Passport for Ensenada cruise



I booked a cruise this weekend for the Carnival Paradise going to Ensenada and Catalina Island. We leave in 4 weeks from today so it was kind of a last minute decision to take my daughter for her 16th birthday. I have my passport but she does not and it's going to be a close call getting it back, even if I have it expidited I'm told. Can anyone tell me if I should really push to get it? Carnival says I can take her with just a birth certificate and her I.D. but says that I should have a passport too. I would hate for something to happen and then I have a problem with the fact that she doesn't have a passport. Any advice would be helpful...should I really try to get the passport or just take her with her i.d. & birth certificate? Thanks!


You might do better with this question on the community page, since this is not a Carnival specific question. Nonetheless, here is the info you need ...

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

So, if something happens and your daughter needs to fly back, she will need a passport. Otherwise she just needs a driver's license and a birth certificate.

However, Ensenada does not have an international airport at this time. Since Ensenada is only about 75 miles south of the border, a trip by car would be quicker than any airline arrangements you could make. As this section is for both land and sea (see the link above), she would only need a driver's license and birth certificate to get back into the US by land.