Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

OK This time it is 2Tall

Discussion in 'The Safe Harbor' started by BostonsJ, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. BostonsJ

    BostonsJ Guest

    I found out last night on Monday when Mike went onto the roof to cover the swamp cooler he had some pain and breathing issues. He never told me. Tuesday he appeared fine. Well yesterday when I got home from work he was not well at all and I couldn't for the life of me get him to the hospital. I could hear his labored breathing 3 rooms away. Once again I begged and pleaded with him when I found him sitting up in bed with 5 pillows behind his head. He refused. I sat up and listened to his breathing all night. Exausted this morning both of of he starting talking doomsday stuff. And I started talking turkey. I am in the funeral business and the last thing I need is to have Mike a coroner case and he was just being pigheaded stubborn.

    Well my last words as I left the house were I'm 6 minutes from home please call me when you decide to go to the hospital and I will come and get you. Five minutes after I left the house he got into the car and drove himself 20 minutes to the emergency room. I got a call from him saying guess what babe my lungs are fine but I have some heart issues. I ask did you have a heart attack he says I dont' know. I ask where are you he says in the hospital. I ask again no but where are you. He said the hospital. NO Mike what hospital? He told me where he was and I said OK I'm on the way. He said don't leave work I'll call you they say I have to stay over night. I picked up my purse and drove like a maniac. As I was signing in with security I heard a Cardiac Code Team, Emergency Dept bed 19 stat! . I had no idea what bed he was in but just knew. And sure enough as I arrived to the curtain.....the team was coming from everywhere. They were ripping his clothes off of him just as I stepped inside. A chaplain came and spoke to me. She asked about me and if I was OK and then explained she was there to be with me until he was stable. And all h e l l was breaking lose in the room because they gave him nitro and he bottomed out his BP. They were putting the defib pads on him, wires everywhere electrodes. They were pushing drugs like crazy. He had 4 males nurses, a cardiac care nurse, a cath lab nurse and 2 doctor's working on him. A nurse came over and told me they called the stat because of his BP but they needed the cath lab cleared immediately. That as soon as they pushed all of these drugs and got him on a line he was going directly to cath lab to have dye injected to see where the blockage was. But she told me, he had a heart attack within the last 3 days. ayep....the minute I heard that he had a problem on the roof, which ZI never heard about until last night, I was worried about that.

    So the nurse asked if it would bother me to go inside and I said h e ll no you can't keep me out of there and I went in. Mike says hey babe see you always tell me I don't have a heart but I must because they say it's broken. Of course everyone is like I can't believe he is joking. But he kept joking and wouldn't stop. I finally asked the doctor if he could sedate him. LOL The doctor was explaining eveything to me. And then as soon as all drugs were onboard we practically ran to the cath lab which they had emptied out because of him. I waited about one hour and the cardiologist came out and told me he had a substantial blockage of the central artery to his heart and that he was already on the table having angioplasti. About 40 minutes later another cardiologist came out told me they had successfully placed a stint and that he is fine. He also told me it was collapsed almost completely and that it wasn't plaque it was probably something he was born with. Imagine that? He turns 60 next month and never has it been detected. I walked down to CCU when they wheeled him down, and talked and sat with him until they medicated him for pain. And then I left. I'm on my way back now. He is one very lucky man. He looked better and they say if he maintains his blood pressure and doesn't start throwing PVC's he can come home tomorrow. The follow up EKG's have looked good. The one thing they are concerned about is they gave him a huge dose of coumadin and it really thinned his blood. I don't know how they measure it but it was huge according to the nurse in the 10,000 somethings. So the groin had to have a pressure dressing because the sutures were not stopping the bleeding.

