Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Ryndam's new Pinnacle Grill

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by ShipMaven, Oct 27, 2002.

1. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Having just returned from a Ryndam Sea of Cortez cruise, I posted this on the Community Bulletin Board, but thought it appropriate to repeat here...

When Holland America announced there would be a $15.00 per person charge for dining in their new Pinnacle Grill alternative restaurants on Ryndam and Statendam, I questioned in my mind whether or not it would be a success.

Nonetheless, I invited my friends to join me for dinner one night and actually booked the reservation while still on the pier waiting to board the Ryndam. I mentioned my doubts to the Concierge, but she wisely said..."Just try it once". No truer words were ever spoken!

The Pinnacle Grill has its own galley, its own chefs and a separate quality of provisions.
    I can sum it up in two words - BEYOND OUTSTANDING, and more than well worth the $15.00 charge. A meal in a fine restaurant of comparable quality and ambiance in New York, Chicago, San Francisco would cost a minimum of $150.00 per person.

The food is exquisite! The wine selection is excellent (including some fine wines that are not on ordinary wine lists). The problem comes in trying to make choices...and then leaving enough room for the fantastic desserts. The meats are so tender that you can almost cut them with a fork.

As the week progressed, the room became more filled each night - with many people (including us, unanimously) opting to dine there more than once.

I would urge anyone sailing on Statendam or Ryndam to give it a try. It's a totally different experience (and menu) from the HAL alternative restaurants Marco Polo and Odyssey.

Hopefully, I'll be able to scan in the menu and post photos that I took of the Grill.

It was a tremendous let-down to come home and toss a Weight Watchers meal in the microwave last night. :cry

2. janet

janet Guest

Thanks ShipMaven. We are really looking forward to trying this many times on our January cruise on the Ryndam. Looking forward to any other info you can give us.

3. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Sounds wonderful....makes me want to book Ryndam (or Statendam) just so we can dine there. :)

4. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Janet,

I'm swamped with a backlog of work right now, but I intend to write a full review of our cruise, and post photos in the Picture Gallery. Shall make a separate gallery for the Pinnacle Grill.

If this dining venue is as successful as I think it will be, I would recommend booking your dinner reservation as soon as possible. We were given the opportunity to do so on the pier while awaiting embarkation. Consider doing that if you have the option!

My second (quick) recommendation is - be sure to have an empty stomach when you dine there. The menu items are WONDERFUL, desserts included. Leave room for dessert! ;) I'm not really a dessert-eater, but I certainly made an exception both nights we "licked our chops" in the Grill !!!!!

5. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Sail - not a bad idea at all ! :lol

6. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

7. Judi

Judi Guest

sail7seas,

You will LOVE the food there, I can guarantee it! :grin

8. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

That solves it.....I'm calling TA.....I want dinner in Pinnacle!!!!

9. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Will you be sailing to Hawaii, Mexico or South America? :)

10. janet

janet Guest

Sure hope they give us the chance to book on pier. May not have that option in Santiago. But will definitly be our first duty after boarding. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

:( That's the problem...that's the reason we haven't booked Ryndam in recent years....
    We always loved that ship (and John Mulvaney who was her Exec Chef for so many years).....not our first choice for itineraries :(

DH would like to see more of South America; he hasn't talked me into it ...yet.

12. janet

janet Guest

Join us in January. You can go all the way to Antartica!! We can try out the Pinnacle together.

13. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

janet...that's a tempting invite. Thanks...I'd enjoy that. :)