very satisfactory.
    As for the tour last week, I have handled any unhappy campers who have contacted me since then and I will make sure there are no more days like that. It is not how I run my business. I hope one unhappy person will not destroy the unblemished reputation I have had for the last several years.
    As of yesterday, the water level was still too low for tubing, but we had a fun time at Black River in the afternoon instead. We are having a most unusual weather situation in Jamaica this winter and the water level is too low for fun tubing.
    Even in our 'dry season' it generally rains in the mountains right behind YS Falls every day (to the tune of 80 inches per year). There is a permanent sign in the gift shop at YS telling people that there is a 96% chance of rain today. Generally that is very true and keeps the water level of the falls at a comfortable level for tubing year round. The only other time we have had to cancel was last summer when we had too much rain and the river was a bit too fast. Last week was the first time it has been cancelled for being too low and we all expected we would have rain to fill it up again any minute. April is the beginning of the summer rains.
    Another problem is that YS Falls does not have a land phone and there is no cell phone reception at the falls, so I can't call the owner and ask if the water level is up, I can only watch the passing clouds on the mountains and hope they are dropping rain on the south side. It has started raining as of yesterday a bit. Today is cloudy and will certainly rain. By the 5th of May there should be plenty of water. If there still isn't, I will write you the week before.
    We have 18 scheduled for the 5th. I will be along on the trip to make things go smoothly.
    Best,
    Carolyn

13. Belizemama

Belizemama Guest

Jeannette,
    I am not sure we are on the same tour...although I love to meet new people. When I booked, Carolyn told me that she was already booked for that day and so her husband would be taking us. We are not going tubing...we are going rafting on the Martha Brae River. We have done this twice before and it has kind of become our tradition when in Jamaica. Funny thing is: we had the same rafter both times and the trips were about 3 years apart. What a strange coincidence!

There are 5 couples going and we intend to have a great time. I can't tell you what cabin(s) we are in because I don't know yet. Just look for a rowdy (?) group of 10. We are in our late 40's to early 50's but we can't quite come to grips with that so we will just pretend we are in our 30's...okay?
    I have very short blonde hair and I am short (5'2"). One of us has short dark hair, and is also short like me. One of us will probably have a hat on most of the time because she is a "hat person". My husband will most likely have on some tropical print shirt or other. He has about 20 that he loves to wear when we cruise. Go figure.
    We are all from the Panhandle of Florida (now at least). This is our 6th cruise. The first on the Conquest, but the 3rd on Carnival. We have been going to Italy a lot lately since our daughter married an Italian and has lived there for 5 years, but they are back now and we can go back to our "fun" vacations.

Anyone else on this sailing, please look us up if possible. I would love it.

Vicki, (and Bonnie, and Marty, and Cathy, and Rosie, and Rick and Larry, and Ed, and David, and Ken)

Post Edited (04-18-04 22:31)

14. PLG

PLG Guest

I just e-mailed 2 other families I met on the message board that were on the BAD trip to see if what Carrol said was true. They were 8 of the others sorely dissappointed. Keep in contact to see how things are going. They send people everyday to these places even if there are no phones she could know what's up.

15. PLG

PLG Guest

Carol lied, I contacted the other who's visit to Jamaca was trashed by Barretts and she has done nothing to make things right. She offered a personal tour next time we visit?????? That's what we paid for last time. Seriously, not going to happen. It would have been better business to have offered us a partial refund with all the problems we had. In the end it would have made her more money then she lost. I would have bragged her up for being a fair person who handles thing in a professional manner.

16. Cinderellie

Cinderellie Guest

Hi, we are going on the 8/29 Conquest.

My husband and I have two children -- 14 YO boy and 10 YO girl who are good athletes and swimmers, yet become bored easily.

On the other hand, neither my husband nor I are athletic at all -- I can swim well, but he CAN'T, but are interested in going on one of Carolyn's tou -- all 4 of us.

What would you recommend to entertain the kids, most of all? Yet not freak out my hubby who can't swim? Yet have us feel safe while in Jamaica.

Thanks in advance.

17. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

The good parts and bad parts of the previous postings makes me want to schedule all my shore excursions through the cruise line. I know I will pay more, but I'm fairly sure I will receive a better response in case of problems on the tour, or if the tour is basically a disaster.

Jim

18. Sodey

Sodey Guest

jimlinalf,
    Good idea! You keep booking through the cruise line and leave the true adventure to others. How many people don't leave their home to go to work in the morning until they know all the traffic lights will be green? I may be lucky, but I also do as much as I can to investigate who I sign up with. My reward was better shore tours at a lower price and allowed me to make some good friends along the way. For you, the ship tours are a better fit. I'll keep going out on my own and we'll both have an enjoyable trip because we are individuals with differing ideas and have fun in different ways.

The main thing is to keep cruising!

19. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

So true Sodey
    Thanks for not putting me down about my opinion I really appreciate that. I'm just not as adventurous as I once was. Having spent many thousands of miles in an old vw bus years ago I too can appreciate going off on your own and the fun and interesting people you meet. It's all about choices and people doing what suits them best. If I do see something that looks interesting to me I wouldn't cross it off just because the ship didn't schedule it for me. Just a new cruiser being careful for now.

Jim

20. Mychelle

Mychelle Guest

Jim,

My husband and I previously used the ship tours also. It just felt "safer" to us. This time around (4-4-04) we booked everything ourselves, and ended up on a horrible tour with Barrett's Adventure in Jamaica. The other tours though, were fine.

One thing I think I have learned from this. If you read a good review, ask exactly WHEN the person dealt with the tour company, it may have been years ago. I never did this when I read all the reviews about Barretts. At one time, they might have been a great tour company, but now things have definitely gone awry! I'm even beginning to think that some tour companies may offer discounts to those that post favorable reviews and send customers their way, as I warned on a "local" Jamaica site about the Barretts, but didn't heed their warnings.

That's another good place to get info...find some local boards and get their opinions, sometimes they are better than "vacation" boards. Now if I only would have listened! :)