    They feel he is going to be OK. Thank God. When he is feeling better I'm going to slap him silly.
  2. JacquieP

    JacquieP Guest

    Good grief, you can't win with the men in your life! Mike is a VERY lucky guy, and he's going to have to start making some changes, some of which, he won't like. The coumadin will be easier to regulate after they get him off all those drugs they poured into him, and is monitored with a simple blood test called INR. In fact, he may not even have to be on Coumadin, but with a stent, he will most likely be on Plavix for awhile. There are lots of variations. Prayers are on the way for your entire family!
  3. Mgram

    Mgram Guest

    OMG Judy.....what next?!?!?! Hey, give him a couple of slaps for me, too. MEN......they can be so stubborn! He is so fortunate to have gotten to the hospital before he bottomed out. Of course when YOU wanted him to go would have been the best time.

    Sending good thoughts that all will be well and he will hang around to frustrate you for a looooooong time! And sending a HUGE hug for you........you must be so frazzled.
  4. popcorn

    popcorn Guest

    Just another worry for you!! Glad that he was smart enough to get to the hospital, but he would have been smarter to have called an ambulance. Good luck in caring for him. Men are such wonderful patients! NOT

    Take care of yourself!

  5. debowah

    debowah Guest

    Add a slap from me too Judy. Glad it all worked out, but MEN!!!! Can't live with them, can't shoot them. Hope he has an uneventful post-op course. Rest up now. Prayers.........
  6. BostonsJ

    BostonsJ Guest

    Thank You everyone. I'm numb basicaly. The last thing I could do was show fear or break down. Mike would have gotten upset and that is the last thing he needed. The chaplain scared me when she took my shoulder. I was in the room with him and she said they are for him, I am for you. I thought OK but I'm OK ,him talking to me and holding my hand as much as he could was all I needed. She went with me to Cath Lab, put me in a lounge and then thankfully she didn't hover. LOL She was quite nice and I guess it is a very good policy to do that with family members, but I'm a toughie. I guess she figured I was OK because she did leave me to my own thoughts and to make phone calls.

    I called Cutie, so I could understand more what was going on. She was fine for a little while, then she sounded like she was crying a little, and I thought OMG if she cries I'm going to cry and I just wanted to hold it together. Then she told me to tell him she hopes he feels better soon to send her love, because when she sees him next she is going to beat on him. LOL She will need a ladder to get above his knee caps.

    When he came out of the procedure I walked to CCU with him and he looked pretty good. I asked how was the ride? He said I closed my eyes and it was over before I knew it. LOL He is a tough old bird. He said the worst part was that pressure bandage it was cutting into his groin and he was having a terrible time not moving for 2 hours. Of course the hospital bed is too short for him also.

    Mike's BP was very low all day and was finally coming up tonight. He runs low anyway so they were pleased with it's upward movement. What they are a little puzzled about is that he had very high blood sugar........so high that they gave him insulin. Now he has never been diagnosed with diabetes but then again he hates doctors and doesn't go. A couple of times I thought maybe he did have signs of diabetes so we are going to have to follow up on that. They don't know if diabetes may have caused a heart attack, orrrrrrr if the heart attack threw his blood sugar up. So they are testing him quite regularly for that trying to figure it out. His other blood work looks good. A little elevated on his creatinin(sp) He is still on O2 just to keep him breathing comfortably so the heart doesn't work too hard. His sats just went up to normal levels about 6 tonight.

    He will have drugs to come home on because of that stint. Plavix and another one and asprin. And get this, he thinks he is driving home tomorrow if they discharge him. I took his car keys the little stinker. His cohlesterol tests were not back yet when I left. The wind is very high and it is cold here tonight so I came home about 7pm to try to get some rest and to let him sleep. He is tired of course.

    So that is about it. Mike was very lucky, I consider that I am lucky too this could have gone far worse. He will be happy to come home but was being a good patient and he lucked out and got a wonderful nurse who has one more year of school before she becomes a nurse practitioner.

