• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Renee, cruise more than once a year

D

Debbie

I don't know how everyone else does it - we are ceratinly not made of money yet we do not have kids and I choose the least expensive one I can get my hands on with a lot of research and every disocunt I can find! Carnival ask me this time when I called to make sure the discounts had gone through if "there are any other ones?" kind of snippy like... Made me feel real good - Cruise.com wouldn't take the reservation because they would get a total of $28 commission and that was for the agency not the agent... :) Debbie

D

Denise P.

I would also use every discount i could get my hands on, don't worry about a snippy, rude Carnival agent, I don't know that they even get commisions , so I don't know what his problem would be. Some people are just rude, don't worry about it.
We're fairly young, 34 and 38, and have four kids, so we also booked the least expensive cruise (that still seemed fun) , and will next time as well. Maybe when the kids are out of school and out of the house we will be able to afford one of the nicer cruises, but by then I might be able to retire and would choose quantity over quality!

D

DisneyBlonde

I'm a single parent, so I where you're coming from.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know with me, it comes down to priorites. I'm going to Disney for two weeks in July and on the Voyager (YEAH!!!) in December...yet I owe the electric company, the oil company, the water company...

Let's not even get into what I owe Mr Visa and Mr MasterCard!!

You gotta enjoy life! This ain't no dress rehearsal, baby!

Diz

D

Debbie

Diz, I agree - I tell myself that each time I book a cruise... My neighbor says he doesn't know why I waste the money (even on a great deal of a 1500 total cruise) he would rather fix up his house or something. I do that too but I have to live too. I guess he just doesn't like to travel... Too bad because his wife loves to travel and doesn't get too... I hope I live to a healthy 80 or 90 with my hubby right along with me but if not I don't want to reget doing what I can now... :)

Denise - I'm at the quantity stage too - I keep saying I'll try the more expensive ones after I have seen everything else.. We did splurge on a balcony one time but that was when we thought we were going to stop cruising - that was 6 cruises ago... :) Debbie

D

DisneyBlonde

I love traveling too. I can't imagine not having some kind of adventure to look forward to.

My son was on his first plane when he was 13 weeks old, and we haven't stopped since!

Diz

J

Jenni

i know... i feel like you do and after reading your post i think i might look for another cruise to book!!!!!!!

D

Donna

I am lucky to get one cruise a year. Just decided that last year. Told hubby after missing RSMC not again. I am taking at least one cruise a year.

dsw

A

andrea

Not only is the money a factor in cruising only once a year for us, but the time! I don't see how some of you get away for 3 or 4 cruises a year! But I sure am envious!

My husband's family thinks we're nuts for cruising once a year, but I agree with the above. You've got to live life now because you never know what tomorrow may bring!

However, I think I'm developing some converts in my hubby's family. I convinced his grandmother to come with us on our last cruise and she took his mom to share a room with her. She didn't take her own flesh and blood sons, but rather her daughter-in-law!!! I think it's great! It was the first cruise for both of them. When we told them where we were going this year, grandma said, "where do I sign up!?!" She's 84. Better start late than never!!

andrea

B

Beckiep

Oh, boy do I understand this thread!!!

We love to travel! Have no children (and won't.) We like to go on various trips, even if it's just a getaway, to different areas of the country.
And I'm frugal. I grew up dirt poor and old habits die hard. (I have my clothes on the line as we speak because I can't see spending the money on the electricity to run the dryer when the air can do it free. Hubby doesn't understand that.)
We've been fixing up the house since we moved in four years ago--windows, siding, etc.-- and it's time to fix us up, do bigger trips and give the house a break. This doesn't mean we'll be traveling frequently or in the lap of luxury. We've been lucky this year in that Atlanta is almost free (we're only paying my air.) and Tahiti is all free except drinks, etc. There are still things we're looking forward to and need to save for---hubby's going to need a new car, we'd like to move in the next 5 yrs., early retirement to travel :) We want to travel while we can, both financially and physically. I envy people who can say...."I'm going."

