Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Need Help Eliminating Odor Under Sink

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Patti-Cake, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Patti-Cake

Patti-Cake Guest

I discovered that our kitchen faucet had been leaking under the sink and into the cabinet on Saturday morning. This had to be leaking for a long time because the bottom of the cupboard was saturated and 2" up the cupboard back wall was wet as well as some cans and fixtures under there were rusted.

We pulled the faucet out and replaced it and have been drying out the cupboard since Saturday. My husband refuses to replace the cupboard and just wants to let it dry out and then put linoleum tiles down to cover the damage.

The cupboard is drying, but it smells musty. I don't want to put the tiles down until I eliminate the odor. Any suggestions on what to use? Help! I want to get my kitchen back together before company arrives this weekend.

2. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

You may want to start out by spraying bleach on all the surfaces to prevent mold from forming, and letting that dry thoroughly before attempting anything else. Mold is a serious problem.

3. CaroleH

CaroleH Guest

move? lol

4. nieciez

nieciez Guest

Ditto what Mary Ann suggested....and maybe take a small fan and have it blowing in the cabinet to expedite the drying process.

5. Rubysky

Rubysky Guest

Ditto what MaryAnn & Denise said.
    You don't want to put any covering on it until it is thouroughly dry.... all the way through, not just the surface.

Another thing to do to the inside is to remove all the damaged wood and replace that.

6. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

Where is Suer when you need her???

7. Whimsy

Whimsy Guest

I have seen some product that you can put in a closet or basement to remove a musty smell but I can't think of what it is called. I have seen it in larger grocery stores, maybe by the laundry products....

I would seriously thing about replacing what was damaged. I sell real estate and it seems to me these type of things only get worse and then if you ever go to sell someone else will want it replaced. You replace it and they get to enjoy. Might as well enjoy it yourself!

8. red stripe

red stripe Guest

even in true wood cupboards.. the floors of them under the sink are pressed board.. if this is the case, then the water has already penetrated all the way through, and the "wood" is buckled and swollen.. if this is the case, then although spraying with Clorox will initially get rid of the smell.. it will soon resurface.. besides.. you are adding more liquid to something already saturated and warped by liquid.
    It needs to come out and replaced.
    covering it with tile and I would presume caulk to hold it down.. will only mask the problem for a while.

9. GloBug

GloBug Guest

I would think you would want to tear it out and make sure that there is no mold growing now, especially since you dont' know how long it's been leaking down there. Mold can be a VERY nasty thing, not just for your home, but for you, too. I wouldn't play around with this. As for the smell, I would probably use a dozen boxes of baking soda! LOL!

But seriously, I really doubt you will be fixed and ready for this weekend, it will take a long time just to dry out....

10. red stripe

red stripe Guest

but one thing about a cupboard... you can tear out the floor.. spray with clorox.. then put in the boxes of soda.. and close the door.. Your company need not know.

11. GloBug

GloBug Guest

There you go!!!

12. suer182

suer182 Guest

What CaroleH said

13. Patti-Cake

Patti-Cake Guest

Thanks for all your responses. Now if I was married to a handyman, he would have a little project on his hands. For now, I have sprayed it with Mountain Fresh Clorox and have been drying the cupboard out with a fan blowing in there since Saturday. After our company leaves I'll have to hire someone to do the job right. Thanks again for your help.