Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

My take on Carnival's Short cruise market

Discussion in 'Carnival Cruise Lines' started by Ken_2001, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

It's nice they are responding to the "short cruise market", but they just won't bring their ships up here to NYC for some reason or the other. For us who live in the northeastern US, it's not worth the expense and trouble of catching an airplane for a three or four day cruise. It's reccomended that a flight arrives a day before your cruise, so now, the short cruise turns into an entire work week. So Carnival? This does us in the N.Eastern US no good.

. Carnival has one ship that's based up here in NY for the summer months and that's Carnival Legend, sorry two ships, the other is Carnival Triumph. Legend sails ONLY the eastern carribean only becuase of i'ts extreme popularity and that does not change, and Triumph, 3,4 day CTN or Canada/New England.

Not much of a choice really. But for Florida, the choices are practically endless.

So Carnival.... let's get some more of your ships up here, so we can take advantage of a "short Cruise" How about leave on a thursday, and come back on a sunday?

Edited to say Carnival victory lives here for the summer months, not Triumph

Post Edited (03-26-04 16:02)

2. Sophie

Sophie Guest

hey ken it might me a yankee thang!! lol (teasing) you are right, the possibilities are ENDLESS if you are in Florida.

3. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Oh big time sophie...which is exactly my point. If your in Florida, there's no problem what so ever booking any cruise of any length. You'd be surprised of the limited amount of choices the cruise lines are giving us in NY.

I'd love even to go down to our dock and see some of the new mega ships that come out. But that doesn't happen as they are making 90% of their new ships in the homeport somwhere in florida.

I asked Carnival if they are going to bring up the Conquest, or the Valor. and they say "nope". So I guess I'll just enjoy our nice little tug boats and commuter ferries.

Oh wait...I think the 20,000 ton Hanseatic is going to be here. :lol

4. lebelty

lebelty Guest

Its called the Jones Act, it basically states that for a ship to go from US port to US port, that there needs to be a forgien port inbetween, such as Canada, Bermuda, the Bahamas, ect. Short cruises can be done out of FL cuz the next forgien nation is like 4 hours away, while up in the Northeast, its like 20 hours. So, u can see how inpreatical it is for cruises lines to offer 3 nighters out of NYC, and also, it aint warm up there (or should i say here, cux i like in CT). As much as i would love for more cruises our of NYC, i know it aint gonna happen for a long time.

Does this clarify it up?

tyler

5. sevets

sevets Guest

There is one other reason.... dock space in NY is limited . Most people like to travel on the weekend and with such a limited amount of dodk space this causes a problem. Now in Carnivals defense they wanted to build a new cruise port in Brooklyn and have been talking to NY for years and they cannot get anywhere with the political mess up here. Imagine Carnival haveing there own cruise port I am pretty certain after a investment to build something like that we would see ships in all those spots. One other quick thing RCL I understand went to NJ for the same reason , they could never get a deal done with NY.

6. Sophie

Sophie Guest

the real reason is ken because you are a yankee!!!!! and there is still a grudge over that thing that sherman did to atlanta. lmao :)

7. liberty925

liberty925 Guest

ken_2001 what about the Miracle

8. beccabt

beccabt Guest

Couldn't they go to a Canadian Port ( re Jones act)? Or aren't there any close by? I guess my F in high school geography is showing ;) Damn yankees!

9. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Well I don't know about all this yankee stuff and sherman and atlanta, doesn't concern me one ioda. My interests are in restoring antique cars, not sherman! :lol

Anyhow, moving forward 300 years, Yes RC went with the Bayonne NJ peirs as they say it can handle the amount of people better then the NY ports.

Yep I'll admit, the peirs up here, they are too small, and antiquated. I believe there was some talk to upgrading them, better lighting, longer and friendlier passenger areas.

Like you say Tyler...It ain't gonna happen. but Tyler.. keep in mind that Carnival's Spirit class ships have a service speed of 23 knots. <or 24> They will get to San Juan in 2 days. But three or four day Cruises to nowhere are very popular up here. IE, Carnival Legend is booked solid for it's 3 day CTN in October. Rebecca, yes they can and they do. Golden Princess sails those routes, they are 5 nights round trip.

So you say, well there ya go!! NOPE! Carnival Victory does that all summer long from March till October, something like that.

Yes, i'ts very unfortunate, but the choices that we have are very anemic

Liberty925, CM will be seen here something like twice. that's it.

Hey sophie... come forward to the 21st century!!! :lol:lol

10. Sophie

Sophie Guest

Hey Ken move DOWN here to AMERICA and you can cruise outta Florida ALL THE TIME lol :)

11. prettygigi

prettygigi Guest

Thank God someone at least mentioned GEOGRAPHY

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES to go from NY to the first Caribbean island? Isn't it like two days? How would it be possible to have a short cruise to the Caribben from NY???

Come on people, it's not the cruise line's fault!

One other thing, here in MIA we are complaining that all the new ships are going up North for the summer:
    Victory
    Legend
    Miracle

The spirit leaves as well, so all we have left is the Glory, the Triumph and all the other older smaller ships.

It's like the lady that complained that the Queen Mary won't do Panama Canal cruises!

