• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"S" cat questions

R

redcrown

Have a couple of more questions after reading Hal"s brochure. First it says that you have priority boarding for tenders for ports of call and special embark disembark priviledges. What are these special priviledges? Also we will be having my cousin and his wife with us, they are staying in a VA cat. Are we allowed to bring them with us for this "special" extras like the tendering and the embarkation? I know they are not allowed in the Neptune Lounge, but on other lines I have been on they did extend thethe embarkation and tendering if it only involved a couple. Actually the only prt we will tender is Half Moon Cay. Last it says HAL provides binoculars, does anyone know how strong they are and it is one pair per cabin or two.

Thank you very much for your responses. :)

S

sail7seas

Your tender pas, which must be shown at the gangway when boarding a tender, is your ship's ID. For "S" and "PS" pax, it is a different color, therefore easily recognizable as entitled to priority tender.
Your cousins will not be eligible. Even though they 'are only one couple', if everyone is an "S" suite were to bring along 'only one couple', that would be alot of folks.

You (and all the other "S" pax) paid for the amentities that accrue to Suites. Among those amenities which Suite pax purchased are priority tendering and priority embarkation/disembarkation.

As to embarkation, when you check in at the pier, you will be given a gold sticker which identifies you as a Suite pax. You will be in the first groups permitted to board. Your cousins will be given a boarding number and they will board when that number is called. Depending upon what time you get to the dock, you all may be able to just 'walk aboard' after checking in or there may be a short wait for your friends.

Disembarkation priority means that you will be issued the first disembarkation number and may leave the ship when disembarkation begins. Your cousins will be given a number predicated upon there onward travel plans. The people with the earliest flights get the lowest numbers.

R

redcrown

Ok thanks. That is fine with us. All lines do things a wee bit different and this is our first time with HAL, so I am trying to learn their rules and regs. I really appreciate all the help you have been S7S and you other HAL "experts". We will just wait until they are able to board . As for disembarkation, we are in no hurry either as we will stay in FLL after, so we will wait until they are able to leave. The only port that we tender in is Half Moon so that is a non issue also.

We will probably be getting to the Port Everglades around 11:00 AM. How long before they allow you to start boarding?

S

sail7seas

The doors to the terminal normally open at about 11:15. If you arrive at 11:00, you will find a reasonably short line.....(usually :) ) If you come earlier than that, it can be a long time standing in a line outside on the sidewalk. If it is very hot or raining etc, it could be uncomfortable.

Hope you have a great cruise.

(------sorry for all of the typos in my earlier post)

R

redcrown

Thank you. We will be at Embassy Suites, so we will plan on leaving there at 11:00. A five minute cab ride and we should be in line around 11:05-11:10, not too long of a wait. Thanks again for all your help. I am sure I will probably think up some more questions before we sail her on 7/2.

You will never hear me complain about typos. I reread and sometimes I still have them. :)

L

Lady Jag

I thought the binoculars were a nice gesture. My 12 yr. old really enjoyed looking them & thought they were great compared to others he has used, but that's coming from a 12 yr. old. =dunno

Our cruise cards for the suite were tan; all other passengers' were blue.

I agree that it would be very hard to have another couple tag along and reap some of the suite benefits after seeing the way HAL does things. Other cruise lines, yes, HAL, no.

S

sail7seas

Lady Jag:

Have you written a review? Have you posted comments I may have missed?

L

Lady Jag

Yes, I posted a very long review here.
Warning: Do not attempt to read it unless you've got a spare hour or two. :grin

S

sail7seas

Two hours???? =eek How long did it take to write it if it takes two hours to read it? :pc

Nice of you to go to so much trouble to share with all of us about your cruise.

S

sail7seas

Yes, I saw the grin. :)

I read your review. Very complete. Extensive. Glad you had a good time and liked many things about HAL.

It did surprise me a bit you did not comment about the fresh flowers around the ship. I have always found HAL has the very best, most outstanding, floral arrangements. Other cruiselines we have been on don't begin to compare. It is a highlight of HAL ships for me. Our last cruise on Princess (which will probably be our last cruise on Princess, we never saw a single fresh flower anywhere on the ship and I missed that very much.

L

Lady Jag

We noticed 2 large fresh flower arrangements that were moved from location to location. We thought that was pretty funny. They'd appear at one lounge, then one of the CD's staff would take them and move them to the next lounge for another display. :lol :lol

A few of the bigger flowers fell out and he stuck them back in. One of the arrangements was totally messed up by the last night & we got a good laugh at his lack of flower arrangement abilities. :lol :lol :lol Seriously though, they were nice to see around the ship and it was especially nice to see the fresh flowers on the tables in the Lido buffet too.

Also, the daily movies were great. Very nice, especially for all the families on board. Popcorn was good too.

S

sail7seas

You didn't have a pretty bouquet in your cabin?
..... fresh flowers on your dining table?
.... fresh flowers in the public area rest rooms?
.....huge arrangements outside the dining room doors?
.... pretty flowers around Ocean Bar area?
......fresh flowers on every table in Lido?
.....Neptune Lounge?
.....What about Pinnacle? All around the ship?

I'd be so surprised to hear Oosterdam is different than all the other 'dam' ships and didn't have gorgeous flowers all over the 'dam' ship.

L

Lady Jag

Yes, but we're used to having a fresh flower bouquet in our suites on all the cruise lines we've been on.

Like I said, we noticed 2 arrangements and the ones in the Lido. Guess they aren't that important to me or I would've looked for them more. =dunno

S

sail7seas

You didn't have a fresh flower bouquet placed on the glass top table in your Suite? Never, ever heard of that before. We have spent well over a year of our lives in that Suite on one 'dam' ship or another and every one of those days, there was a fresh flower bouquet (or more than one) in our Suite.

Too bad you didn't have one. They are usually quite pretty and I always enjoy them.

L

Lady Jag

I never said that. In fact, I said the exact opposite. I answered your question to whether we had flowers in our suite or not:

"Yes, but we're used to having a fresh flower bouquet in our suites on all the cruise lines we've been on."

S

sail7seas

Yes, but we're used to having a fresh flower bouquet in our suites on all the cruise lines we've been on."

We aren't. :(

We never saw a fresh flower anywhere on our last Princess cruise and certainly not in our very large Suite. Not a single blossom. That sure surprised me seeing as I am so accustomed to all of the beautiful flowers on all HAL ships.

L

LUV2Cruz2

S7S, I too have always been accustomed to having fresh flowers and fresh fruit, and a bottle of champagne in all my suites on all my cruises on all cruiselines I've been on.

I think it's a lovely touch for HAL as well. I think HAL is a great line and I'm most comfortable sailing HAL mainly because I love the Neptune Lounge and don't have to rely on having a butler that I have to get hold of when I want something and the concierge is always there and takes care of everything for me. The other thing I REALLY like is that I don't have to pack as much since we have the laundry and dry cleaning done so often.

My upcoming cruise is on the "Z" and I'm hoping she's as lovely as the Volendam which I've sailed a few times since last year. I've not been on the "Z" before...anything I should know that makes her different from the Volendam?

Thanks

P

peaches

Which 'Z'- Zaandam which would be just like the Volendam or the Zuiderdam (a larger Vista class ship) which would be very different?

Suspecting you are asking about the Zuiderdam, I have sailed her sister, the Oosterdam, and the Volendam, which I sailed last week, is in a different class of ambience, size, and pax complex altogether. On the Zuiderdam S suites are smaller, decor more glitzy, many more pax of which many are younger families than on the Volendam.