My 70's rock and romance cruise on Celebrity summit

George C

We were on this cruise last week. This is a chartered cruise by StarVista they have 6 types of cruises, week before ours was 60's flower power, they also have country, oldies , disco and soul cruises. This costs more that most cruises but we thought it was worth the money. One of the main things we like about cruises is all the live music and this certainly had that. Michael McDonald, STXT, Air Supply, America , BJ Thomas , Poco , Guess Who and others. Lots of great cover bands were also there groups like War played at the pool. What we also found very interesting was the interviews , all the major artist had a interview that you could attend followed by a autograph session, I had some old albums signed, some people had there guitars signed. Interviews were extremely interesting telling how groups were formed stories about being produced by George Harrison or performing at concert for Bangladesh. These charters are very popular and many book it every year, we wanted to book flower power for 2019 and all the suites were sold out even though they just went on sale previous week. We did book sky suite for 2019 , this was 5 day cruise , I believe all the others were 7 days. Had not sailed on Summit before and liked ship and really liked the suite perks of private dinning room and suite lounge which had free drinks all day. These cruises are non cancelable so we booked insurance just in case.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
so..... did you have any dress code issues or were you ok? Being a charter it could have been different. The M class is my favorite of what X has at sea now. That midship elevator saves wear and tear on the knees. Where was your suite ?

George C

Was not impressed by suite smallest we have been in in a long time, but great location, midship by elevator 6102. There was a group of 6 close to us in suite dinning room , 2 had baseball caps , after one removed his shoes during the meal we then requested another table for the next night . Was very cool talking and getting picture taken with one of America in suite lounge, all the artist seemed to appricate there fans. Also was in elevator with BJ Thomas and he said he said hello to all and shook everyone’s hands. Our main issue was many acts at same time , so you needed to pick and choose what to do, also not much time for naps.

Flyingfish

Wow, sounds great! I lurk over all cruise boards and this is the first time I've heard of these cruises. We've been on cruises where unbeknownst to us we shared the cruise with a "charter." One being a jazz charter. We too enjoyed some of the spill off of that one. Was this a 100% charter. It does sound that way. Thanks for the heads up George, something we can look for in the future. :smiley15:

George C

Yes this was a 100 percent charter, you got either a silver or gold card, gold card which we had main show was before late dinner, silver after early dinner. Some people lined up hours before the show to get front row seats , they opened doors for our show at 6pm and show was 30 mins later. We normally got there about 5:45 and got great seats for all shows , they were pretty good in stopping people from running up to stage and blocking views.

BSeabob

Forum Manager
Staff member
Was not impressed by suite smallest we have been in in a long time, but great location, midship by elevator 6102. There was a group of 6 close to us in suite dinning room , 2 had baseball caps , after one removed his shoes during the meal we then requested another table for the next night . Was very cool talking and getting picture taken with one of America in suite lounge, all the artist seemed to appricate there fans. Also was in elevator with BJ Thomas and he said he said hello to all and shook everyone’s hands. Our main issue was many acts at same time , so you needed to pick and choose what to do, also not much time for naps.
A thing about X and RCL after the take over is their cabin size has been, how should I put this ... ah.... not on the generous side and that runs up into the lower cat suites which are kinda just rooms mostly. If you travel on an M class again give me a buzz before you book. I have secrets. lol. They are so secret that X has raised their cat status and now charge more money. M CLass aft cabins have large balconies.