Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

** PLEASE READ ** - Forum and Community News

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by John, Sep 13, 2007.

1. BobTuck

BobTuck Guest

I think Glo hit it right. The community board is like an old couch. Whats happened here over the last few years is really good for the old timers, but not so good for new users looking for cruise information. Over time, the mainstay of this board has become so very close that ALL topics are relevant. I think that is what is so appealing to so many of us - Its comfortable.

Most of the posters here are VERY cruise savy, so were not asking very many questions of each other anymore. As a community we have a wealth of cruising knowledge just waiting to be tapped. Some posters here probably could have given advise for cabin selection on the ARK. (That's not a remark on age, but experience) The problem is that new posters may be intimidated by how close this board has become. They look and don't see any cruise discussion and move on.

I think that is why John is making the change and I think its the right thing to do. All he is really asking us to do is move to another room and keep doing what we are doing. Keep the chit chat and dedicate the main forum to cruise related topics.

I say BRAVO John. I think everyone wins with this! After awhile the new couch will be broken in and comfortable again, :thumb

2. bOB

bOB Guest

No one really likes change, especially when it affects their comfort zone but it has been less than 24 hours since this proposal was initiated and already the site is being accused of going over to the dark side or worse yet becoming like [sub](shudder)[/sub] the "other board". Well first of all it will only become like any other board if that is what the people make it, changing a couple of forums around will not cause that.

We are talking about moving some posts to place them in the appropriate places, not removing them, let's not get the cart before the horse, we have been moving posts to better serve the community for over a year, so far it hasn't made us like any other board.

SO.........
    How about everybody take a deep breath, count to ten and move forward with a little patience to allow us to create a pattern that can act as a guideline. Yes, some forums will be merged, some will be removed and that activity will be redirected to other forums but all that will be determined by traffic patterns and less than 24 hours is hardly enough time to generate a traffic pattern with which to make an intelligent decision. In the meantime we will try to keep confusion to a minimum and everybody's part will be a lot easier with less confrontation and more cooperation.

3. herb

herb Guest

[quote bOB]No one really likes change, especially when it affects their comfort zone but it has been less than 24 hours since this proposal was initiated and already the site is being accused of going over to the dark side or worse yet becoming like [sub](shudder)[/sub] the "other board". Well first of all it will only become like any other board if that is what the people make it, changing a couple of forums around will not cause that.

We are talking about moving some posts to place them in the appropriate places, not removing them, let's not get the cart before the horse, we have been moving posts to better serve the community for over a year, so far it hasn't made us like any other board.

SO.........
    How about everybody take a deep breath, count to ten and move forward with a little patience to allow us to create a pattern that can act as a guideline. Yes, some forums will be merged, some will be removed and that activity will be redirected to other forums but all that will be determined by traffic patterns and less than 24 hours is hardly enough time to generate a traffic pattern with which to make an intelligent decision. In the meantime we will try to keep confusion to a minimum and everybody's part will be a lot easier with less confrontation and more cooperation.[/quote]

BRAVO bOB for writing such a "to the point yet polite" post. It definitely puts everything into perspective.

4. bOB

bOB Guest

Herb, we are just trying to make it work.
    This is not a community of 8, it is a community of 800 and if you focus on trying to keep the 8 happy pretty soon you start loosing the 800, when the 800 are gone you can't afford to keep it going for the 8, we just don't see that as an acceptable scenario. It was time for plan "B" but even with a plan, there will be some improvising as we go.

5. MARIPOSA

MARIPOSA Guest

Well, here is what the Capt first posted when he introduced the AFT DECK "I ask that any posts that are not cruise and/or community related be posted within a brand new forum entitled ‘The Aft Deck’. The AFT DECK forum is a great new place to share your Prayers & Cares postings, along with ANY off topic postings that do not fall within the normal cruise related topics of the other forums."

I thought this was a good idea since some don't want to be bothered with non cruise related posts and those of us who do certainly don't want to cause anyone any anxiety. Most of us probably won't mind 'playing' on another part of the ship. I don't. But it does bother me that not all non-cruise related OT posts are moving there together. Either there is a cruise related board and an OT board or the move just doesn't make much sense to me.

It seems as though some board moderators are suggesting that there is to be a group forum (community board) , and a personal forum
    (Aft DEck). This doesn't sound very good to me. But I won't bitch about it any more, I'll just learn to deal with whatever the Capt decides. Just so I have a place to share that Elliott is now in remission, that's all that I care about. Hope many of you visit the AFT DECK to read about good news such as this.

Hugs, Mari

6. seamom

seamom Guest

My boss told me I was an anamoly (gotta go for the dictionary) as I told her I liked change.......sounds like changes to make it better here. It will certainly make the ports boards seem more active and heck...why not have a 'Caribbean cruise', 'Mediterranean cruising board etc as we don't just stop in one place...our questions overlap many islands or port stops on a cruise.

