Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Need advice quickly ..Daughter & SIL dizzy and lightheaded, feel sick...gas stove....

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by Cricket, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. Cricket

    Cricket Guest

    I'm worried about them because they called up and said that they both became dizzy as they got up from their chairs in the living room. They have a gas stove, heater , and dryer...can they have carbon monoxide poisoning? is that symptoms of it? I'm worried about my little 2 year old grandson.
  2. conniecat

    conniecat Guest

    from the web. It doesn't mention the flushed, cherry red cheeks which is a good sign of poisoniing

    CO Poisoning Symptoms

    Know the symptoms of CO poisoning. At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.

    Play it Safe

    If you experience symptoms that you think could be from CO poisoning:

    DO GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY. Open doors and windows, turn off combustion appliances and leave the house.

    DO GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM and tell the physician you suspect CO poisoning. If CO poisoning has occurred, it can often be diagnosed by a blood test done soon after exposure.

    DO Be prepared to answer the following questions for the doctor:

    Do your symptoms occur only in the house? Do they disappear or decrease when you leave home and reappear when you return?
    Is anyone else in your household complaining of similar symptoms? Did everyone’s symptoms appear about the same time?
    Are you using any fuel-burning appliances in the home?
    Has anyone inspected your appliances lately? Are you certain they are working properly?

    Prevention is the Key to Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

    DO have your fuel-burning appliances -- including oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ranges and ovens, gas dryers, gas or kerosene space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves -- inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season. Make certain that the flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition, and not blocked.

    DO choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside whenever possible, have them properly installed, and maintain them according to manufacturers’ instructions.

    DO read and follow all of the instructions that accompany any fuel-burning device. If you cannot avoid using an unvented gas or kerosene space heater, carefully follow the cautions that come with the device. Use the proper fuel and keep doors to the rest of the house open. Crack a window to ensure enough air for ventilation and proper fuel-burning.

    DO call the Consumer Product Safety Commission (1-800-638-2772) at www.cpsc.gov for more information on how to reduce your risks from CO and other combustion gases and particles.
  3. ShipMaven

    ShipMaven Guest

    What Connie said. I would recommend they get outdoors immediately and call 911.

    Good luck. Let us know what happens.
  4. The Cruiser

    The Cruiser Guest

    And Call the Gas Company to check for leaks.
  5. Cricket

    Cricket Guest

    My daughter just called and she said they opened windows, then went to the store to buy a detector. They came back home and so far it isn't showing anything positive. They both on two different occasions were lightheaded and dizzy, so they are concerned. My daughter still feels dizzy but my SIL feels better. he felt better after leaving the house. I am now wondering though if since they have some windows opened, will that deter the monitor from detecting anything?
  6. nieciez

    nieciez Guest

    They should still have the gas company come out and check to make sure. Hope all goes well.
  7. GloBug

    GloBug Guest

    I agree. The should call the gas company.
  8. BostonsJ

    BostonsJ Guest

    The gas company has very sensitive equipment which will pick up minute gas leaks. They should call them and have them check out the house. The last thing you want is for them to be sleeping there tonight if there is a leak.
  9. bostongal

    bostongal Guest

    I would have them call as well to get it checked out. Don't take any chances.

    Hope all is well - =hug

  10. Whimsy

    Whimsy Guest

    I agree, get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
  11. ShipMaven

    ShipMaven Guest

    And another vote to call the gas company immediately! I would not sleep in the house until everything is investigated. Gas leaks (if there is one) can pose many dangers, including explosions and fires.
  12. conniecat

    conniecat Guest

    One day at work, they were putting up a new building next door, and they had the asphalt company there tarring. The fumes were very bad in my corner of the store. In fact, I got dizzy and lightheaded, and so did the guy I worked with. We called the fire dept and they did not detect anything either, but I know something was wrong!
  13. sage

    sage Guest

    DD, the RN who works in the ER, said that a tell tale sign of carbon dioxide poisoning is a deep red cherry color on the underside of the tongue. The Firemen Paramedic that she works with says the detector picks up the accumalation of the fumes, and therefore, to be perfectly sure, they need the gas company to come check out any leaks. There should be no charge from the gas company. I hope that all is OK.
  14. RosieRosie

    RosieRosie Guest

    Carbon monoxide poisoning is dangerous. They could pass out. It could be a faulty gas furness - they need to have their house checked ASAP.

Share This Page