Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Oh no! our birth certificates don't have a raised seal

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Lori Wilson, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Lori Wilson

Lori Wilson Guest

<HTML>My husband and I went Thursday to vital records to get our birth certificates. I just compared them to our kids which we've had since they were born. Theirs has the raised seal but ours does not. I just sent an email to vital records to see what they say about this. Looks like we payed $8.00 for a copy of our birth certificate instead of the orginal. That makes me mad because we drove an hour to get it so we would not have to wait to receive it in the mail. I'm not sure what to do now.
    Lori,</HTML>

2. Lori Wilson

Lori Wilson Guest

<HTML>It does have the stamp like our kids that says Virginia dept of health vital statistics but it's not raised like theirs.
    Lori again</HTML>

3. DisneyBlonde

DisneyBlonde Guest

<HTML>It doesn't have to be the original birth certificate, but it does have to be an official copy, which means it needs the raised seal. My official copy is wallet sized (like a driver's license), it's on yellow paper, and you can't see the raised seal on the front, but you can see it on the back. My son's, which is from a different state, is 3x5, white, and looks exactly like the original.

If they charged you $8, they should have sent you an offical copy. If you get the right person on the phone, maybe they can Fed Ex it to you, since it was their error.

Good luck!</HTML>

4. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

<HTML>Many jurisdictions have changed the format of their birth certificates. If it has the original seal (stamp), it is fine.

:ribbon</HTML>

5. Seawall

Seawall Guest

<HTML>Some states are now issuing cards........ and no raised seal on them.. I suppose for money's sake...........
    The raised seal will always get you where you want to go, with a DL, but also, you might want to consider a passport, if you will be traveling quite a bit. Passport cuts down the check in time, considerably, IMHO.</HTML>

6. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

<HTML>Here in Georgia notaries are no longer required to use a "stamp" for a raised seal. They CAN but many have gone to a rubber stamp type seal.

________</HTML>

7. Ali

Ali Guest

<HTML>I had to get my daughter a new one from Illinois and there are no raised seals on them anymore...just a stamp from the County Clerks Office. I opted to get her a passport for the next sailing. Should be arriving any day now. Check with the records dept. and find out if they did away with the "raised seal?"</HTML>

8. sethro

sethro Guest

<HTML>How long doe it take to get a passport. We are leaving inApril and I have been toying with the idea of getting one for my hubby and kids. We don't travel a lot but with all of the constant security changes it seemed like a good idea. Do I still have time?</HTML>

9. nieciez

nieciez Guest

<HTML>Routine service takes 6 weeks and expidited service takes 2. Go to the State Department's website at www.state.gov for more info on Passports. Here is a clickable:

<http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html></HTML>

10. Sgrane

Sgrane Guest

<HTML>I believe the raised seal is still necessary for customs. Check before you go...I do not think a stamp is acceptable.</HTML>

11. paulfredo

paulfredo Guest

<HTML>I don't know Scott, this seems to be changed. My granddaughter's didn't have a "raised seal" but was on the new "official" kind of paper. It is a "certified" birth certificate. We had no problems with it when we took her on the Grand in October. I think (and I'm not the official word on this matter) the birth certificate must be "certified" but that doesn't necessarily require a raised seal anymore. In any case, we now have passports, which is best and most reliable.

I agree with the advice of checking with your local govrn. office, and then check with the cruise line.

paulfredo

paulfredo</HTML>

12. <HTML>I checked with our State (to get backups) , you had 2 choices..a copy or an offical BC, and they told me the difference was the 'seal' (is not a notary type but of course the State seal from the dept. of vital stats).</HTML>

13. jow

jow Guest

<HTML>My son is going to Jamaica on his honeymoon next month. His fiance is from South Carolina. Her BC does not have a raised seal. When I was concerned she checked with the Vital Statistics folks in SC and was told that they don't use raised seals. Hers is certified as an original.</HTML>

14. malprl

malprl Guest

<HTML>We got birth certificates for our family with raised seals several years ago. One of my sons took his for an athletic thing and the coach misplaced it...and we had to get another one. The new one was an official birth certificate, but it did not have the raised seal. We checked and checked and found out the new paper was the key...and it did not have the raised seal. It worked, although I must admit we were nervous since the rest of us had raised seals. We recently got passports for the entire family so we don't have to worry about this stuff anymore. If it's an official birth certificate issued by the Health Department, etc. of your state, you'll be fine.

Mal</HTML>

15. rocster

rocster Guest

<HTML>THis past year in late summer it was taking about 2-3 weeks for a passport, but it has been known to take at least 6 weeks. Do yourself's a favor, in today's climate, PLEASE get a passport, it is the best ID one could have. You'll be glad you did. They are good for ten years!</HTML>

16. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

<HTML>We have so many discussions re: birth certifictes and ID's....it just makes sense IMO.. in the climate we live in today to just plain give in and get yourselves a passport.

I have never been able to understand why anyone is still resisting getting one. What is the big deal? I've asked before and never gotten an answer that makes any sense to me. If one can afford to travel at all, the expense of a passport is minimal...especialy when amortized over ten years. It is so simple to apply my mail if you do not have a convenient location to do it in person.

Just my viewpoint.

:ribbon</HTML>