12. Sophie

Sophie Guest

wow gigi you are on the ball... lol lmao @ such a very good & obvious point. :) especially the queen mary down the panama canal ..... go figure

13. Camelia

Camelia Guest

Tyler said "Its called the Jones Act, it basically states that for a ship to go from US port to US port, that there needs to be a forgien port inbetween, such as Canada, Bermuda, the Bahamas, ect". How does Carnival then go from Tampa or Ft Lauderdale with first stop Key West? Unless I am mistaken, both ports are in the US.

14. diverdiver

diverdiver Guest

There has to be a foreign port SOMEWHERE in the itinerary - it doesn't matter which stop..unless it is an American flagged and registered and crewed vessel. That's why there were/are so few Hawaii cruises. The old United States line was the only one to do that. NCL has been doing 7-day Hawaii cruises for a few years, but have to spend 3 days of those 7 dipping down to Fanning Island (Kiribiti) to get that foreign port in. Their two new ships, though, will be American flagged and crewed. Unless New Yorkers are satisfied with 3 and 4 night cruises zigging up to Canada, there won't be any market for short cruises out of the NY/NJ area. It's also one reason why Disney hasn't done 3 and 4 night cruises out of CA. Ensenada isn't exactly where most people want to go. Carnival and RCI do them, but the short cruises out of FL are much more popular. Short cruises aren't for me. I'm a 7-night minimum kind of girl!

15. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

Gigi..yep!! you are on the money...I posted up higher on this string that thanx to Carnival's Spirit class vessels and their highter knot speeds, they can get to San Juan in two days, barring there are no storms and stuff.

The short cruises here in NY <about 5 days or so> sail the Canada/New England route. I believe it's Carnival Victory, So there's the foreign port there. Carnival Legend lives up here for the entire summer, and CM will be here for a short stink. LOL! stint.

I would love to have seen Carnival Valor, but I have to check my facts exactly, but I think her home port is New Orleans. Now, in '06, Carnival Liberty is coming over from the Italian ship yard Fincantieri. Her home port and cruising schedule has yet to be announced. Who's going to be the lucky one to see her.?

Gigi, I think you guys were the first to see QM2, lucky stiffs!! :thumb

Regarding the QM2 sailing through the Canal..Can you imagine? :lol She sure ain't panamax sized vessel. But WOW! that would be some site!

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Port Canaveral CM's home port? I'm guessing for the winter months, CM will be sailing from that port. But she sailed right to Port Canaveral I believe from Helsinki, so that must have been nice for you guys to see. Oh it sure made news up here! Her stack cleared that bridge by 6 feet!

Diver....I'm with you all the way. also, Sure I'd prefer the 7-8 days cruises by far! But it's sure nice to get away for a weekend. I posted earlier Carnival Legend is sailing a CTN in October. Leaves on a friday, and comes back on a sunday. Three days. She's booked solid.

Anyhow, I'm just thinking out loud. You guys have a great day! Edited to add this..

Beginning in December 2004, the Carnival Valor -- the largest Carnival “Fun Ship†based at the Port of Miami will sail on 7 Day Eastern and Western Caribbean cruising

It would be nice to see the Valor, but that might prove difficult.

Post Edited (03-29-04 12:21)

16. diverdiver

diverdiver Guest

I think you'll see a number of those Carnival CTN shorties, Ken! They're big money-makers...especially in your area. Most of the new ships leave for the summer to do Alaska, European, and Far Eastern cruises, so there's always a lack of ships for summer Caribbean cruising.

17. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

We would love to do some cruising up Canada way, but the New England Island hopping on the way doesn't appeal to me. I'm a Floridian married to a Cape Cod gal so I've been to the Islands and coastal Mass. cities several times already. We would love to do a fall Canadian cruise but work and finances hurt that possibility.

Jim

18. snowball

snowball Guest

Ken - Carnival Miracle's home port is going to be Tampa, not Port Canaveral.

19. Ken_2001

Ken_2001 Guest

AH! yes thanks Debbie. I couldn't remember exactly :thumb Diver, I hear you on that one! As I said earlier, CL is booked! And this is this coming October! SHEESH!! :lol and that's like a Friday-sunday

Jim...the wife and I scraped up enough cash to swing a Canada/New England cruise on Golden Princess.. like you, we've been there, done that. When her sister ship, Grand Princess was christened here in NY some years back, I swore with a passionI would sail her. She was so, so big and beautiful and very inviting

Things didn't work out exactly like that as Grand Princess was pretty much repositioned for the Mediteranian Itineraries.

Long story short, from my window on the 59th floor at Rockefeller Center, I saw what I thought was the Grand Princess, I whipped out the binoculars and saw it was her sister, Golden Princess, I called my TA, she said it goes up North to Canada, whipped out my credit card, said, "whatyda got"? she said Empress forward, 201. I said BOOK IT NOW!!! :lol paid like 300 bucks PP and my dream came true.

Hope you like that one!

20. Cruisin Gal

Cruisin Gal Guest

Ok. Here's what ya do. Ya'll take a 1 or 2 week vacation. Come down here to Florida and visit my state. Check out the different parts of the state, Miami, the Everglades, the west coast, the Space Center, Disney World, St. Augustine and all our beautiful places here. Many people don't even know that not long ago Florida was the 3rd largest cattle raising industry in the country! Visit our Spanish influence in South Florida and enjoy the great Cuban Cuisine.

Take a nice 4 day cruise, enjoy Sunny Florida for a bit more, relax then head back to NY. It will be the most wonderful vacation you ever took!

We'd love to have you, we'll treat you right and you'll be back again next year!