Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Norfolk, Va. Maasdam parking

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by alwaysthinking, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

I went to Nauticus when it first opened about 8 years ago. I wasn't terribly impressed, but it's supposedly been improved. However, I can't give you any up to date info there. If there's any other local attractions you're interested in, just let me know.

As for me, I'll probably be sitting in front of the computer Saturday morning staring at the local webcam, waiting for the ship to arrive.

Marc

2. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Well I guess the only other attraction would be a great seafood place for dinner on Friday night.

3. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

There ya go.. Any suggestions for a good Seafood Restaurant in the area Marc?

4. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

I'd recommend Freemason Abbey. It's an old church that's been converted to a restaurant. The web address is http://www.freemasonabbey.com/ It's in downtown and has it's own parking lot. It has a very rustic setting.

There's also Kincaid's located in the MacArthur Mall. It's supposed to be very good. I believe it's a bit more pricey and I've never been there. Tried going once, but their seafood is a lot of salmon. We're more into shellfish (shrimp, scallops, etc) and there wasn't much of selection so we went to plan B.

One other possibility. You're not far from Ghent which is a trendy section of Norfolk with a lot of good, privately owned restaurants. Someone at the hotel may also have some suggestions.

I'd probably go with Freemason Abbey. Only been there once, for our anniversary last year, and we enjoyed it. BTW, yesterday was our sixth anniversary. Keep me updated. Might consider going out to dinner depending upon when my mom arrives to from Florida.

Marc

5. Oh for cripe sakes, now I have to check here for weenie updates. Jeepers. Just been looking at the roll call, ok so I am blond. Thankx Orcrone for bringing this thread to my attention.

E, once you see these legs you WILL be thanking me to keep on walking :lol

I too am staying at the Raddison Friday night. I have put some thoughts together on sightseeing/hanging out if anyone is interested. The more the merrier.. a casual seafood place sounds good to me.

Any suggestions folks for sailaway meet?

Maureen, my dh snorkels and would love to join you.

Happy belated Anniversary Orcrone.

<http://www.freemasonabbey.com>

6. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

Maybe we could lay claim to these posts and move them to our roll call.

Seriously, I think I'll place a post there referring others to this thread.

Suer, thanks for the happy anniversary. They've been six great years.

7. maw

maw Guest

Thanks for the heads up over on Roll Call. Hope we all can find a good place for dinner on Friday. Even though we will have the car Paw does not like to drive in heavy traffic so hopefully we can find something near the hotel or with good transportation available to. Seafood really does sound good to us.

8. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

I'm checking on some other suggestions for restaurants. If I get any other info I'll post it on the roll call forum.

9. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

Guess we did sort of take over this thread as "our" second roll call site.

10. Orcrone

Orcrone Guest

OK, everyone on the Hallo-weenie cruise. Stand up now. Form two lines and please head over to the roll call forum in an orderly manner. No pushing or shoving, there's enough room for everyone.:grin

11. Orcrone, that would be great if you could post that info on the roll call thread. I am very interested in a casual seafood place for dinner Friday night. Again, thanks for your e-mail correspondence.

12. Einstein

Einstein Guest

It will have clams right Suer??? :grin John did U say something about being thirsty??? =twobeer

13. JOHN(NJ)

JOHN(NJ) Guest

I'm working on it already !!!!!!!!

14. mariner

mariner Guest

Did Maasdam from Norfolk in February and stayed at the Radisson but did not park there.

The hotel is across from the bus station and the lot is not locked. Was driving a sports car and having once been through a stolen car, didn't want to risk it.

A waitress mentioned to us that the night before, someone got shot at the bus station and they were not allowed to leave for several hours.

A cabbie also said the hotel was in a bad neighborhood and they would not pick up any passengers after dark.

Having heard both stories, decided to pay extra and park the car in the municipal lot up the street from the hotel. There''s barbed wire and gates and well worth the $10 daily.

Took a cab there after the cruise to beat the bus line.

While the staff at the hotel was great, didn't quite feel the deal was well worth the money. Later learned there were other hotels in nicer parts of the city that were cheaper and included the same amenities.

While I won't trash the Radisson, I would say, shop around. And the local lot is well worth the $10 daily.

15. Lindapat

Lindapat Guest

What a great deal! We are on the Maasdam 12/11 cruise. Hope you all have a great HAL-loween!

Linda

16. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

Thanks for the info. Mariner. I understand your concerns on where to park your sports car (I've had a car stolen and a rental broken into before). I did look into other hotels in the area and most did not provide parking - it was available in a municiple garage. Since I work in downtown city area , I understand the risks of open lot parking next to a inner city neighborhood. I was told the parking lot is lit and has a fence around it. If this is not true please advise. If you can provide the names of the hotels in the nicer section that are cheaper with parking please share with us.

17. mariner

mariner Guest

lucruzin,

Heard high praises about the Sheraton.

The Radisson lot is walled. But there are openings on all sides. I got the feeling they are an overflow lot for the Scope (auditorium) across the street.

It is lit and the help all swear there's never been a problem. They also say, park at your own risk. But the municpial lot was much more secure IMO.

The last thing I wanted after eleven blissful days was figuring out how to drive home if the car was stolen.

Some of the other hotels do use city garages. A valet suggested to me that I do the same and tell them I lost my parking ticket and just pay for one day instead of eleven. I never would, but thought that was some travel tip!

I also recall someone earlier asked for restaurants. We found Kincaids excellent. And the Radission's pub has some great burgers and crabcakes.iluvcruzin wrote:

> Thanks for the info. Mariner. I understand your concerns on
    > where to park your sports car (I've had a car stolen and a
    > rental broken into before). I did look into other hotels in
    > the area and most did not provide parking - it was available in
    > a municiple garage. Since I work in downtown city area , I
    > understand the risks of open lot parking next to a inner city
    > neighborhood. I was told the parking lot is lit and has a
    > fence around it. If this is not true please advise. If you
    > can provide the names of the hotels in the nicer section that
    > are cheaper with parking please share with us.
    >
    >

18. freddieboy

freddieboy Guest

Many thanks for the info. Have made reservations for the Halloweenie on Fri Eve.
    Freddieboy

19. iluvcruzin

iluvcruzin Guest

Terrific Freddieboy! Head over to the Holland America Roll-call thread and check-in. There's a group discussion on meeting for dinner and also a sail-away get together onboard. Glad you could join us!