• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New to Celebrity-Have some questions....

T

Tanya

I have cruised with HAL, Princess and RCCL, but never Celebrity. I have heard a lot of good things about Celebrity and wanted to try it.

We booked a 11 day cruise on the Constellation for December 1. We originally were going to book a balcony cabin, but decided to go the Concierge Class Balcony rooms instead since the cost was only $50.00 more per person. Our room number is 9127.

I have a few questions:

1. I have been told two separate things in relation to the dress code on the ship. I was told at one place there was only 2 formal nights and in another was told there was 3. Does anyone know which is correct? Do people tend to dress up more on this line than the 3 I have already been on (mentioned above) or is it about the same? I am one who likes to be casual because I had to dress up for work all these years and have learned to despise heels....but at the same time, want to fit in and therefore want to be prepared in case there is 3 formal nights.

2. Anyone stay in this cabin or near it? How is the view from this area and the noise from above? I read where some of the Sky Deck cabins are overshadowed by the deck above and that is fine with me because we would prefer more shade on our balcony....but how is the noise and view?

3. Can you have the dining room deliver your meals on occasion to your room to be served on the balcony? (We have always wanted to do this)

4. Is room service, especially breakfast, good on Celebrity?

5. Can anyone recommend a hotel in the Ft. Lauderdale port area that we can stay at the night before our cruise that may offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the port and maybe even free parking while on the cruise?

Is there anything about Celebrity that you can add here that might be interesting to know?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Tanya

C

Conniemc

[size=medium]1) 2 Formals. You can find your answers here - they have just "lowered" the standards of dressing, which should be good for you.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bef...ame=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

2) Yes, Noise and blocked view from overhang.

3) Of course. Just ask your steward for the menu for that day.

4) Yes

5) I always recommend Pier 66, but there is a large range of hotels in the area.

I'll leave the rest to you Bob....[/size]

T

Tanya

Connie,

Your input was SO helpful. I was able to change my room from 9127 to 8137 so hopefully the view will not be obstructed here and there will be less noise. Thank you for all that you did to help....

Tanya

C

Conniemc

Smart move! Glad you were able to secure a different cabin. Will make your cruise much nicer.
Go through past Celebrity postings to get a feeling for the line....links to photo, etc.

B

BSeabob

If you enjoyed HAL and RcI you will be very comfortable on =X= ..

Connie's advice on rooms in the 9000's is a good one well done on the change. I don't have deck plans with me right now but generally the middle floor or even the 7000's are fine for overhead.

The informal dining EVEY evening sounds like it may be a choice for you although I sure recommend the main room. You can make a reservation there starting shortly after noon no need to dress up. The menu is a little restricted but food is still great. Menu repeats every 4 days or so last I checked. It takes place in the upstairs buffet area and they have pizza, sushi and other stations that are open on the other side of the buffet also.

One of the differences that we like..Only noon time announcements or directions to shore gangways. Everything else is pretty quiet. You do need to read y our daily cause it will be the only way to find out whats goin' on.

Enjoy your planning....any more questions try us..

M

Mbandy

My girlfriend Susan is cruising with a friend the end of September out of FLL. They booked the La Quinta which has an airport shuttle and a shuttle to the ship as well as free breakfast. After they stay there I'll try and remember to let you know how they liked it.

There's also a Comfort Inn with an Airport and Cruise Port Shuttle and a free breakfast. It is the one located on Stirling Road. Susan and I stayed there a couple of years ago and liked that one just fine too.

I agree with what BSea said. If you liked Royal Caribbean you'll be just fine with X I have been on 2 Celebrity cruises and was impressed both times.

D

dianeschne

Hi:

We always stay at the Holiday Inn at the Port in Miami. It is about 1 mile from the port and right across the street from a huge beautiful mall with lovely outdoor shops and restaurants. You can ask the Concierege when you arrive to have a taxi or van pick you up on the day/time you need to go to the ship and they will do that for you.

We just received a Celebrity newsletter and it said they were doing away with casual nights in the main dining room and having all smart casual (jacket and tie for men; pant suits, sun dress etc. for women) and formal nights. When you receive your pre-cruise package, it will tell you how many nights for the different dress codes.

Room service is always available and is always delicious. You are expected to give the steward that brings the meal a tip because they are not your usual steward. Celebrity is very accommodating and you will love the experience of sailing with Celebrity.

Have a wonderful trip! Our next trip on a Celebrity Ship will be a Mediterranean Cruise in Oct 2009 on the new ship, Solstice. Can't wait.

C

Conniemc

I don't know if it's because I'm usually in CC rooms or Elite or what, but my steward ALWAYS brought me my room service, no matter what the hour, including my 3am hangover cure of 3 cans of Coke a bucket of ice, french fries and a cheeseburger...:chef

I always tip them immediately upon boarding, and tell them I won't be attending the lifeboat drill and to hang the "checked room" thing on the door and I'll be weery weeery quiet - I use that time to unpack all my clothes and freshen up. Then I tip (usually a him) periodically during the cruise in addtion to the pre-paid gratuity. I'm very high maintenance.

