Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Prayers for a Friend, please?

Discussion in 'The Safe Harbor' started by ShipMaven, Jan 1, 2010.

1. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

Thank you, Marie.

My friend (who had the biopsy yesterday), his family, another friend and I - ten of us in all - went to my favorite dinner theatre today. He looks somewhat haggard - who wouldn't be under the circumstances!?! - but he and everyone else enjoyed the show (Gypsy). Hopefully, it gave his mind a much-needed diversion.

2. ShipMaven

Thank you again for your prayers. I'm sad to say that he was indeed confirmed with lung cancer today - he doesn't have details yet.

3. TexasSue

TexasSue Well-Known Member

Many prayers from here and that's its been caught early.

4. ShipMaven

Thank you, Sue.

My friend has been undergoing a whole series of tests. He does not have myeloma. The cancer does appear to be confined to the one lung. I believe 1/3rd of the affected lung will be removed, followed by a course of chemo to be certain that the surgery doesn't release any cells elsewhere.

He meets with his oncologist/surgeon on Tuesday, and is hoping they can operate by the end of the week.

5. bostongal

bostongal Well-Known Member

Mary Ann - I am so sorry that I didn't see this sooner. It sounds like there is a small amount of possible good news in that your friend's lung cancer is confined to one area. I will pray that there is a good outcome for your friend and I will pray for you!

My mom died of lung cancer when I was 18. She was 48 but a heavy smoker her whole life. I have never smoked as a result - watching her suffer was enough for me.

Hugs my friend - Meg

6. JacquieP

JacquieP Well-Known Member

Mary Ann, I forgot to tell you I put your friend is on the churchwide prayer list now, so that means he has about 2000 more prayers headed his way every day. Please continue to let us know how he's doing.

7. ShipMaven

Another round of hugs and thanks for your good thoughts and prayers. They are very much appreciated.

My friend is scheduled for surgery on Thursday to remove about 1/3 of a lung. Evidently, it's Stage 1...and unless something unexpected is found, prognosis appears to be good - please God.

This will be the first time he's ever had to stay in-hospital - probably 4-6 days.

Please continue to keep him in your prayers. Thank you.

8. JacquieP

JacquieP Well-Known Member

Will do, and I will report this information to the prayer team at church as promised.

9. ShipMaven

Thank you so much, Jacquie.

10. TexasSue

TexasSue Well-Known Member

Prayers continued and it sounds like it was caught very early and can have a good outcome. fingers crossed keep us posted.

11. ShipMaven

My friend is having surgery tomorrow morning.

He and his family appreciate your prayers and good thoughts.

12. sage

sage Well-Known Member

Prayers are on the way for your friend and the surgeons removing the mass.

13. Calgon1

Calgon1 Awaiting results of mental evaluation

Certainly hopeing all goes well. In our prayers....

14. kpopperwell

kpopperwell Well-Known Member Community Sponsor

Sending prayers that all goes well.

15. ShipMaven

Again, thank you.

He was out of surgery around 11:00am - it went well, thank God, according to his step-daughter who's a Nurse. Margins appear to be clear, and they're checking lymph nodes. Please God, they'll be clear, too. He's supposed to be in ICU a couple of days, but if possible, I'll go visit him tomorrow afternoon.

16. Cruise cutie

Cruise cutie Well-Known Member

Please know you and your friends best outcome prayers remain with you all..hugs Joanne

17. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

Good thoughts on the way.

18. ShipMaven

I spent several hours yesterday afternoon visiting my friend, sitting with his wife. He had been moved from ICU to the telemetry section of the hospital earlier in the PM. He had good color in his face, but was quite heavily sedated and in considerable pain.

I'm certain all your prayers and good thoughts are helping. Thank you again!

19. ShipMaven

Re: Prayers for a Friend, please? - Update

Today's update...

Wonderful news - Thank God, his lymph nodes are clear!

Bad news - his lung collapsed. They're working on that.

He will be hospitalized longer than the originally anticipated 6 days.

Again, thank you for your continuing prayers.

20. bostongal

bostongal Well-Known Member

Mary Ann - So glad to hear that it's not in the lymph glands! Hope the lung comes back up and your friend can go home soon - better place to heal!

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend, his family and you!

Meg