....now if anyone like me gets lost from time to time going to the community and wonders "where'd everyone go?" instead of Aft.......give us a poke with the private message, anyone, anytime, to say 'hello, the party's at the end of the ship where it takes longer to get into port..... :lol

7. John

John Guest

Hi, I just want to help clarify things about my decision of refocusing things back to cruise and community related conversations. Thats really what is being asked.. nothing more or less. Cruise Addicts is at its heart a CRUISE lovers community. We talk about cruise travel and all the things that we enjoy about it. I'm asking that we not forget this.

I understand and enjoy the community aspect and the Off Topic nature also. The sharing of our lives as well. However, I also understand that this can overshadow our true focus at times. I think its absolutely wonderful that people here have made deep friendships and share personal aspects of their lives with each other. I'm part of this community just like you. This is why I'm investing allot of money into Instant Messaging and Chat Rooms that will enable real time communication amongst our members.

This being said, I'm once again asking that we focus more on our uniting topic.. CRUISE TRAVEL and our Community on the community board. For most people this means to keep posting what you've been posting. For others it may mean a slight change. The AFT Deck was created as an alternative for some who wanted to request prayer, talk about health concerns, pet concerns and life issues. You may also feel the NEED to post something that DOES NOT fit within the other boards. The AFT Deck should not become another Community Board. Its just a place to be given the opportunity to keep posting those things that MAY not fit on the Community Board anymore. I don't think we need to attempt to make a list of what is and isn't allowed on the community board.. because when you think about it.. its quite broad. I just ask that you re-focus back to cruise and community topics.

The users who visit Cruise Addicts want to talk about their joy for cruising and the love of travel. Everyone has heartaches and pain at home. Its important that our most important board be a happy place. Users come to here to escape from these harsh realities. People take cruises to escape from tough jobs, health issues and sadness. Since the most popular board is the Community Board.. its essential that we put our most positive, cruise and community related conversations out front for all visitors. This is why I've asked for a re-focusing. Because users want to ask questions, share experiences and the love of cruise travel.

Most users who have been part of this community have been doing this naturally for many years. So don't change or feel you need to.

8. RosieRosie

RosieRosie Guest

John, thanks for making these changes. They needed to happen to keep us talking about cruises - that's what it's all about. We still want to know what's going on in each other's lives so the Aft Deck is a good place for that. I'm looking forward to seeing a better than ever Cruise @ddicts! =cheerleader

9. Ruchela

Ruchela Guest

Well, I've gone through this entire thread. Guess, since I do not cruise anymore as much as most people here do, I may be more of a lurker too.

I have met some nice people here, and hopefully one day will meet you on the sea.

10. gottacruz

gottacruz Guest

hi guys,
    include me in with the new changes.

gottacruz

11. H2O babe

H2O babe Guest

I guess I'm confused as I read Maw's ramble everyday and after reading the new posting suggestions I would think that it would be a thread for the Aft Deck. Most days it has very little to do with cruising and yet many of us read it just because we like to know what's going on in her life and the lives of others who post on that thread. Today I went to Aft deck to look for it and I see it's on the community forum. I guess I'll just bob around on a whole bunch of threads. I do agree that the Aft Deck is a great place for all our off topic threads. I just don't get which threads are considered off topic!!!

K.

12. bOB

bOB Guest

H2O please read Johns post 4 posts up paying close attention to paragraph three, hopefully that will clear it up a little.

And don't worry Ma's office will be right here

13. CaribbeanSun

CaribbeanSun Guest

It is about time IMO. This should have been done long ago. The other day I felt like this forum was a prayer forum as opposed to a cruiser forum.

Maybe cruisers will come back to this forum when it becomes a cruise forum again.

14. elliottsmama

elliottsmama Guest

John, this is your board and I will play by whatever rules you have. I am still typing the same messages, just putting them in a different place. I will probably miss out on some information if it is not in the AFT section but the information here is what interests ME. And thank God there is a place for prayers. Apparently some people were bothered by our prayers for Elliott and others. That however is a shame. Without the friendships and prayers, the trials we all go through in life would be impossible to deal with. The only thing I don't like about the change is the name "AFT"..I would have liked something like"Home with a heart"...but no biggie...just a title. Thanks for doing what you do. This board is hard work and not cheap I am sure. And after being away for a while and then coming back, I realized how much it means to me.

15. SandyBeach

SandyBeach Guest

Now that my eyes and head hurt from reading and getting confused or not...I think it's a wise move Captain John.

