• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Paying onboard Question

L

LindaInCT

A question for my boss who is treating his sons and their wives to a cruise at the end of February.

He wants to pay for everything - except personal items his sons/thier wives wish to purchase - so, photos, drinks, room service, etc. he will pay for.

How can his kids pay for personal items (souvenirs etc) themselves plus charge the other things to their father's account? Open two accounts? One with the father's charge and one with thier own account?

I never cruised on HAL before, but I know that RCI does not accept cash or credit cards on board. Does HAL?

Thank you.

L

LandLockedInAZ

Unfortunately, no. The ship is a "cashless society" and the shops will not be able to accept cash or credit cards- only charge to the onboard account.
I'm not sure if this can be done, but I'm thinking maybe they could register the son's account to the father's credit card and the wife's account / room key to their own credit card, then when picking up souvenirs or other personal items, they could just make sure to charge to the wife's onboard account.
Another option would be to go to the front desk near the end of the cruise and pay off certain line items in cash before the father's credit card is charged for the balance.
Hope this helps! I'm sure others will be more informed.

S

sail7seas

Two good suggestions by LandLocked,. IMO.

I think that either of her two suggestions may be possible to arrange at the Front Office.

L

Lady Jag

My husband takes his managers & wives on an annual cruise. He just goes down to the Purser's Desk on the last night and pays for their shipboard accounts, but he won't pay for things like souvenir purchases. The Purser's Desk will usually print out a receipt for him & he can decide what he wants to pay. :)

G

gsamml

Lady Jag's solution sounds like it should work.

What I wnat to know is will your boss adopt me?

S

sail7seas

Doesn't the office require permission for someone to review another passenger's bill?

Not just anyone can prance themselves to the office and ask to see the bill for a cabin other than their own without prior permission from the occupants.....At least, I certainly hope that is the case!!!!

M

MG

I've been reading the messages about the purchase of items on the ships and would like to share our experience on the Zuiderdam last August. My wife was in the ships shop and over heard a man say that he wanted to buy a piece of jewelry for his wife but didn't want her to see the price of it , as it would show up on the ship account. So, the sales person told him, what they can do is write up a voucher or invoice and take it to the ships front desk, they would then run it on a credit card, then take the paid voucher back to the shop and pick up the merchandise.

It works, because my wife did the same thing with a piece of jewerly that she found in the shop. You may want to call HAL to verify that this could be done.

MG

Zuiderdam 7-31-04
Westerdam 3-27-05

A

Anonymous User

When we sailed on the Maasdam in October, dh and I went down numerous times to apply money to our account. Every time they just asked for cabin number and they most graciously printed out the expenditures. We received a separate "paid" receipt as the money took time to actually be applied to the account.
So, Lady Jags suggestion is an option, as to my experience on the Maadam it will work.

L

Lady Jag

We do that too, Sue. I don't like to charge anything or get off a cruise and have a balance due. We pay during the week in cash on our own account. Then I know how much cash we have left for frivolous things. :grin

DH has never had a problem on other cruise lines with paying other peoples' shipboard accounts. HAL may be different. =dunno

S

sail7seas

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be VERY FAR THAN PLEASED if I heard the office disclosed our on-board account to anyone but either of the two of us.

It is no one's business to know what we spent on what and I find it almost impossible to believe that someone not listed on the account can actually read someone else's bill.

I will most assuredly make it my business to find out if that is the case.

Anyone ever hear of Privacy?

A

Anonymous User

On all of my cruises, including HAL, they have never asked for a form of id to pay on my shipboard account. IMO, that does not mean they dont have a "privacy policy" instated. During sea days, the only id we carried around was the cabin key on the Maasdam. And they were the old fashion keys, no id on them. They did ask for a last name, but any name can be given at the time of inquiry.

HAL was the only line, that I have been able to purchase a drink without my shipboard card or showing any id. All we had to do was give a cabin number. The bill thing came, the name of the occupant of that cabin is on there, sign away.... Well, duh stupid me, I should have used John(nj) cabin number for my drink purchases, he wouldnt have even notice the difference :lol. The only time I needed that card was for purchases in the onboard shops, never needed at dinner or any of the lounges. Well, of course to get on and off the ship.

L

Lady Jag

:lol :lol Sue! I've oftened wondered that too - if other people were using our name and charging to our cabin because so often, they don't ask to see your card, ESPECIALLY at the Purser's Desk, at least with other cruise lines we've been on, can't speak for HAL yet. =dunno =dunno

A

Anonymous User

LJ, I have to look at my on-board account, now I am wondering if John charged to MY account :lol. Every other cruise line I have been, I needed my shipboard card to buy a drink, but not on the Maasdam.

S

sail7seas

Last time we were on Princess (which probably will be the last time we will be on Princess), we went to the same lounge 14 nights in a row....same bartender....every night. Every time we walked in to this very small lounge that seated no more than 25 people (which is why we went there), that jerk bartender never remembered us; never remembered our cabin number which was their largest "AA" Suite; never remembered our drink.....All he remembered to do was to ask to see our card.

For some reason, we didn't remember to leave him any addition gratuity which is something we have never done in any lounge on any ship or ashore either for that matter.

On Princess you have to practically show your card to use the public restroom.
HAL stewards/bartenders pride themselves on learning names/faces/cabin number/drink of choice very quickly and remembering it.

It always amazes us how they remember hundreds of names each cruise. And if you come back a year later, many of them will still remember you.

Beats me how they do it.

J

Judi

We have a Delta Skymiles card. They usually have a "double" special a few times a year. If we're scheduled for a cruise, I put several hundred dollars on our shipboard account.

That way, at the end of the cruise, we usually get money back, instead of owing, and we also get the double miles! :thumb :thumb

A

Anonymous User

S7s, Thanks for the heads up that Princess is not Cheers. I have sailed them many many times and have always had a fabulous cruise. To me, having a bartender know my name or drink choice is not that important nor impressive. But then again, when John, Thumbs, dh and I get together, no one will forget us. We always had a great time with them.
The wait staff in the crows nest anxiously awaited our arrival. They enjoyed our company and were always waiting for their nightly laugh.

Like I always say, a cruise is what you make of it. IMO at this point in my cruising experience, meeting the crew, addicts, and new friends has always been and will be the highlight on my cruise.

S

sail7seas

Like I always say, a cruise is what you make of it. IMO at this point in my cruising experience, meeting the crew, addicts, and new friends has always been and will be the highlight on my cruise.

I guess that was my point. The part about always enjoying meeting the crew part..........

Because the bartender did not remember our names is not the reason we were not as satisifed with our last Princess cruise as we might have been. But his unfriendliness did not enhance it in any way.