Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Perks for Suites on Oosterdam?

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by All Wet, Jan 1, 2004.

1. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Maven: IT IS VERY GOOD TO HEAR how rapidly the issue was addressed. I am sure your clients were most impressed/pleased.

We know the massive volume of e-mail they get and how guarded they are about handing out their addy's. When you have shared a cocktail, a laugh, a pleasant visit in the past with the person capable of managing "a fix"........it doesn't get much better. :)

You, of course, are in something of a different position than us. We just board to be pampered, for DH to get some R & R, to visit our friends who just happen to live aboard the ships. These are people we would want to have as our friends if they lived in our neighborhood....they happen to live at sea for a good part of the year so that is where we go to visit them.

2. Shadowfaxx

Shadowfaxx Guest

Hi Folks,
    Reading your thread, you seem to be the right people to ask if I may change the subject somewhat. I have just booked an SS Suite guarantee on the Oosterdam 2/1. Myself and my DH would never normally be able to afford this, but it's for our 10th anniversary so I though we would splurge a little. My question is: How likely are we to be upgraded to an S Suite? Does it happen often, or do the planets have to be aligned just so to have it happen? :) I know this is a difficult question to answer but I guess what I'm hoping you can answer is-- do the upgrades seem to go most often to those whom have had this cruise booked for a long time or those that paid and excessive amount? If it is somewhat random I suppose we have a shot. Oh and by the way, we are past HAL guests. Since you are in the industry or have done many cruises, what do you think? Either way, we will know very soon, and I'm sure we will have a wonderful time. Thank you in advance. :)

3. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

In my opinion, the odds of your being upgraded for free to an "S" suite are very, very low. It is a rare occasion when that happens and I am sorry to have to say that I, for one, think that is how it should be.

For those of us who book and pay for an "S", it obviously would be a bit disturbing to know that others all around us in the Suite next door, or down the hall etc got it for free. We would feel very taken advantage of if we knew that cruise after cruise, HAL was giving away to lots of people what we pay for.

But getting back to your question......I know it has happened in the past and I also know it is most uncommon.

CONGRATULATIONS on your tenth Anniversary. Wishes for many more in good health and happiness. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

4. (5. COLD PRE-DINNER HORS D’OEUVRES - complimentary, delivered to suite on request, through Room Service.)
    They will also get you Hot Hore D' Oeuvres in your suite, if you have them at the same time as they have in the Explorers lounge etc.

(8. SUITE LUNCH AND DINNER - both lunch and dinner will be featured for cruises 10 days and longer. )
    No more Dinner.

(15. A SEPARATE LOCATION - on the day of disembarkation, a separate location is set up in the public rooms where Suite passengers may wait for their disembarkation number to be called. A coffee set up is to be provided.)
    This will be in the Neptune Lounge, if they have one on the ship.

MaryAnn: We have had the debriefing also, I guess Judy needs to move on up.

Barry

Post Edited (01-15-04 09:58)

5. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Hey, Barry..............Good to hear from you.

JUDY is quite happy with the gazillion cruises we have enjoyed in our "S".......different strokes for different folks, I guess. We have been in the "PS" a number of times and it holds no intrigue for us. He knows in which drawer to look for his sox with our "S".....

We love the "S" and have full intention of staying put.

(As to debriefing :) ....does sharing a few drinks with our HAL friends before/during/after dinner count as debriefing???? ) :lol

6. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Shadowfaxx - I concur with Sail. Chances of being upgraded gratis from an SS to an S are extremely slim.

Barry and Judy - Since I'll have the pleasure of 18 nights in the PS aboard Volendam in April/May, I'll be glad to update the amenities list. :) I've found that they sometimes vary from ship to ship.

7. Shadowfaxx

Shadowfaxx Guest

Thank you for answering my question. Wish I had booked into a room assignment now, but live and learn. I was hoping since we are booking so late and are past guest there might be a chance. There's no sense in letting empty suites- stay empty when it would make a passenger very pleased. Oh well, thank you anyway.

8. peaches

peaches Guest

I understand what you are saying, Shadowfaxx, but because of the cost of booking suites and the special amenities involved I don't think upgrading pax who booked and paid for lesser categories to a Deluxe Suite is quite the same as upgrading from one regular category to another rather than havea cabin empty. It may please the pax who was upgraded to a suite, but I think would create a great deal of dissatisfaction, even animosity, among pax who have pre-booked and paid for a suite. The cost difference of a suite is just too great for HAL to start doing this without creating a real problem.

9. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

I think you'll find that about 75 - 80% of the pax on most HAL cruises are repeaters. They have a huge number of pax who cruise with them again and again.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

10. Shadowfaxx

Shadowfaxx Guest

Well, then I wish I had not booked under a guarantee when I could have opted for a location and chosen the aft area of the ship which I prefer. If booking the guarantee only places me where the cruise line wants to stick me, then it also isn't fair. Why then book a guarantee at that level if there is not the hope to upgrade? I do understand the animosity that you speak of, but you know-- that would be caused by people who brag about it, wouldn't it? ;) No one need know what you paid, or how good a deal you got on a cruise. In fact, it's kind of an uncomfortable subject for me and I prefer not to discuss it with fellow passengers.

11. peaches

peaches Guest

Don't get me wrong because I have never booked a guarantee and am no expert, but I thought that what made a guarantee in any category 'fair' was that, though you would be placed in a cabin of the ship's choosing, you also were getting that category (and no lesser category) at less cost than booking a specific cabin. That's a trade-off that sounds fair to me.

Enjoy the Oosterdam!

12. Shadowfaxx

Shadowfaxx Guest

I don't know if it's always the case or not, but I could have chosen a cabin for the same price, but decided to gamble to see if I might be rewarded with an S suite. Sounds like I gambled for nothing, and that's what I have the problem with.

13. peaches

peaches Guest

Then I stand corrected. I thought I had always read that a guarantee was lower in cost and that was the reason to book one. You may just get lucky then and get an S. Maybe all the SS will be sold and HAL will have no other choice.

14. Shadowfaxx

Shadowfaxx Guest

Thank you, I will keep my fingers crossed. And it may well be that normally a guarantee is just as you have described, but when the time frame is under a certain amount (we leave in only a little over 2 weeks) they let you do either/or. I don't know. So much of it is a big mystery when it comes to how the cruise lines choose for upgrades. Wish I had the inside scoop! :)