As for the time off, it's not an issue for hubby. He's been with the same co. for 10 yrs. and has like 5 weeks vacation. I only get two. If I weren't working, we could go anytime, but if I weren't working, we couldn't afford to go at all, so it's a catch-22.

So I live vicariously through the bd.

D

Debbie

I only have two weeks too so we get two cruises a year. Hubby has more but too bad - he better not cruise without me! :)

Beckie - your post is scary! It sounds like us in a nut shell! No kids (not having any) love to travel - very cheap. My mom taught me when I was little and even though now she has money and doesn't care I can't seem to stop caring. I still can't hang out clothes though - mom used to and I'd get so embarrassed to see my undies up there!! :) No one around here does that - I don't know why - Texas is so hot it would dry them quick!!! And our electricity is going UP! We are saving for an early retirement too. Everyone around us is planning kids and we are planning retirement - seems strange to everyone else... :) Debbie

S

susancruzs

I hang out clothes on the line but not undies! A friend of mine down the street hangs out his boxers and I think that is so cute! I'm a single soul with 5 weeks vacation (same job for 32 years) and I guess it is nice to be at the point I can do two cruises a year but usually I do just one. Last year I had no vacation at all so this year it is 2 cruises. The way I look at it is you work hard, pay bills, maintain living quarters, kids or not, you deserve a break and you can't take money with you. As long as I don't leave debt for my family after I'm gone, I intend on spending it and cruising is like my hobby! I love it!

T

TAO

I, too as I get older (63+ closer to 64) feel the need to do the things I want to do. As Beckie said, I also grew up very poor and hubby and I have worked very hard for what we have. We have been blessed with three sons (great wives/ girlfriends) and 5 grandchildren. We are retired and can go anytime but that old "frugality" thing seeps in some times. Moneytree is not dropping too many $$$$ either. I lost a friend last week who was diagnosed with cancer shortly after she retired and never got to enjoy her retirement. It has me seriously rethinking a lot of things. As Susancruz says, my other side says not to burden our children.
I have been blessed in so many ways that I cannot and should not complain. Today we were going to stay home and get some yardwork done. Being that the temps were going to be in the 90's hubby said -- lets check out the new Home Depot in Plymouth. So we did, then we walked the Plymouth waterfront. On the bridge area of the jetty we pretended we were on a ship and watched the water go beneath us and the wind blow in our faces. Then had lunch at our favoirte restaurant overlooking the waterfront. Tonight I went to one of my grandson's Little League game. He got a hit, got home and his team won. What else can I ask for. Life is good. and I thank God each day for what I have been blessed with.

T

TAO

Another thought, sorry for going on so long. I love to hang clothes on the line. Not only is it free, I get fresh air while hanging them and they smell so good, especially sheets feel so good when fresh from the clothesline. If I can find it again I will post a great story about hanging clothes.

D

Debbie

This may sound weird to some - but yesterday when I got home form work I went out on the back deck to read and a butterfly plopped down right beside me on the the hand rail - it kept looking at me and walking along the hand rail and looking at me - I was talking to it and when I moved it didn't get scared - it stayed for a little while and flew off - This meant a lot - I love wild life and am on the deck to watch all the birds - butterflies I don't usually get to see up close expecially for so long! It meant a lot.... :) Debbie

T

TAO

Debbie,
Ok, Sometimes I share this and some times not, but your butterfly story caught my attention.
A few years ago I was getting ready to go to my brother's funeral in another state. As I was getting things ready I was watching TV. I do not remember what afternoon program was on, it was all about butterflies, especially yellow butterflies. It was the story of a death of a young person and the family's belief that a yellow butterfly came and they felt it was their loved one assuring them she was alright. Two days later we were sitting outside after my brother's funeral and two yellow butterflies were gracefully flying around. Unknown to me another peson had seen the same show and started saying it must be my brother-but who was the other butterfly? I replied it must be my other brother who had died a few years earlier.
I know it sounds wacky, but I had never seen a yellow butterfly until that day. And have only seen them a few times since in similar situations.