P

PATJUD

I just returned today from the Alaska cruise on Celebrity "infinity." I enjoyed the cruise and this was my first on a Celebrity ship. There are a couple observations I can make after this cruise. Any stateroom below the Concierge category is a very very small stateroom. The ones on Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival are larger. I also found that the food was not quite as "up to par" as I expected. The menus on the other mentioned lines were more creative and I think the food was better. The breakfast menu remained the same each morning. There were two formal nights on this cruise. Many people do dress but there were a number that did not - even some jeans on formal night. It's no problem to me. I dressed. The other nights were actually as casual as one wanted to be. I have booked another Celebrity cruise but will be calling my TA to upgrade to the Concierge Category stateroom.

C

Conniemc

Hi Patjud,

Actually, ALL BALCONY STATEROOMS are the same, including Concierge Class. CC Class offers "amenities", not more space. The only time CC Class is worth booking, is if it's less than $100 more than a regular balcony. What cabin were you in?

And yes, they've change the chef and food last year, in my opinion, for the worse. However, I never saw anyone in a public room in blue jeans on formal night. And they certainly were never allowed in the dining room. Most experienced cruisers skip the dining room breakfast and lunch experience, and hit the many buffets or order room service.

Do you always go through a TA, or do you ever research the ship yourself on celebrity.com?

Glad you had fun.

B

BSeabob

PATJUD !!

Perhaps we were on the same cruise ??? Returned on the 5th ??

I agree that the dress was "Down" on the ship... Lots of jeans in the dining room. But you know I think they likely paid more for their jeans that I did for my pants..... :) All were accompanied by nice shirts and just what is smart casual anyways ???? Lots of suits and ties for formal night.. Not a concern for me either....

The food ..well there definitely is a change. Smaller portions which is a good thing (you can always get more if you ask) , steak was off the every day menu, I had several entrees that were over cooked which just may have been the kitchen on a bit of an off day.....and I think the price conscious bean counters may have started to have their way. Seems to me overall things just are not the same or as good as they were.

The Infinity remains a "Happy ship" overall. Crew and staff very friendly and helpful

C

Conniemc

Aha! So now you know what I meant after my last couple Celebs Bob. Smaller portions (which is fine), lesser quality food and you could "feel" the corporate influence, or bean counters as you say. Ambience changed tangibly from just a few years back. I'd forgotten about the newly lowered dress codes. I think the biggest shame is the crew is just as top notch as ever, but everything else has suffered the last year or two.

BTW - what is smart casual anyway? Here you go! :daisy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_casual

ps - she returned on the 13th - the week after you

R

r8derfan

We've cruised POV and Celebrity. The Celebrity is GREAT!! All of my friends who have cruised many times say the Celebrity was there fave.

D

daysatsea

[quote Conniemc]Hi Patjud,

Actually, ALL BALCONY STATEROOMS are the same, including Concierge Class. CC Class offers "amenities", not more space. The only time CC Class is worth booking, is if it's less than $100 more than a regular balcony. What cabin were you in?
[/quote]
On the Millennium class (Millennium, Infinity, Summit, & Constellation), the concierge class cabins are a bit larger and the balconies are also a bit larger than a regular verandah cabin.
Concierge class cabins are 191 sq. ft, while a regular verandah cabin is 170 sq, ft. The balcony for a concierge cabin is 41 sq. ft, while the regular verandah's balcony is 38 sq. ft.
On the Solstice and Equinox, your statement will be true.

C

Conniemc

I know that's what it says, but having stayed in both many times, they are the same. If there's an extra 20 ft, I don't see it. Bob, help me out here?:help

B

BSeabob

as much as I seldom agree with "You know who" :D my experience is that my recent inside on deck 2, my outside on deck two, my outside cabin and my balcony cabin on deck 7 and my "La dee da" Concierge on deck 8 over the years on the Infinity were exactly the same. (170 or maybe smaller cause the cabins on the Zenith and the Horizon were 170 and seemed bigger)) The aft concierge cabins are not all that more visibly bigger but are in fact holders of the extra sq feet in the brochure for sure. :) (I measured our buddies) and of course the balconies are way bigger there.

There may be some other Concierge that measure up as if you look at the deck plans they do tend to jog in and out inside into the hall according to the pictures. Having checked out the balconies of those jogged ones (eg:7049) know they are bigger but your view to the front requires you to hang out a bit.

C

Conniemc

Bob, I'm CRUSHED.....
:(
Aside from my smoking, I thought we were simpatico. We both love BC!!! LOL
:)D