    Now I hope he continues to behave as he goes through the night. He hasn't shown any signs of the heart throwing enzymes that it doesn't like the stint so that is really good. Thanks all. One of these days I know life will be without all of these hurdles. And then I'll just not know what to do with myself! LOL
  7. KathyC

    KathyC Guest

    Wow you have really been thru alot!! Does he have any idea how lucky he is & how foolish he was when he didn't seek help for his symptoms immediately? Hope things calm down for you & that he has a speedy recovery.
  8. Rubysky

    Rubysky Guest

    Men!=huh Give him a hug now and wait until he is 100% and give him a sucker punch for me.
    Sending good thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery.
  9. bostongal

    bostongal Guest

    Judy - I am sending you a big =hug and my thoughts & prayers. I hope Mike continues to improve and can come home soon. It's been a rough time for you lately and I hope that things begin to settle down some so you can have some peace.

  10. Cruise cutie

    Cruise cutie Guest

    =hugs .and I'm glad I got to you a few minutes ago.on the phone, as I bolted out the work door... we *BOTH* sound better..:grin..sigh.. exhausted but better.. it was Hades night at work which was good just enough to keep me focused on work ; NOT on Michael..and..
    that Big Snot..I am going to whip his *ss good next time I see him.. figure I get on Marks' shoulders, and be about even!!..sigh...hugs and Love, I'll call again in the AM..sleep well..or try too.....=love Joanne...
  11. ShipMaven

    ShipMaven Guest

    Judy - I'm so sorry about mule-headed Mike, but thank God he is now stable. Know that he's in my prayers.

    {{{HUGS}}} to you both.
  12. S&M in Pgh

    S&M in Pgh Guest

    Oh, BJ - when it rains, it pours. If they gave him any steroids that could elevate his sugar.
    Take his wallet and clothes too, that way if he tries to leave he'll have to do flasher style.
  13. audrey

    audrey Guest

    judy I am sorry to hear about Mike I so enjoyed our visit with him a few years ago I know that david enjoyed meeting him also. I will keep you in my prayers for both Mike and your dad.
  14. seamom

    seamom Guest

    Oh...having met Mike...I KNOW he has plenty of jokes left in him and he ain't goin' nowhere without telling many more years of them :lol Yeh..you tell him off to his knees BJ and he'll have a joke as a comeback! Give that tall pink flamingo dude a kick in the pants and a hug from this Canajen to get better soon!
  15. reggae

    reggae Guest

    Dear Judy.....YIKES!!

    I just got online and read this, and I can't tell you how happy I am that Mike made it to the hospital in time.

    Prayers and good wishes for Mike,....... and I sure hope you can squeeze in a little rest for yourself too! You are one of God's angels :)

    Hugs for both of you....
  16. Beryl

    Beryl Guest

    My dear Judy...I have just seen this....Thank the good Lord that Mike is recovering. Prayers and best wishes for the speedy recovery of the guy who is all heart!
  17. GloBug

    GloBug Guest

    Oh my gosh, what a rush you two went through. And I can't believe he drove himself to the hospital! He could have ended up much worse then he did. Go ahead, slap him, I'll be in line behind everyone else! I'm so glad to read that he's on his way to recovery, and that he's home soon.
  18. JacquieP

    JacquieP Guest

    Judy, my brother's doctor told him that the heart thing triggered the high sugar thing. He's another of those tall (6'8") "I hate doctors, hospitals, or anything remotely medical" type people, and their bull-headedness appears to increase with their height. Don't tell him, but he's not going to be able to avoid doctors much for the next several years. Lots of check ups, and probably an exercise program. I listen to my Leon and brother Joe fuss all the time, but sympathy is found ONLY in the dictionary between s**t and syphillis! They have to do as they're told. Now, for the most important part - how are YOU doing?
  19. BostonsJ

    BostonsJ Guest

    Hi all. Well I have finally taken a break. Mike just settle down for the night. He came home about noon. Against doctor's wishes they wanted to keep him another day. He is very weak, walking from the bedroom to the office wears him out. Of course he is now on meds to slow his heart and all sorts of other things. So it may take some tweaking. He had just fallen asleep when his buddy called and Mike keeps his phone beside the bed. I went running but he woke and then seemed anxious because he hasn't had much sleep for a couple of nights. I think I have him all tucked back in and he is sleeping again.

