Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Norwegian Jade departure April 18, 2009 Barcelona

Discussion in 'Norwegian Cruise Lines' started by Torontobased, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Torontobased

Torontobased Active Member

Who missed the departure with the air space in Europe being closed because of the large ash cloud? :(

2. Mbandy

Mbandy Well-Known Member

As a T/A I have only encountered one caller who missed their cruise. It wasn't my booking but I was the one they reached to cancel. It was a shame too because they were in full penalty, the cruise line is not working with them and their insurance company says it is not a covered reason to cancel.

3. nmnita

nmnita Active Member

I didn't have anyone affected by this, thank goodness, but you know, as an agent, the cruise line really can't do much, look at how much they lost? Yes, they have everyone's money, but they were not able to sail either. As for insurance, that part is the worst, you would think our customers would be sure they had insurance that covered acts of nature.. My heart goes out to all those affected, not only because of the money they have lost, but the chance to experience a wonderful cruise. I hope, somehow, when everything calms down they will all get some compensation, if nothing else a discount on another cruise.

Nita

4. Torontobased

5. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

Clients of mine are currently on that cruise. Flights to Madrid were operating from our East Coast, at least on April 16th. Continuing on to Barcelona could be done by several means.

6. Torontobased

Hum, we could not get a flight from Canada, an in-law of a friend has a friend that works in France and they have a friend that is on the cruise and according to them the ship is half empty, apparently 80% of those outside of Europe did not make it and even 20% of Europeans did not make it to the ship on time. It's a wonder it sailed half empty.

7. Lurline63

Lurline63 Well-Known Member

I was on this cruise, and the figures above are somewhat exaggerated. I spoke to a couple of senior staff and officers who told me that of the 2,600 expected, close to 700 didn't make it on embarkation day, but another 200 or so eventually caught the ship in Monte Carlo on day 2 or Florence on day 3. So, that's just under three-quarters on embarkation day... which I concede is still significant, yet far from half-empty.

Many Americans with whom we spoke had enough time to be rerouted to connections in the States rather than in Europe. For instance, a couple down the hall from us was supposed to fly from somewhere in the States to Amsterdam, then on to Barcelona. They called Delta a few days before, and were instead given a flight to Atlanta followed by a nonstop to Barcelona. (Barcelona's airport was closed for a time on Sunday/embarkation morning, yet was previously unaffected with regard to flights from within Spain and Italy or those outside of other parts of Europe.) The Europeans we spoke with had it much harder as they had fewer options as pretty much all means of transportation were either shut down or had no available bookings.

I feel badly for those who missed their cruise. If it weren't for a stroke of luck, we would likely have been among them.

Last edited: May 1, 2010