Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

more questions about Maasdam

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by red stripe, Sep 9, 2004.

1. red stripe

red stripe Guest

number one.... how many formal nights on a ten day cruise on this ship?

unless I am thinking about another cruise-line :grin... I seem to recall that HAL used to have 3 formal nights on a 10 day cruise, and about two semi-formal nights.. somehow I think this may no longer be the case :((

also, anyone out there that has sailed recently on this ship/itinerary

Eastern Caribbean

sea day
    Half moon Cay
    Sea
    St. Thomas
    Antigua
    St. Maarten
    San Juan
    sea
    sea

What night was the Dutch night on?

thanks a lot.

2. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Three formal nights on a ten day cruise.

3. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Hi red,

Maasdam is still up here doing the Canada/New England route, so it may be some time before she returns to her regular 10-night itinerary. In our case, on the first night of the cruise we asked our waiter when Dutch night was going to be -- we also asked when making our reservations in the Pinnacle Grill and, as expected, we got the same answer. I'm pretty sure it will not be the first night of the cruise.

I really wish I could join you all... we loved this ship.

4. red stripe

red stripe Guest

Somehow I figured that the semi-formal nights had bit the dust, but am glad that so far they are still hanging on to the 3 formals.
    Lisa,
    Yes, I knew that it was held later on in the cruise, But wondered if anyone knew for sure.
    I will ask as you suggested. Sorry that you are not on this one also. It seems that there is only a small group of us, but a nice one.

There will be people that I will meet for the first time, and old friends from other cruises.

5. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

Red,

The semi-formal nights are alive and kicking. I believe there will be two on our Maasdam cruise.

Orcrone

6. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Come to think of it, Dutch night was held on a semi-formal night on our cruise. DH is wearing a suit in the photo of him with the cap, and he wore his suit only once. (He wore a tuxedo on formal nights.)

We had just one semi-formal night on the seven-night cruise. :( It makes sense that there would be more on a 10-nighter.

7. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Semi-formal night on HAL is called Informal. It is rarely on Dutch Night as most commonly, there is a deck barbeque the same night. NOT positively for EVERY cruise but for many/most.

8. red stripe

red stripe Guest

thanks.. I remember it as "semi-formal" also.. and glad to hear that it is still alive... on those night the guys used to wear the dinner jackets.. and the ladies wore cocktail dresses.. I would bet that is out :lol

Now in Brit speak.... "Formal" would mean tails :lol and I do not even want to go there :grin

9. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Gents in jackets --- tie optional.

10. red stripe

red stripe Guest

sail.... THAT is semi-formal these days?? I call that casual :lol

11. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

Sail,

Gentlemen in jackets? Anyone who knows me would say that means I'm required to dress casual.

12. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

HAL does not have semi-formal.

They have casual, INFORMAL and Formal.

INFORMAL is gents in jackets with tie optional.

13. red stripe

red stripe Guest

just got an email reply from HAL about the Maasdam sailing..
    and thanks to all who answered this, and my other questions.
    ========================================================================

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the ms Maasdam departing October 30, 2004. Holland America will be delighted to welcome you back on board as one of our valued Mariners.

There will be 3 formal, 2 informal and 5 elegantly casual evenings in the Main Dining Room on board the ms Maasdam departing October 30, 2004.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Our valued Mariner's comments or suggestions are always welcome and very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again in the near future.

Thank you for your continued patronage!

Kind Regards,

Teresa
    Internet Department
    Holland America Line, Inc.
    (877) SAIL-HAL

14. red stripe

red stripe Guest

ediyed it to change the terms used lol

15. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

There was a statement in there that said "we value our Mariner's comments". You should write them and suggest they don't cancel you anymore :)

I wonder what elegant casual is.. Is that like dressing in business casual?

16. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

Maureen,

For guys I'm assuming elegant casual is something like Dockers pants and a nice pullover shirt with several buttons at top. As for women I stopped wearing women's clothing a while ago.

17. bookworm

bookworm Guest

I think they are saying 'elegantly casual' to try to clue some newer HAL cruisers into the fact that what used to be called just plain 'casual' does NOT mean jeans and T-shirts. Unfortunately a lot of these folks believe designer jeans (which can be almost anything) qualify as elegant.

18. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Elegantly Casual......

Think 'country club casual'. I know that many/most do not go to country clubs every weekend, but I think the description conjures up an image of a neat, elegant, casual look. A shirt/polo with a collar; a pressed neat pair of pants (clean, pressed Dockers are fine.) (The elegant part probably pertains more to the ladies than the gents. :) )

19. JohnG

JohnG Guest

You can see my review of our late Feb/early Mar 2004 cruise on Maasdam from Norfolk at <http://www.cruise-addicts.com/reviews/readreview.php?id=0000002931> It specifies which days were formal, informal, Dutch night, etc.
    They have since then adjusted the itinerary so that the ship does arrive and leave on time. However, the consequence is that the last port day in San Juan is from 7am -1pm and sometimes that is a Sunday when nothing is open.
    Any time of year the trip the first day out and the last day at sea can be a bit choppy as the ship rounds Cape Hatteras.
    I live 9 miles from the pier in Norfolk.

20. JohnG

JohnG Guest

Dutch night was a casual night, and was the night we dined in the Pinnacle Grill.