• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Purchasing alcohol/soda upon San Juan arrival prior to cruise

N

NJRonbo

Hey folks!

Will be sailing Golden Princess out of
San Juan within the next two months.

Upon arrival in San Juan where would
you recommend stocking up on alcohol
and soda to pack in suitcase before boarding?

Appreciate help in advance.

T

tkubi7

We have found some of the cheapest prices on liquor right at the San Juan airport. If you buy 4 bottles, they give you a nice backpack carrier. The liquor and cigarettes were cheaper there than on the ship or in St. Thomas. This time when we went, we didn't bother getting the liquor until right before our flight home. So much less hassle and expense. Hope this helps and enjoy yourself

N

NJRonbo

Nope...

I actually mean buying in advance and bringing onboard
in luggage.

I am hoping Princess doesn't do a thorough check.

C

Christine Cruisin

I guess we need to clarify...is this for use one board or to take home with you? Princess does NOT do a through check of luggage or hand carry on's for liquor, unless it's blatent. If you're discret so are they. I did bring wine on board for consumption on the Golden in San Juan. It's much less expensive (even with the $10 corkage fee at dinner) and you get what you want. Plus you have something for cocktail hour on the balcony.

N

NJRonbo

Glad to see that Princess is lax on this policy as long as it is not blatant.

Royal Caribbean is just as lax. I always manage to get a few bottles of
rum or vodka on board.

On the other hand, beware of NCL. From what I hear they do a very good
job of confiscating any liquor brought on board.

K

Karry

Yep, we went on NCL Dawn last year and they had a huge table of bottles confiscated from bags. We "got thru" because I "hid" the alcohol in soda bottles. One in our party brought ONE SIX PACK of beer and it was taken away!!!

C

Cruise cutie

We only bring on champagne and wine which IS allowed on Princess for private consumption,which we brought from home wrapped carefully as carryon on the flights.. ....For Diet Pepsi..in San Juan... we went to the local Walgreens, downtown walking distance from The Wyndham Condado where we stayed.. for 2 -12 packs of diet pop for DH Mark,(cost $7.00 ..).hand carried that on with our carryon luggage..what Princess passengers can do..is order a gift package of liquor gifted to yourself to your room... and send it to themselves online prior to sailing..=shrug, we do not drink enough to make a difference, I have an occasional glass of wine or small drink of the day..:cheers..Joanne