• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New charges for Pinnacle Grill

E

earl_m

I finally book on friday for the pinnacle grill for my cruise on
nov12, it will cost me 20.00 each , i will be going on the second night.
its my first time going to the pinnacle grill.
whats a normal tip.

J

Joanandjoe

[quote sail7seas]You can book directly with HAL through Ships Services.
Here is the number, Earl.

800-541-1576[/quote]

Thank you, Sail. We're on several boards (including one on which you are a critical member), but this is the only post that gave us the number to call. We've prepaid for a Pinnacle dinner for tweo the night we'll be in Tortola on our 11/25 Noordam cruise.

S

sail7seas

I'm not exactly sure but think it might start to phase in not too long after the price increase goes into effect on October 1. I don't think that night you will necessarily see a new menu but they might start offering the daily special???

Enjoy your Pinnacle Dinner, Earl.
Hope it's wonderful.......hope your whole cruise is wonderful. :)

S

sage

Thanks for all the information Sail about the Pinnacle. I loved the food there and look forward to enjoying new items.

S

sail7seas

JoeandJoan and earl and sage...everyone----

Hope we all have many wonderful evenings in Pinnacle. We have enjoyed many and look forward to many more.

B

bar_20

Reporting back after our two week cruise to Hawaii on the Zaandam. We ate in the Pinnicle grill one night on the cruise. We had planned to dine a second night but the Grill was entirely booked the last week of the cruise. We were refunded our dinner for two on our final bill.
If you like meat you will like this resturant. The waiter brings a clear glass covered tray showing the cuts of meat that are available. There were two cut of filet available a petite cut and the pinnicle cut. The petite cut was about 4" in diameter and the pinnicle cut about 6" in diameter both about 1 1/2-2 inchecs thick. A Porterhouse steak that weighed about 1 1/2lb and was 2" thick and a 1 lb rib eye also 2" thick. There was also lamb chops that were of decent size. There was a chicken dish and a couple of fish dishes as well as a scampi dish. NO LOBSTER was offered. Clearly they push the beef which was excellent.
It was worth the extra $20.00 per person but not $30.00 in my view. The dinner we used was a freebe by our T/A. Book early or you might be left out if you do get a free dinner. Though the grill looked somewhat empty, they do stagger the dinner times, so it doesn't look crowded. The dinner experience took about two hours.

Steve & Donalee
Zaandam October 2006

J

Joanandjoe

Thanks for the review, Steve and Donnalee. Thanks to the input here, we booked at $20 for our 11/25 Noordam cruise. (23 days to go!). We even tried a steakhouse this week for the first time in years, just so we would have a comparison with PG. Pricey, but soooo good at the steakhouse.

Fow a while, we thought that lunch was still a $10 bargain; but there was a press release this week indicating that lunch is now $15.

J

JES

I just tried calling Ships Services to book the Pinnacle Grill.

Since mine is a Comp from my TA they wouldn't make a reservation. If I were charging to credit card they said they would make the reservation

J

JES

Maven,

Why is a passenger with a Comp from their TA a 2nd class citizen?
HAL will be getting paid or has already been paid by the TA for my Pinnacle Grill, but Ship Services tells me to handle it once on board.

S

ShipMaven

JES - there are "policies" that cruise lines have (and the policies do change from time to time) that we, as travel agents, cannot comprehend or really explain satisfactorily. And, sometimes, we're the last to know that something HAS changed. It's not just HAL...

J

JOHN(NJ)

Just my humble opinion and an observation......

We were on Noordam Nov.4th sailing.........

Our TA gifted us with 2 dinners for Pinnacle. They had a stack of those white cards that are left in your room telling you that you have a present of a Pinnacle dinner. My thought was that many TA's gave this as a bon-voyage gift.

In the grand scheme of things..... whats another 10 bucks????????

From the many empty tables I saw I guess the 10 bucks DID matter........

My perception on THIS sailing was that whoever got freebies attended, and not many wanted to foot the 10 extra bucks.

Not sure if the empty tables were because this Pinnacle was so much larger than the others I have seen. It was nice because it was quieter.

S

sail7seas

I'm not sure it is What's an extra ten bucks...... I agree that in the scheme of the cost of our cruises, what is $20 more for a couple to spend.

But, if you look at it from the perspective of that dinner now costing $60 vs. $40 not everyone thinks they want to spend that much when they can have a perfectly good dinner in the dining room. If they are happy with their table/tablemates/stewards and the food, they don't want to spend $60 plus extra tip for that dinner. Not every guest on board even knows it is an increased rate. This may be their first cruise and have no idea it used ti be $20 pp. They evaluate is it worth $30 pp to them to dine in Pinnacle. Some will think it is, some will not. That's how it should be. Pinnacle isn't designed to handle every single guest on every cruise. The main dining room is.

Personally, we very much enjoy our evenings in Pinnacle and fully plan to have (at least one more) fine dinner in Noordam's Pinnacle. Our TA is not one who gives us a free dinner. She never has. We will pay for our dinner (unless we receive a gift from someone else which has happened in the past. We always greatly appreicate that. It is VERY nice when that happens.)

J

JES

Can anyone tell me if tipping is included in the Grill charge, or is that handled separately? If separately, does HAL add a percent on to the bill?

Thanks.......

S

suer182

The 60.00 got charged to our cabin card and the tip we left separately in cash. HAL adds nothing to the food bill in regards to a tip. It is to your discretion.

A heads up, the asparagus is much better in the dining room than the Pinnacle :lol