Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

New Counter Tops

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by Whimsy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. red stripe

red stripe Well-Known Member

Marie, your countertops are so beautiful, I love your choices.

I will be looking forward to seeing what tile you choose.
    We are doing the same thing here.. waiting a while so that we get used to the other changes before we start tile selection. I have a general idea what I want to do, but no where near being able to make a decision yet.

You have a beautiful kitchen.:doubleup:

I wanted to come and look when Einstein told me that you had posted the photos of the work, but was up to my eyes here.
    having a third of the house re-floored was a whole lot easier and less stressful than this countertops work went.:hammer:

2. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

Just the opposite for me. I found the counter tops to be a breeze compared to everything else. Everything went perfect, just a few hours and they were done. We did end up having to have a new garbage disposer when the plumber came but in the end I am happy. It's quieter than the old one.

For the backsplash I am waiting to see if they can produce me tile sized thickness squares of matching Cambria that I could use for inserts. If so, I want to use 4 or 6 inch tiles with some 2 or 3 inch accent pieces. I think putting something up with too much patterns, color, etc would be too busy for my personal taste. I am thinking a creamy color tile with just the accents. I want to lighten up the back ground. I also found battery operated LED undercabinet lights I want to add when everything is done. I will try to find some photos later of what I am thinking with the tile.

3. red stripe

Marie.. ditto for me on the tiling, I do not want to go "busy" and am thinking about a few tiles that accent the black without overwhelming it all, and then the rest.. restful.

I like your lighting also...

We want to take down the main light over the sink area and replace it . Plus we are replacing the under-cupboard lights also. I want them all on one switch, right now they are on two.

I look forward to seeing your ideas.

4. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

Red, I was just about to ask for photos but I see you are posting some. What I have seen so far looks beautiful.

Here are a few ideas I am thinking about. I just called a tile shop and they said they can sit down and spruce it up just a bit as I feel these are too plain in a pattern but you can get the idea about what I mean with just a solid color against the busy countertops with some accent pieces thrown in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. red stripe

Yes, that is about where I am heading also. just some accents to break it up, and the rest plain and restful on the eye.

I know that I want bigger tiles and not tiny ones, and I would like to see about getting some tumbled marble and doing it or having it done the same way my brother Martin did.. no grout lines. his kitchen backsplash area looks smashing. other than that.. I am still gathering ideas

6. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

Do you have some photos of what your brother did? I am open minded at this point on most anything.

7. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

Beautiful!!!!

8. Geekette

Geekette Well-Known Member

Beautiful kitchen. Love the cabinets and counter top together. Enjoy!
    Pat

9. red stripe

Marie, I do not have photos.
    But he took the tumbled marbled tiles and put them up without any grout lines.

The experts will tell you this can not be done successfully, but his has been up for around 17 years and not one problem. The seamless look is wonderful, and so easy to clean.
    martin is no slouch when it comes to home renovations, he has restored the old farmhouse where they live, putting in his own walls and flooring and a thousand things. So if Martin says I can do it.. I will give it a try.
    In one room most of the lighting is done with those picture highlight lights. And they are all mounted without any cords showing and all tied into one switch. It is a subtle beautiful look.

Right now he is turning over 75 foot of the chicken barn into an amazing model train club with his son and a few friends.

Martin is my renovation hero:biggrin:

10. NiteStar

NiteStar Well-Known Member

VERY nice whimsy!! I really like your whole kitchen! :sunny:

11. jk

jk Well-Known Member

Marie, I LOVE your new kitchen so far! We have similar tastes as that is the color of granite that I would love to have some day. Will you come here and do my decorating for me??