** PLEASE READ ** - Forum and Community News

E

Einstein

As stated and if with anything NEW there is going to be a learning curve for EVERYONE. There is going to be a fine line in some cases as to whether a post should be on the Community Forum or on the Aft Deck Forum.

Example A ... Poster A starts a thread on the Community Forum about wanting to buy a NEW camera and asks for recommendations. Well is this an appropriate post for the Community Forum or should it be on the Aft Deck forum. Well IMO the poster is most likely buying a camera for a upcoming cruise and therefore it is appropriate that it stays on the Community Forum.

Example B ... Poster A posts about what style of swimsuit might be appropriate for their body style. Since the swimsuit is MOST likely for their upcoming cruise its suitable for a topic on the Community Forum.

Yes there is and WILL be a fine line as to where a thread remains and that is REALLY NOT any different than what exist now. There are threads embedded in each of the Cruise Line specific forums right now that may NOT appropriately located in the right forum depending on how one views the thread. I am sure the same thing will persist in the Community forum but the main thing to remember is that even if a thread is deemed to be moved there will ALWAYS be a tag left behind as to its NEW location.

So in the end I would not make a BIG issue out of a threads location if it borders on hat fine line of should it or should it NOT be located in this forum. Post away and over a period of time it will become quite evident what is or is not relevant to a threads criteria for remaining in the Community forum. And YES even a year or two from now there will still be threads that remain with question marks attached to them BUT the general direction will be set for the Community forum and the Aft Deck forum. :thumb

H

herb

[quote bOB]...what John wants to see is the community forum being what it was two to three years ago, the focal point for cruise discussion in general

with cruise line specific discussion falling to the individual line forums.

This gave two options, either doing away with the personally focused posts all together, which we did not want to do, or creating a place for just that, where those interested in sharing personal dilemmas among themselves and those interested would have a place to do it, we chose the latter.[/quote]

bOB... since "Community Board" will be the focal point for cruise discussion in general (as per your post) will the posts featured in the Cruise Q & A forum now be consolidated into the Community Board.

H

herb

[quote Einstein]As stated and if with anything NEW there is going to be a learning curve for EVERYONE. There is going to be a fine line in some cases as to whether a post should be on the Community Forum or on the Aft Deck Forum.

Example A ... Poster A starts a thread on the Community Forum about wanting to buy a NEW camera and asks for recommendations. Well is this an appropriate post for the Community Forum or should it be on the Aft Deck forum. Well IMO the poster is most likely buying a camera for a upcoming cruise and therefore it is appropriate that it stays on the Community Forum.

Example B ... Poster A posts about what style of swimsuit might be appropriate for their body style. Since the swimsuit is MOST likely for their upcoming cruise its suitable for a topic on the Community Forum.

Yes there is and WILL be a fine line as to where a thread remains and that is REALLY NOT any different than what exist now. There are threads embedded in each of the Cruise Line specific forums right now that may NOT appropriately located in the right forum depending on how one views the thread. I am sure the same thing will persist in the Community forum but the main thing to remember is that even if a thread is deemed to be moved there will ALWAYS be a tag left behind as to its NEW location.

So in the end I would not make a BIG issue out of a threads location if it borders on hat fine line of should it or should it NOT be located in this forum. Post away and over a period of time it will become quite evident what is or is not relevant to a threads criteria for remaining in the Community forum. And YES even a year or two from now there will still be threads that remain with question marks attached to them BUT the general direction will be set for the Community forum and the Aft Deck forum. :thumb

[/quote]

great idea about tagging and moving posts to their appropriate forum. I'm sure in the beginning there will be lots of "moved" posts, but you're right... it's a learning experience and I'm sure we'll all catch on quickly.

L

Lisa63

Herb, Bobbie -- thank you for adding clarification to the question I posted earlier. That's exactly what I was asking.

bOB -- thanks for the response. Let's see if I got it right:

Cruise Q&A: cruise-specific questions only (in other words, no change)

Community Board: posts that have an impact on most posters, preferably cruise-related, such as weather reports, cruise photos, cruise news, and an exception for Maw's office ramble (as it, IMO, ties our community together)

Aft Deck: posts that have an impact on few posters, mostly of a personal nature such as prayer requests, recipes, jokes, and other non-cruise related topics.

