• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rocking and Rolling on the Radiance

C

CrazyCanuck

Well Schooner, you and I may not agree but I do feel the captain and crew owe the passengers the right of information especially where safety is an issue. I'm sure you are not allowed to comment as to why that ship left late or came in early but that was not a normal sail for Radiance based on what I have read and what other crew memebers, including customer service told us. I don't think that it is any different than an airline pilot advising passengers of turbulance so that they can take precautions and feel like the person in charge is comfortable and competent. Sorry but I didn't get that feeling and neither you nor customer service have done much to help change that opinion.

Thanks Ashley, I don't think I'll be back. We're headed to the Mediterranean next summer, was looking at RCCL but I just think they're changing too much from what we remember from years before. How knows maybe all the cruise lines are going the same way but for us I think it's time to try another.

F

frito

Wise choice to stay away from RCCL ships,as they are the only ones known to rock and roll with the water.

S

Schooner

Frito are you serious, I have also worked on Princess and Carnival and I would say that they have just as many rocky days as rccl.

Crazycanuck, sorry I couldn't convince you otherwise. One other thing when I write on here I don't have to hold anything back, I will tell it like it is.

C

CrazyCanuck

Schooner, I don't think you should hold back. If people don't write the truth, at least as they see it then the site doesn't work well.

Although it really wasn't the movement so much as a feeling of disregard for safety from the bridge. Schooner the night of that storm most passengers we spoke to were really concerned. Even a few crew memebers were concerned. What I didn't understand was why the captain or a bridge memeber address the passengers to reassure them. Sure it's horrible when there's bad weather and that's not in anyone's control but how it's handled is in the crew's control.

I was also disappointed that despite the ship coming in 8 hours early, and you know that's expensive for the line to do, that there wasn't a record of that or it's late departure. As a passenger that makes me wonder about things that were going on behind the scenes and if it was nothing then why no record? Maybe I'm just too suspicious for my own good.

If you have access to the people who should know then hopefully you can make a difference there so others don't encounter the same problems. For me, I think it's time for a change.

L

Lady Jag

:lol Frito!! :lol Too funny! :lol

EVERY cruise line has ships that will move in rough wind and seas. If it's the lack of info. that bothers you, there are plenty of other lines to try until you find the one that suits you. No one needs to talk you into cruising with RCI, there are plenty of us other @ddicts out here that thoroughly enjoy RCI's product. Give the other lines some business and find a place that suits you best. :)

F

frito

Good Grief !!! How could anyone think I was being serious when I said that RCCL ships were the only ones known to rock and roll in rough water?????

I have sailed Carnival, Holland America, Princess, Celebrity and RCCL , all several times each. I can say that at one time or another I have felt movement on each. They are ships---they float on a moving bed of water , therefore subject to the whims of the sea.

The roughest seas I ever encountered was on the Carnival Imagination a few years ago when It first came out. The next worse would probably be H.A.L., then on Celebrity's Horizon. Was it the ships ??? NO--it just happened that I was on those particular ships when the sea conditions were rough. If you cruise, you have to expect that the ship ( no matter which cruise line it is ) just may encounter some rough water and that you may feel some movement.

When we fly to and from our cruise ports, do we not sometimes experience turbulence on the airplanes ? Yes, most likely. Do we blame it on Delta, American, etc and say their planes fly rough? Probably not.

Schooner--take an aspirin and put a cool rag on your forehead---it was an attempt at humor.

C

CruiseCouple

Has anyone seen the video of the sea trials for Voyager of the Seas? The purposely start the ship listing back and forth at 5 degrees (I believe it was 5 unless my memory is failing). Well, if you saw that and saw how well the ship handled it you would be amazed. My point is that these ships are designed for motion and there is little to know danger from rough seas... the larger danger is high winds across the deck if things are not stowed properly. We hit very rough water on Grandeur returning to New Orleans from the Caribbean and I never heard so much creaking and groaning (the ship not the passengers) (ok, well, maybe some of the passengers) :) but everything held fine, everyone stayed calm and enjoyed themselves with indoor activities. It is just a matter a remaining calm and trusting your crew.

K

Ken_2001

There have been some smart reminder postings up above this one, that this is a vessel that is cradled in the ocean. The vessel will rock and pitch, sometimes pretty badly and frankly there's nothing anyone can do. As said before, the stabilizers, when extended will only reduce the rocking, and not the pitching.

for me, the rocking and pitching is quite relaxing. Now go and enjoy your cruise, and remember you are not in a parked car.