• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Need FLL Advice - Jeff Stern

L

Lady Jag

Hope this message posts okay. I just saw the forecast for this coming weekend for FLL area. The Weather Channel says Southern Florida will be getting rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We'll be there all 3 days and wanted to do an airboat tour in the Everglades. Here's my question Jeff (and anyone else that can help): when the Weather Channel says rain, does that mean scattered showers in your area or does it mean 'pouring down buckets' kind-of rain? Will it deter us from the Everglades tour?

Thanks for the help!

Bobbie

B

beachmom5

Bobbie,

We had scattered rain where I live about 100 miles north of Miami. Right now we have high winds of 25 to 30 mph and seas of 7 to 9 ft. This is of course at the beach, inland the wind is not as bad. We are expecting rain until Wed. This is mostly scattered and the weather is warm. I have web site that will keep you up to date and as soon as I find it I will send it to you. Jeff can give you up to date info also.
Connie

G

grannynanny

Lady Jag, glad you enjoyed my pictures of Radiance, I have a few more I will post in the next couple of days. I life in W. Broward County, Planation to be exact, about 15 miles west of Ft. Lauderdale Beach, are you coming for the Air & Sea show? Anyway, the weather has most definatley been pissy since yesterday, and the heavy rains they predicted never came. Just drizzling here and there. They are predicting this until Wed at least, but, we NEVER really know what the weather will be, weather forcast is almost never accurate. Anyway, hope you have a great weekend here.

S

sail7seas

grannnanny: I have seen mention of this air/sea show in several places. Would you mind explaining what it is. Thank you.

L

Lady Jag

sail7seas - I'll tell you what I know. The Air & Sea Show is an annual event similar to air shows around the U.S., but it also includes some really neat yachts. Last year, it was on the same weekend (May 6 & 7) and we had front row seats for the Blue Angels from our balcony on the Grand. This year, the show is on the same weekend (May 5 & 6) and we'll be on the Grand again, looking for the Blue Angels!

The downside to this is that the hotels and restaurants get very crowded with servicemen & women. (We were almost run over last time by a serviceman last year while we were in a crosswalk!) I'm sure people that live in the FLL area can tell you a lot more about the show.

THANKS to everyone else who responded regarding my weather question. Guess we'll go and plan on getting drenched and if we don't, we'll be pleasantly surprised!

J

jeffstern

Lady Jag: The low pressure area they were talking about began to go through south Florida yesterday. It's got a long "tail," and we're expected to have grey skies and lots of showers until Wednesday. Today's 5-day forecast was for clearing Thursday and a nice day Friday. That's as far as they predict. We've been having a severe drought, so, I guess, the rain is good. In all honesty, the long range forecasts down here mean very little. They're pretty accurate a day or two in advance, but after that it's a guess. If it's nice Friday, as predicted, it would usually stay that way for a day or two.....Good lick and bon voyage HOT!

G

garyfam

Hello - this is for Jeff Stern, who is apparently the FLL expert on these boards. Do you have a recommendation for an afternoon activity in Fort Lauderdale for the day we get off our cruiseship. We are going home the next day. I was hoping to find something that we wouldn't die from the heat on, since it will be 8/11. What are these everglades airboats I've seen mentioned? Thanx for any help.

R

Rebekah

Lady Jag,

Did you get my email about the cabin we were supposed to meet at and what time. I lost our initial email with the time. See you guys Sunday!!

Susie

J

jeffstern

Garyfam: Airboats are flat-bottomed aluminum boats that hold anywhere from 2-12 people. They have a large, airplane type propeller facing the rear, which propels the boat through very shallow water, and is very noisy! August is not a great time to visit the Everglades, due to insects. You might want to consider a local water theme park or the beach. Also, the Swap Shop is an indoor-outdoor flea market, that is also a tourist destination. They have a live circus, carnival type rides, a very large food court, etc; When you get to your hotel, you can also check out the free tourist guides that are usually available in the lobby.