    I've told his friends they can't come to visit tomorrow. He is just not ready for visitors. I could have used one of them to help me get his car, but I can ask the neighbor to take me there too. We shall see what tomorrow brings. If not it will sit there until Monday and Dena can help me out.

    I'm doing OK of course I'm worried. I would have preferred that he stay where he belonged another day. But, I'm just going to have to see how this goes in the next 24 hours and then if he isn't improving he will go back. I really think one of the meds is causing his heart to slow too much for a man his size.

    I'm doing OK. He was sitting up at the computer trying not to go to bed too soon because he hopes to sleep through the night. I said Mike, forget about time, right now listen to your body. But there is no changing a man like him, he is set in his ways. So I napped for an hour and then I got up and he went to bed.. I'll stay on the couch, so that I don't interrupt him, I can be a restless sleeper.

    I left him for about 30 minutes today because I had to get his medications. While I was out I got my grocery shopping done so that I won't have to do that this weekened. And I wanted to get some things in to get some decent meals into him. Of course he couldn't wait for that 30 minutes for me to get home to feed him, he got up and made soup. He has gone 36 hours without cigarettes. I'm sure that is also some of the anxiety he is feeling. But more than anything I think he is just feeling like he got hit by a truck. It plays on your mind.

    When I hauled the groceries in it really bothered Mike that he couldn't help me. I said for crying out loud I'm not moving the refrigerator I'm bringing in groceries, like I didn't do this alone for 15 some years it will be OK. He knows I do heavy lifting at work with people in caskets and things but it is the point that he is not able to get up and help me that bothered him. I think once he gets his head wrapped around the fact that this happened and he has lifestyle changes until he is healthy again, and some forever, he will be OK.

    I've been getting questions about Daddy. Well he was good today, Paula pushed and pushed and his tube is now off all day only on from 9pm to 5am. But the nurse and Paula want it off totally, so we have an appointment for him with the gastro doctor who placed the tube on Wednes. Paula is tired. Daddy has also become quite accustomed to her catering to him so she is feeling like she is not able to visit with him like the others, he depends on her for everything. She had taken snacks into him. Well I guess he is doing his old thing of eating the junk and not eating his meals. So they are not replenishing the snacks except for a few small things each day. Today Paula found a baggie with Candy and chips tucked in the bed beside him. I swear it is like having a 5 year old to deal with at times. I wish I could be there for her to have a break. My trip on the 19th of course is certainly on hold until I get Mike back on his feet. I could never leave him now.

    So hopefully Daddy can behave himself and Paula can hold on until it is OK for me to come.

    When I hauled the groceries in it really bothered Mike that he couldn't help me. I said for crying out loud I'm not moving the refrigerator I'm bringing in groceries, like I didn't do this alone for 15 some years, it will be OK. He knows I do heavy lifting at work with people in caskets and things but it is the point that he is not able to get up and help me that bothered him. It is a man thing, they cannot take it when they are not in charge of their body. I think once he gets his head wrapped around the fact that this happened and he has lifestyle changes until he is healthy again, and some forever, he will be OK.

    Thank you all for your advice and words of comfort. Jacquie yes, after giving him the insulin there were no further spikes. So they think that is what caused it. I'm still not certain his oxygen saturation is what it needs to be so I'm watching that closely. That is why the doctor wanted him to stay another day. I'm praying tomorrow is a better day for him.
  20. Cruise cutie

    Cruise cutie Guest

    I just got Home. I AM FOR crying out loud NOT calling tonight..I'll call tomorrow..I slept for spit last night..hoping to collapse tonight..I'll be in touch hugs..he is in BIG time trouble leaving today!!.ARRGGH!!....:evil..sigh... Joanne

Share This Page