Do I have it right?

(BTW, I do think it's a great idea overall, particularly cutting down from the 80+ boards we have now...I know I've mentioned that in the past.)

H

herb

I guess we'll all have to put our thinking caps on to decide whether our post is "cruise related" -> Community or "cruise specific" -> Q&A :lol

N

NiteStar

Just when bOB starts to convince me that it won't be that difficult to decide where to put a post.....herb comes in and makes it sound like it's going to be a 5-10 minute decision process! :lol :lol I think I'll just stick to lurking for the next several months or longer and see how it goes. At present, I pretty much only read and/or post on the Community Board since I really don't have time to go "board hopping". So for now, I think I'll only post if I have a cruise question and I'll post it on the Community Board (where I've always been). As for personal stuff.....I'll just keep that all to myself. If I have a non-cruise related question that maybe I want to ask a particular poster....I can always ask them in a "private message". I really have enjoyed reading about everyone's lives the last few years and have always appreciated everything shared by the wonderful posters here at Cruise@ddicts. So whatever type of post is allowed in the Community Forum, I will continue reading. And hopefully I won't evenually lose touch with the wonderful people here, or stray to another site. As with changes in any venue, you will always lose some customers while gaining others. I really hope this sites gains many, many new posters, and also hope I'm not one of the ones you lose.

M

MARIPOSA

OK, I've flipped back and forth now between the Aft and community boards and now I can't remember which forum I'm on half the time and don't see it indicated anywhere on the page. :help

Where would I find this info quickly so I will know which forum to switch to when I am finished reading this one? :lol

Hugs, Mari

G

Gayle V

ACtually, now I'm more confused than when John first posted the changes. AT first I thought the Aft deck would include all our personal chit chat, and that's fine. But now some personal chit chat is OK but other stuff is not.

I can't see how you can possibly consider the morning ramble as being cruise related. I post in the ramble most days, and I don't think 99% of it has anything to do with cruising. The closest thing to cruising in there is Maw hoping Paw will be healed in time for their cruise. Mostly we're talking about the weather, and our plans for the day, washing clothes, Doctor's appointments, plus dinner and social plans, and house work.

But I can't help but feel that the Ramble is being kept on the Community page simply because it's popular. I think if you decide to keep the poplular chit chat but move the rest Aft, you are relegating the remaining relationship chat to extinction. Sorry, I'm just not as enthusiatsic about this as I was this morning.

T

Tobyn

KUDOS! ! ! I am NOT unhappy to see the change. Seems pretty self evident to me as to where to post different topics. I welcome the update and will see how things evolve. I might even post something in the wrong forum once or twice, but I think we will get the hang of it.

Thanks Captain for making a herculean effort to please as many as possible and make this the best cruise related site on the net.

E

Einstein

Would it make MORE sense to EVERYONE if it was just stated that only Prayers & Concerns would be posted in the Aft Deck Forum and all other non repetitious OT postings are to remain on the Community Forum??? In essence that is what is being said unless another type of OT post comes to fruition and begins to over run the Community Forum. B)-

M

MARIPOSA

E, I respectfully disagree with this concept because then it would be only very sad postings on that forum and I don't think that is the concept. Personally, I feel that it needs the balance of the joyful and fun things as well, or it might as well be named The Chapel. :S
How about if we just stick to the idea of very personal and OT topics or whatever is not cruise related at all and stick to that?

Mari

E

Einstein

I do understand Mari. :thumb The ambiguous gate opening of OT non cruise related posts is NOT descriptive enough and will only create more controversy. So how about including the Anniversary and Birthday postings along with the Prayers & Concerns for the Aft deck Forum. That might be the right mix of joy & sorrow. =?

J

JacquieP

Excedrin headache #654 in progress. I just became what I expect will be a full time lurker. Maybe, maybe not?