As much as I love to pray for anyone who asks that is not the true purpose of this board. The people here have been blessed by the compassionate nature of everyone so that they feel at ease in asking for prayer and telling about their life adventures good and bad. Thank you for continuing to have a place where we can go to share our needs and tell of our joys. Had you shut down any avenue for that then this board might have become like many of the others.

I have to admit, though, that I liked it in the beginning when I could come to the community board and ask any cruise related question I wanted. I didn't have to go to the Carnival board or to the Port board or whatever...I could just ask. Be that as it may...I'm willing to make whatever changes are necessary to keep C@ growing.

16. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Well said, Sandy. Those are my thoughts, exactly.

Cindy, I don't think the prayer requests (for anyone) were bothering most people. In fact, we benefited from them ourselves when our son had major surgery last year. I see the Aft Deck as an extension of our Community in which we can discuss aspects of our personal lives not related to cruising.

17. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

>>>Cindy, I don't think the prayer requests (for anyone) were bothering most people. In fact, we benefited from them ourselves when our son had major surgery last year. I see the Aft Deck as an extension of our Community in which we can discuss aspects of our personal lives not related to cruising.

Lisa - I agree completely with what you say. Since, for awhile, it seemed to fall on me to be the one requesting prayers/good thoughts for our fellow @ddicts and furbabies, I am most happy to have a Forum different from the Community Forum on which to post such requests if necessary. I just hope that the few who found it objectionable choose to skip over those threads and not bother the majority who responded to them and found solace in them. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm not necessarily diplomatic when I feel strongly about something. And maybe - just maybe - the fact that there was such an outpouring of prayers for Elliott has helped upgrade his condition, and the outpouring of prayers for Bruce helped in the good news that he did not have pancreatic cancer. Many DO believe in the power of prayer and/or positive thinking in whatever form they choose. And I'm grateful that we'll have a Forum where those who don't share such feelings - to which they most certainly are entitled - will find many other threads of interest so we won't be bothered by their displeasure. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if this response were pulled - but I'll have made a copy of it. ;)

18. BostonsJ

BostonsJ Guest

Mary Ann here here! I have been biting my tongue for several days now since this appeared. One of the reasons that Cruise @ddicts stood out among other boards was that the COMMUNITY did bond. People extended themselves to one another and chose to be with one another on non-cruise related activities. Had I not personally come to know Joanne over the last 4 years would I have felt so close to her the minute she stepped into my home? NO. It was like we were friends forever when we got together. That is what this community board brought to us and that is what will be sorely lacking in the future. Honesty, personal sharing of who we are, life happens and when it does all H@ll breaks loose it defines who we are.

I know I personally enjoyed getting to hear about the lives of others. When I can cruise once again believe me there are those I will chose to cruise with because I have developed a fondness for their personal strengths, their idealism and their kindness. And there will be others that I would chose not to share my precious vacation time with.

Until someone has to walk in the shoes of a person who is dealing with a life and death situation judge not. God Help you when/if it happens to you because when the rug is swept out beneath you and you feel you have no place to turn knowing a mass of people are standing behind you praying is maybe the only hope you have. Believe me I have been there and it isn't pretty. If some of the
    posts got beyond prayer requests, why not delicately address it ? Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

I do not wish to see the Board suffer John has provided a wonderful cruise board and .........it stood out from all of the rest in my mind. The Community Board made the cruise site from it's early days. I do understand it is first and foremost a cruise board, however it was a different cruise board owned by John but built by a loyal following of people who genuinely cared about one another. Let that not be lost in this whole scenario. Maybe my post will be pulled also but I guess everyone knows from my postings here I say it like I see it.

19. Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle Guest

[quote John]Users come to here to escape from these harsh realities. People take cruises to escape from tough jobs, health issues and sadness. Since the most popular board is the Community Board.. its essential that we put our most positive, cruise and community related conversations out front for all visitors. This is why I've asked for a re-focusing. Because users want to ask questions, share experiences and the love of cruise travel.[/quote]

:thumb John, I applaud your efforts in trying to revive/redirect the community focus of C@!!!

And, to show my support, I'm off to start a thread and/or post on the Community Board!! :D

As always I wish you all the best,

20. Sea Turtle

Sea Turtle Guest

[quote BostonsJ]Until someone has to walk in the shoes of a person who is dealing with a life and death situation judge not. God Help you when/if it happens to you because when the rug is swept out beneath you and you feel you have no place to turn knowing a mass of people are standing behind you praying is maybe the only hope you have. Believe me I have been there and it isn't pretty. If some of the
    posts got beyond prayer requests, why not delicately address it ? Why throw the baby out with the bath water?[/quote]

Good grief, BostonsJ--sounds like a hell of a lot of damnation for a community board on a cruise website. You might want to reel yourself in a bit.