Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Now you see it...

Discussion in 'Community Message Board' started by red stripe, Feb 7, 2011.

1. red stripe

red stripe Well-Known Member

Erik,
    in one of the bathrooms, the tiles come out to the halfway mark in the area. So that the toilet and tub are on them, and then it is carpeted in front of the sinks.

E's bathroom is a worry to me, although I know that he is extra careful when exiting the shower, I am still thinking large tiles in there.

As I said before, they are rather sloppy when building homes over here, and they use plywood for underlay everywhere except where they are going to put carpet.
    In that area they put the cheaper particle board.

So what they will and will not allow here does not
    surprise me in the least.

I think there are enough DIY books out there, but I admit to wanting to join a crew that is doing any skill that I think I could use in the future.. heck, to learn some things.. i would work for free.

2. red stripe

CAROLE! I just saw this.. :hammer:

Trust me.. I can recognise Daryl and Daryl from 500 feet away, and they will never step foot in my house again!

Einstein.. I am giving serious thought to doing this myself.......

3. maw

maw Wordsmith

Oh Carole how funny--Red you just watch who comes in if they seem not to know what they are doing--fire them them rather than later. LOL

4. GloBug

GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

I wasn't shuddering because of the drywall. That's the easy part. I work in a hardware store :doubleup: so I picked up some drywall repair clips. http://www.prest-on.com/?idAff=919&...ag=557303408&gclid=CJPgm5XZ_qYCFQcKbAodmDe8bA I helped do the drywall when we worked on my DD's room when we put stairs in and finished the basement that originally had access only from the outside.

I'm not looking forward to working on the mech for the pocket door. Not at all....

5. red stripe

I had looked at those, It works very well for a textured wall.
    But for a smooth finish like ours, that tape will show up.
    The clips are good. but the furring strips work as well, and I always have some spare wood around here.:biggrin:

no matter what they say, I would allow that first mudding in to cure overnight.
    good luck with the job.

Now to go downstairs and see if the guys at my door are Daryl and Daryl...:biggrin:

6. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

Red, I LOVE my hardwood floors. We put them in the kitchen, foyer, dining room, heavy traffic area from kitchen past living room to hallway, and thru the whole hallway. Don't think I would like them in the bathroom though due to all the moisture unless they were sealed.

For those that don't know sealed wood floors are when they are installed unfinished, then stained and varnished. That way the varnish gets down in all people ruin their floors using steam mops on them, confusing those who can use a steam mop on a sealed floor. My flooring installer said it takes a few years for the damage to start showing. By then the floors are not laying right anymore, curving, etc. Warranty is voided when you use steam mops too on most prefinished floors.

Jules had a heck of a time getting our old vinyl up. We still had the original vinyl down from when the house was built in the late 70's. Then all the nails and staples. Seems we were pulling those up for weeks and weeks.

I wish I could send you my flooring installer. He did an excellent job. We had to wait almost a month to get in line but then the good ones are always booked. Beware the guy that says I can start right away!

All in all, as this comes together we are so pleased but it has been a TON of work.

7. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

I love the hardwood floors that wemhave in our house in Hampton

8. red stripe

Whimsy, thank you for the added information.
    We are having ours finished on site also. Everything we researched said that it is the way to go.
    you would have loved the final contractor we had in tonight, he gave us a figure that was more than double our highest bidder.
    When we queried him, he said that he could not figure out how anyone could do it for as much less as we said.

We were stunned. When he left, Einstein took a look at the measurements that the others had given and then looked at his.
    This guy can not measure.. he had down double the square footage also.:biggrin: no wonder the double cost.
    Needless to say.. he came off our list right away, and we have called the one that we want to do the job.
    We know that he can not do it yet, but that is OK.. as we do not want to start this until after the cruise.

Sis.. so far we have not seen Daryl and his brother Daryl.....

9. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

Red, we had one guy come over and couldn't measure either. There should always be a 10 % (I believe) allowance over the measurements. We ended up with 1 full and one partial box of wood left over. We actually ran short for the foyer so was to order another box when the floor got scratched and had to order more. Grrr!!!! Still makes me mad thinking about THAT mishap. I'm OK with the extra. Should we need to replace a little something down the line we have it on hand. Our flooring guy said it was good because down the line the colors might change a bit and we could always blend the new flooring with the older flooring.

Would love to see photos as your floors progress. I'm sure this will be a messy project too. Hope it isn't too much of an upheaval.

10. red stripe

Marie.. 10% and we would not have batted an eyelid.
    OVER 100% yikes!..
    so funny...

So here is how the contract wars went..
    (1) XXXXX because he insisted on trying to sell us the laminate instead of real hardwood.. He just would not listen. we figure that it was cheaper and easier for him to do.

(2) Actually I was so impressed with this guy.. he said he would not do laminate. his knowledge was impressive.. I told Einstein after he left that I wanted to toss money at him and tell him to get started.:biggrin:

(3) XXXX no warranty and all cash

(4) XXXX Well.. until last nights chap.. he was the highest bidder. But we were not put off by that, we were put off by another person that wanted 40% down in cash and said there were no warranty.

(5) XXXX can not measure.....:biggrin:

So after the guy that could
    really use a laser measuring device had left.. Einstein called contestant number 2 and he is coming out tonight to finalize everything.

we know that it will be a mess because of the areas involved. and are ready to do as much as we can to prepare for everything.

oh yes.. one of them said we HAD to take the monster Fridge out of the room.
    There is no way that it will fit through any door opening and go into our living area. It would have to be unloaded and taken down three steps into the garage.. that is NOT going to happen.

This guy says that he will just move it out, do all the work in that area and then slide it back.

he is finishing the wood onsite also, so we will be camping out for at least one night.

I remember all that you were going through with your installations, and will keep you posted. with the photos to match.. wish us luck:biggrin:

11. Funnel

Funnel Sweden Unleased - Special Contributor

So no 2 it is! Hope he will do a great job! :doubleup:

A funny thing over here is that you can get a reduction by up to 50% of the cost, but only the cost for the work (time) not hardware. They have had this system for 3 years now, and the reason for this is to minimize the "moonlighting" (those who don't pay taxes and don't give any warranty).
    I did my roof last year (new base board, lath and tiles) and instead of paying about 20 000 USD I only had to pay 12 300. The rest was payed by the "tax authority".
    Thank You Mr Prime Minister! :biggrin:

Red, I'm waiting for some photos of your new hardwood floor, but I guess there is a cruise coming up first... :whistle:

/Erik

12. red stripe

Erik, I sure do like that system.:doubleup:

Everyone we had come out here had the insurance and were bonded etc. But still no reductions.

Yes, the cruise comes first!:beach::beach:

Einstein knows me too well.. and from the first he put his foot down and said that we would NOT do this before the cruise.:hammer:

I have a lot of china and other breakables to move before they get started.
    Depending on how my time goes, I would like to get a lot of that moved before we go on the cruise.

We will have two full days when we return until he comes out and places all the wood into our dining room so that it can acclimatize, then the work will start a few days after.

I will take plenty of before and after photos.

13. jk

jk Well-Known Member

Red, nice job! If you find a floor person who is reasonable and good send him here! I would love to get rid of the rest of the carpet on the main floor and also replace the yucky laminate that we have now....in my dreams...maybe when the girls are out of college????