• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

OT: Help! How do you address a Congressman?

L

Lady Jag

I can't find the answer to this question anywhere on the internet. Can someone help?

We're going to a wedding soon and will be sitting next to my favorite Congressman whom I have never met.

Does anyone know how I should address him when I speak to him? Should I say, "Hello, Congressman Smith" or "It's very nice to meet you, Congressman Smith?" or do you just use the familiar "Mr. Smith"?

I don't want to look like a total idiot :dizzy - it's important that we get this right.

Thanks!! :thumb I know someone more wordly than I will know the answer to this! :)

J

jetblue

Think of it this way, if you met the president would you say, "Nice to meet you Mr. Bush" or "Nice to meet you President Bush."

There's no wrong or right way to do it, but typically the more formal version of a greeting is to include the persons professional title. So I would say "Nice to meet you Congressman ______"

B

BostonsJ

I would say Congressman. Representative is also proper for a member of Congress. It has been a while since I have been in the political arena but either term is correct in either writing or personally speaking with these officials.

L

Lady Jag

I found a website similar to the one above, but it just has etiquette for writing letters, e-mails and for phone conversations with the Rep.'s aide.

Okay - that's what I was wondering - "Congressman Smith" or "Representative Smith" are both okay then? Thanks! :thumb

Now I just have to make sure I don't trip and fall flat on my face. :grin :lol

B

BostonsJ

Yup either is OK and you won't slip. That is unless Connie and I were invited and then I couldn't guarantee it. :grin Most political leaders I have met or done business with were very informal in social environments.

L

Lady Jag

It's good to hear that they tend to be very informal. I'll make sure I don't talk "business", as that's probably the LAST thing he wants to talk about! :lol

Thanks again! :thumb

L

Lisa

I would call them Congressman (or Congresswoman) upon introduction. Then, I am sure they will guide you into what they would like you to call them...............

S

suer182

I would wait to see how he introduces himself. This is more of a social gathering than a political one. You never know you might end up on first name basis with the guy. :lol

I am arsuming you are sitting at the same table at the reception? See how others handle the introductions with him.

I have been in social situations, where egos have come into play, some were first names basis and others arrogantly insisted on the title. They will let you know.

Hello, I am Lady Jag and see what he says....

S

S&M in Pgh

If you like them, Congressman so and so or Mr so and so.

If you don't like them, hey you putz.

Mike

12Cats

I have lived and worked in the political arena for over 18 years and "Congressman _______" is correct. Most likely, he will respond with "call me ________" if he is a social person since this is a social situation. If he happens to be someone who thinks a great deal of himself, he'll say "good to meet you too" and that will be the end of the conversation.

12Cats

C

Cruizer

Usually when I want to speak to a Congressman/woman I have to find out what their booking number is and when visiting hours are.

C

Cuervo Rick

Also when addressing your congressman you need to know what cell block they are in.

L

Lady Jag

:lol :lol Very funny answers! Seriously though, I don't normally get impressed at all with famous people or dignitaries, but this guy happens to be one person I have followed for years and I'm on the same side of the fence with. I'm looking forward to meeting him and his wife. He's my DH's boss' next door neighbor.

They'll be seated at our table, along with me, my DH, his two DMs and their wives. I know the wives will look to me to start the conversations and address the congressman, so I don't want to look like a total idiot. (for a change! :lol )

T

tutak

You can always say what Babe Ruth did when he was introduced to the President.

"What do you say, kid?"