Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Poor Kiefer got attacked in the park

Discussion in 'The Safe Harbor' started by GloBug, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Kiefer, I'm glad the bites aren't any worse, and hope they stay that way.

As for "why" the dog turned? I don't know, for some reason the dog felt threatened, I bet though. Who knows, maybe the vet will have an answer for you on the "whys" when you return today, and, a suggestion of how, and if, you can bring the two dogs back together again.

Good luck!

2. JANPEP

JANPEP Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

Oh the poor baby, I'am glad it wasn't any worse. Give Kiefer a hug from me.

3. seamom

seamom Well-Known Member

Wow...scary...poor Kiefer. Casey is only 15 lbs. and barks wacky at our neighbours dumb dogs...one beaglish and another black labish that howl and bark and outweigh her triple. She's ready to take them on (though I'm sure if she ran at them the brakes would come on two feet away but they might retaliate in fear of the whippersnapper)....so I worry at her feistiness sometimes.

4. Cyndi

Cyndi Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Kiefer,, :(and I hope he recovers real fast. :clap:

5. reggae

reggae Well-Known Member

So very sorry for little Kiefer, I hope he recovers and is not fearful now. Please give him a hug for me..

Who knows what set the other dog off....could be a sound, a smell in the air, could be anything...

If I may, I would just like to defend German Shepherds.

Unfortunately, it's all about training. We have many hours in training this dog, and many more to go. Our dog shows no aggression, but he is young, and very trainable. We make a point of having lots of exposure to other dogs, children, etc. He is never off-leash when out of our house, or not in the yard.

We will not tolerate aggression. If you walked into my house, you would be greeted by a dog that sits. If you pet him, he will respond with tail wags and licks. But this takes many hours of training.

A lot of people just get a dog, and then expect it to train itself. Then when the dog bites someone, they respond with punishment...causing more aggression.

But, unfortunately, there are people that chain a German Shepherd to a tire, and leave them in the yard. They want aggression. This gives the breed a bad name.

Glo, we had a similar experience with another dog. Someone was walking a German Shepherd down our street off-leash. Our small Cocker Spaniel was in our front yard, and the GS ran over and picked up our dog with one swoop. The guy called his GS over and kept walking....no big deal for him. Our dog ended up with two large puncture wounds and off to Emergency we went. Thankfully, he survived.

Unfortunately, it's not only the dog, but the owner that needs training.

6. sage

sage Well-Known Member

How is Kiefer this morning? I hope that he had a restful night. I know that he loved and felt safe having you near him during the night. And how are you feeling this morning? You need to take good care of yourself as well. Please give Kiefer a hug for me, and the Chloe, Harley and Lilly send tail wags to Kiefer.

7. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

OK Glo,

First thing this morning, I called back to Wolverine and told Cody what happened. He says not to wurry, he's "gearing-up".
    [​IMG]

He said it should be an easy shot, since we already know where this Mikey lives ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  8. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Well-Known Member

Hope to read that you AND Kiefer got some rest..Poor Baby..

and Reggae is so right on Shepards's as a former owner back in the day..my Bullet was gentle as a lamb..

it *IS* the owners who neglect or are not on track..bet your friend is heart broken over it all too..sigh..

best healing thoughts and keep us updated..hugs and gentle scritches to Kiefer..,and your owie finger better too.....Joanne

9. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

Oh yeah, the finger. Which one? No, don't show me .... and it probably wasn't that one anyway!

10. GloBug

GloBug Senior Flea Coller Tester

Commander Cody to the rescue! My hero...

ha ha, no it was the pointer finger of my right hand. No puncture wounds, but after it had been washed good at the vets, I did see two pin sized spots of blood, so I think it was just impact. But it is swollen and black and blue and hard to bend, as you can imagine. If it were the other finger, I wouldn't have to bend it!

11. audrey

audrey Well-Known Member

glad to hear kiefer is ok I know that when the dog came up and bite me everyone in the house said the dog was very gentle not that morning he was not.

12. TexasSue

TexasSue Well-Known Member

Again can't stress enough to watch that finger the last thing you need is an infection in it on top of everything else.

Hope everyone had a good night and he does well at the vet today.

Susan