Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

S suite perks being cut?

Discussion in 'Holland America Line' started by sage, May 26, 2004.

1. cin50

cin50 Guest

We just finished the Amsterdam 5/23-5/30 Alaska cruise...
    Yes they did NOT have the Kings room for our breakfast or lunch...and the dining room staff was rather rude when we arrived for lunch and were shown to another large table for eight in the middle of the dining room.
    Also, I got a runaround when I called for "high tea" in the room...was told I had to order it 24 hours in advance. When I said that I would then order it immediately for our next afternoon at sea (Friday)...I was told I had to do it that morning.
    The first three times I ordered room service something was always left off of the tray.....tea bags for the moring tea.....ketchup for the lunch burger. We finally had it out with the room service people on the third time and then we got better service...and we always left a tip for room service.
    One positive .........we did have the suite lunch on the last day and a special cocktail party on the first night.
    The room was great.......kept very clean. The Neptune lounge always had a snack and coffee cappucino machine ready for us. The spa and gym were very nice and just a short jog up one flight.
    We really relaxed and enjoyed the huge balcony....The service was just OK.....we have cruised about 8 times and had better service. It was difficult to find the steward when you wanted something...You would call for something and be told to call someone else....I would ask our steward for water and was told that it was the minibar's dept....eventually we got the water from the minibar people. I really think that the service in the Princess minisuites with the butlet was better. Maybe we should have used the concierge a little more,,,but she seemed swamped.

2. sage

sage Guest

I'm beginning to grow concerned that the special things that set HAL apart are quickly vanishing. Who knows what we will find when we board the Volendam in December. I think that I will weep if they next take away the laundry and dry cleaning services.

3. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

I have been absolutely, positively assured "by one who absolutely, positively knows" that there are no plans (at present) to eliminate included dry cleaning/laundry for "S" and "PS" pax. I am confident of the source and do not see that happening in the near future. The distant future....who knows??

4. sage

sage Guest

Thanks Sail. It would be nice if they would issue a new set of ammenties, so one would know what is to be expected.

5. Lisa63

Lisa63 Guest

Although we will not be occupying a suite on our upcoming Maasdam cruise, this disturbs me. It is one thing when a cruise line changes an itinerary... but quite another when amenities promised with a stateroom category are not delivered. For instance, some may have booked a suite or penthouse specifically for the quieter atmosphere of breakfast and lunch, only to find out once they are on the ship that these are not being offered. HAL needs to be made aware of the dissatisfaction associated with these decisions.

6. ShipMaven

ShipMaven Guest

Lisa - which is precisely why I suggested above that these concerns be voiced directly to HAL.

7. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

My wife and I are relatively new to cruising having only taken a short 3 night cruise to hold us over until the Zaandam in October and are also becoming concerned about the extras being taken away from "s" class suites. We specifically took the "s" class suite to spoil ourselves without really checking out the Zaandam and not realizing it hasn't had the Neptune lounge installed yet. I'm wondering if there will be any type of early boarding for us or will we be in the lines like everyone else. Not knowing about the Neptune lounge is our fault, we don't blame that on anyone else, but wonder if anything is going to be taken away between now and October. I do plan on writing HAL with our concerns and know that next time we will make a wiser more informed choice of cabins and ships.

Jim and LInda

8. sail7seas

sail7seas Guest

Jim and Linda...You HAVE made a good choice for your cruise. Zaandam is a fabulous ship and we have had wonderful cruises on her. We have been in an "S" on that ship and her sister and all the Statendam Class and Rotterdam. and Amsterdam....well, you get the picture.

We have been in "S" on ships that had a Neptune Lounge and we loved it. We have also been on ships that did not yet have one.....and we loved those ships as well.

While the Neptune is terrific....it is definitely not the determining factor as to how good your cruise will be.

In all honesty, your cruise (and everyone else's) will always only be as good as you make it. If not having the Neptune is enough to ruin your good time, it would be a pity. Look forward to having a terrific time on Zaandam.

When you rebook her or book another HAL ship in the future, you will be able to look forward to having a Neptune on your next cruise.

9. CruisinTex

CruisinTex Guest

Jim and Linda.....I was on the Zaandam in January in an 'S' suite without the Neptune Lounge. It's the first HAL ship I've been on in an 'S' without the Lounge and I thought I'd really miss it, but I didn't. You will definitely have priority boarding...wheelchairs first then 'S' pax. We arrived at the pier about 11:05 and were checked in within about 10-15 minutes. Boarding began sometime around 11:40 or so, and they called wheelchairs first, then the Deluxe Verandah Suites. As soon as we boarded, we made our appointments (spa, Pinnacle) and registered our credit card with the Front Desk. Then took care of shore excursions. There were no lines, no people, we felt like we had the ship to ourselves since most everyone went to the Lido for lunch. Although it would have been much more convenient to go to Neptune Lounge and have them set everything up for us, as we've done on previous cruises, it was wonderful walking around an empty ship. The only time I really missed the Neptune was for morning coffee (Neptune's coffee is really good, room service coffee is really bad).

10. jimlinalf

jimlinalf Guest

Thanks for the positive responses. One thing we decided a few years back is to not let small things ruin the rest for us. Having been married only a few years, met later in life, we have a lot to make up for and we've learned to adjust and have a good time no matter we are doing. As you've said don't worry so much about the special lounge, heck we can get some good coffee elsewhere on the ship and a comfortable chair to sit and enjoy it in. Thats how we like to cruise.

Thanks
    Jim

11. cjb71870

cjb71870 Guest

Like I wrote earlier. We were just on our honeymoon the last week of March. In a Deluxe Suite. There was no Neptune Lounge, but we had never had one so we didn't miss it. We were taken care of very well. Invitation almost everyday to a suite gathering. We LOVED it. Just enjoy it, It's hard not to. Have a Great time!!!!!!