Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Question Re: Balcony Categories

Discussion in 'Know Before You Go' started by Happy2cu, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Happy2cu

Happy2cu Well-Known Member

How can I find out what the different codes for balcony staterooms mean? For example, I am looking at the Ruby Princess and have gotten a price from cruise compete for a balcony cabin, category BD, which is on deck 11. It looks like its towards the aft of the ship. I also received a quote for a category BB which is definitely an aft cabin. When I look on other decks, I see category BA, BC, BE & BD. Do the cabins generally get more expensive the higher up you go?

2. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Forever Remembered

The "B" balcony categories are pretty much the same size cabin but the balcony size can vary. Also, and for some more importantly, the designations have to do with location on the deck.

BA will be the most midships, BB to either side of that (plus a few coveted aft-facing locations on several decks), BC more forward/aft, etc., etc. All things being equal, BA will be most expensive, BB is oftentimes included in group space with special pricing, etc.

Hope this helps.

3. Happy2cu

Thanks Mary Ann!

4. Jeanie

Jeanie Well-Known Member

Thanks Maryann for the explanation

5. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

Oh if only it was that easy. Let us take a Princess ship at random, like say the Ruby Princess ...

Ruby Princess Deck Plans : Princess Cruises®

Cruise lines believe that the higher the cabin, the more desirable it is. Cruise lines also believe the the closer to the middle of the ship you are the more desirable the cabin is. Finally cruise lines believe that rear facing cabins are desirable.

So, the highest deck with balcony cabins are the BA cabins. In the case of the Ruby Princess that is the Lido deck (15). These cabins are near the front of the ship.

The next highest deck with balcony cabins is the Riviera deck (14). The cabins near the middle of the ship are BB cabins. The cabins near the two ends are BC cabins. The rear facing cabins are BB.

The next highest deck with balcony cabins is the Aloha deck (12 - Somebody lost count and deck 14 was put on top of deck 12. By the time they realized their mistake it was too late to fix it.) The cabins near the middle are BC cabins and the cabins near the two ends are BD cabins.

The next highest deck with balcony cabins is the Baja deck (11). The cabins near the middle are BD cabins and the cabins near the ends are BE cabins. The rear facing cabin are BB and near the front the cabins are BF and at the front (but still side facing) are the BG cabins.

The next highest deck with balcony cabins is the Caribe deck (10). The cabins near the middle are BA and the cabins near the ends (and rear facing) are BB. Why BA and BB instead of BE and BF you ask? Because the Caribe balconies are BIG and half covered and half not covered. Thus, very desirable and thus get a higher grade than the lower deck would normally get.

The next lower deck with balcony cabins is the dolphin deck (9). This deck is full of mini-suites (as opposed to semi sweets). Thus these are AA (middle) and AB (the two ends) with some BB rear facing balconies.

And that this point we have reached the lowest deck with balconies.

So what have we learned? BA cabins are on the highest deck with balconies or are middle of the Caribe deck which have bigger balconies. BB cabins are either the next highest deck near the middle or at the ends of Caribe deck or are rear facing. BC cabin are either near of the ends of the decks with BB cabins in the middle, or in the middle of the next lower deck. BD cabins are either at the ends of the deck with BC cabins or in the middle or the next lower deck. And so on and so on.

Got it?

The following pictures are from the Caribbean Princess ...

[​IMG]

The balconies to the far right are mini-suite (AA & AB) balconies. The balconies above and to the left of the mini-suite cabins are the Caribe (BA and BB) balconies.

This is a Caribe balcony ...

[​IMG]

As you can see, you could fit six chairs on this balcony, making it bigger than the mini-suite balconies which can only fit four chairs (the regular balconies can only fit two chairs).

This is a mini-suite balcony ...

[​IMG]

Of course, some balconies are bigger than others ...

[​IMG]

6. Happy2cu

Oh my gosh - it's so confusing! I'm going to take some time and look at the deck plans and re-read everything. We are looking at a BB aft cabin #B756. It looks like there is a hallway or closet on the side of it.

7. bob

bob Chief Engineer Staff Member

For a bigger balcony and still in the BB category, consider, B748, 749, 750, 751 or drop down a deck to C752 or 753, we used to book C752 on the Sapphire quite a bit, those are all nice cabins. Also consider C701 through 743, those are the half and half balconies that Cruizer described, very large and comfortable, but Caribe deck is the only deck that has them. Riviera, Aloha and Baja decks all have small balconies about half the size.

8. ShipMaven

Very true, Cruizer, but I was merely trying to give Donna a basic starting point. Then let's not forget the coveted aft-facing BB categories that have a not-so-lovely obstruction on the balcony that is not shown on deck plans. So these cabins need to be selected carefully as well. And cabins above and below public rooms need to be checked out as well. And...and...and... :scratch:

9. BSeabob

BSeabob Reinststed due to good behavior-Subject to change Staff Member

ahhh I think I'll just take the first balcony on the bottom left of the top picture......:biggrin:
    I'm pretty sure that's why that picture was taken ???

10. Cruizer

Cruizer Well-Known Member

I did not mean to imply that you were wrong, and in fact you are not wrong. The message I was trying to get across is that the category game is not an easy one to boil down to a simple paragraph. I know you have inside information (and ocean view information, and balcony information and even suite information). :doubleup:

The way I pick my cabin is to determine which one I want, then find out what category it is in (much simpler that way).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  11. ShipMaven

Sorry if I gave you that impression, Cruizer. Absolutely not my intention. You gave a very detailed and thorough reply. I like your method of picking a cabin! :doubleup:

12. rallhl

rallhl New Member

In researching this same area, we found out that the area between B756 and B757 is a vent. We switched out of B757 and booked B749 after reading some complaints about noise/smells from the vent.

13. Happy2cu

Yes I found that out also rallhl. So we booked C752.

14. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

The cream of the crop if you ask me!!! Enjoy!!! :spyglass:

15. Whimsy

Whimsy Well-Known Member

We recently cruise in C753, on the opposite side. Cabin space is the same as any other balcony but the balcony is larger and totally covered. Good choice! Enjoy!