Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

No ulus on board ships in Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska & Pacific Northwest Ports' started by Jeana, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jeana

Jeana Guest

We just returned from our Alaska cruise aboard the Carnival Spirit from Whittier to Vancouver.

WORD OF WARNING: CARNIVAL WOULD NOT ALLOW US TO BRING ULUS ON BOARD CHECKED IN OUR LUGGAGE!

We purchased two small ulus in Anchorage and put them in our checked luggage. After we boarded the ship we received a call in our cabin from the ship's security to return to baggage (off the ship). We were told to remove the ulus from our checked luggage and they would be thrown away! However, there was never any mention of ulus not being allowed on board prior to boarding or at the pier. We had no idea!

Fortunately, the longshoremen on the dock told my husband (and others there with the same problem) they would mail the ulus to our home address AT NO CHARGE. This is something Carnival should have offered to do since they failed to tell us of this new policy. They didn't however.

So, PLEASE BE AWARE - DO NOT TRY TO BRING AN ULU ON BOARD A CARNIVAL SHIP IN ALASKA!

As the week wore on, passengers were advised if they were purchasing ulus on shore to have them mailed home. But that did not make up for the fact that our ulus were confiscated from us by Carnival and now I am only hoping they will show up in our mailbox sometime in the near future.

2. gottacruz

gottacruz Guest

well, aint that the pitts? Was going to buy some for the guys at work, but now i dont think so.

3. Jeana

Jeana Guest

You can mail them home........

4. PEB

PEB Guest

Most cruiselines will not accept Ulus or any type of sharp instrument, however some of the cruise lines you can ask them to store them give you a receipt and then pick them up as you leave the ship. I suggest that anybody should check with the cruise line to see if they have this policy so that they will not have their items just taken from them. I also know that many shops in Alaska will ship Ulus and knives back to your home for you. They have signs to this posted and I have done it.

5. gottacruz

gottacruz Guest

oh well, in that case, i will do that, mail them home.

6. Yukon

Yukon Guest

I put a group on the Celebrity Millennium at Seward a few days ago, and several of them had ulus in their checked luggage. I've spoken to them on board, and there were no problems.

Murray

7. We just got back from a Princess cruise in Alaska and Ulu's were allowed onboard our ship. However, there were big signs in red letters at the Vancouver airport that stated that Ulu's must be packed in your checked luggage, which only makes sense.

8. gottacruz

gottacruz Guest

hi guys,
    Just returned from serenade of the seas to alaska, I had no problem bringing ulu knives back aboard the ship, even asked when leaving the ship if ulu knives could be brought back, they said yes, you could bring them on board, so i bought some to give to friends.

9. GloBug

GloBug Guest

In May I bought my Ulu on board the Millie in their gift shop. I guess it could be a weapon... like my nail file, or my car key, or my sewing kit.... heck, I could break a glass they provide in my cabin and use that as a weapon... next we'll get plastic knives and forks in the dining room....

10. Classyshots

Classyshots Guest

NCL held ours for us.

They don't want you chopping and dicing on your own. They have good cooks on the ships ;-)