Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Passport Copy

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Nat, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Nat

Nat Guest

When making copies of your passport should they be in color or black and white? Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. CruiseDiva

CruiseDiva Guest

I scanned mine and printed it in color but I really don't think it matters as long as it is legible.

3. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

BLACK and WHITE...I have read that @ddicts were told at Kinko' s that it is illegal to have a colored copy made of your passport. Set the information and photo page open onto a copy machine and print it black and white.

4. Judi

Judi Guest

s7s,

That's interesting. I have color copies of ours. And there's no mention of it being illegal on the Passport Services web page at <http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html>

The following is copied directly from their "Top Ten Tips for Travelers" page:

4. Make 2 copies of your passport identification page. This will facilitate replacement if your passport is lost or stolen. Leave one copy at home with friends or relatives. Carry the other with you in a separate place from your passport.

It would seem to me that if it were illegal, it would be mentioned, don't you think?

5. LindaM

LindaM Guest

I had thought about copying our passports (this will be our first time to use them) for our upcoming cruise but wasn't sure how useful a photo copy would be.

In the event we lost our passports, would the copies be accepted at customs, etc.? We were going to take the certified copy of our birth certificates in case our passports got lost? What is the best way to cover all the bases?

Thanks................

6. judy

judy Guest

The only thing a copy is good for is in case the original is lost or stolen, it will facilitate replacement.
    As far as I know, you can't use it for customs.

7. Judi

Judi Guest

Judy,

You're absolutely correct.....I got "mired" in the color versus black/white copy, that I neglected to mention it.

Your Passport number and other identifying bits of data are on the first two pages. If your Passport is lost or stolen, having that information with you will be a big help, particularly in foreign countries.

The copies cannot, to the best of my knowledge, be used for anything else.

I typically carry a copy with me, and my Daughter and In-Laws have a copy back here at home. Since we often travel with one or the other but never both, we like to have things covered!

8. MarieA

MarieA Guest

Our color copy machine has a big sticker on it saying it is illegal to copy passports in color. I read on one of the boards (senility has me in its grip and I can't remember when or where) that someone was severely scolded when an immigration official saw their color passport copy.

9. Hucc

Hucc Guest

I have two copies of my passport. One I keep at home in a place someone can find it. The other I keep in my checked luggage. They are both in color, but I added the word "Copy" in the photo area of my passport.

I never heard of color copies being illegal before, but I do remember reading that on this site before. I'm going to search the internet to see what I find.

10. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

I've carried copies of our passports for years...they are black and white.

Lady Jag (Bobbie) went to Kinkos to have copies of theirs made and laminated and she got a huge lecture from someone there that blk/white copies were okay....but not color.

I never leave the ship/hotel...wherever we are without a copy in my pocket or purse.

11. Judi

Judi Guest

I got my passport out to look at it and nowhere does it say that it's illegal to make a color copy of it.

Under "Before You Travel Abroad" on page 3, item 4, it states, "Make two photocopies of your passport ID page. Leave one at home with family/friends. Carry the other with you in a place separate from your passport."

Under "Important Things to Remember About Your Passport" on page 6, it states, "It is unlawful for any person other than the named bearer to use this passport." That's the only place where any word close to illegal is mentioned.

If it's true that it's illegal to have a color copy, they sure as well keep it secret! :roll