Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest! Welcome to our forums!. We are glad you joined us. If you aren't a member already, please Sign Up! Today!

Sailing from New York?? How are the waters and the passengers?

Discussion in 'Princess Cruises' started by jacartier, Jan 6, 2007.

1. jacartier

jacartier Guest

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your last input on the Crown balcony. My wife and I have a few more concerns. Please feel free to answer any or all of these questions!!

1. We have not been on a Princess ship that carries this many passengers. Is it a really crowded ship?

2. We have heard nothing but bad things sailing to Bermuda from New York because of the water in the north Atlantic. Is it a rough ride going out?

3. We live in South Carolina and we are a little bit worried about the cliental sailing out of New York City. How are the other passengers on board?

Thanks again for all of the input, for some reason, something just doesn't feel right about this cruise and we are considering canceling it, but we already have the airfare so we would be out that money.

Talk with all of you soon!!

2. I'm not worried at all, my family of 6 will be cruising from New York in June and cant wait. We are from Calif and love cruising as most passangers do, a cruise is what you make of it even with all the people.

3. ZIGGY104

ZIGGY104 Guest

THE WATERS MIGHT BE A LITTLE ROUGH,BUT AS A NEW YORKER,I CAN TELL YOU THAT OUR CLIENTELE ARE NOT ROUGH,STOIP WATCHING GOODFELLAS

4. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

:lol :lol :lol

5. jk

jk Guest

Ziggy104, :lol :lol :thumb

6. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

I have sailed the Crown twice. Only on the repo cruise in October from NY to San Juan did we experience rough seas.

We missed San Juan due to a tropical storm on the July trip.

Several trips in late August and September on the Crown missed Bermuda due to weather.

Don't worry the ship is beautiful and you don't notice any crowding.

Just enjoy!!! :thumb

7. jacartier

jacartier Guest

Awesome, we are so excited. Princess just lowered their prices and made all interior and oceanview one price and then they made all balcony's one price so we got a Cat BB on the Baja deck on the very back of the ship. I think we are going to like it back there because no one can look down on you!!

Thanks for all the input!!

8. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

Very nice, have fun.

9. jacartier

jacartier Guest

You'll have to let me know how the Mexican Riveria Cruise is. We are sailing on the Dawn Princess December 16th. We haven't cruised to Mexico before.

10. Colo Cruiser

Colo Cruiser Guest

Will do! :thumb

11. Pinky7654

Pinky7654 Guest

In my experience, the waters coming back into nY from Bermuda were very rough for about 2 hours. We were aboard the Celebrity Zenith (an older, smaller ship) when we hit a "low pressure spot" where the ship began sailing on its side. On Deck 9, the staterooms on the lower sailing side, you could see the water at their window. That aside, I prefer to go out of NY because I am from NJ (no flight involved)!

The people are the same as any other cruise you've ever been on. Everyone is happy and wants to be there and have fun.

Hope this helps!

12. BobbyCruiser

BobbyCruiser Guest

yea the passengers are most likely the same as from any other embarkation port. People just want to get away and have a good time. that said, i believe that people from this area are much more fun and outgoing, but not in a bad way. we (myself and pinky) are going on a 9 day eastern caribbean in may and im pretty sure that it will be great. a cruise is what you make it:)

13. kjc

kjc Guest

I'm from Nebraska and my husband and I have met people from all over the States - as well as world. I'd like to think we're pretty nice people, and 4 couples stand out for me. Two were couples from Florida, one couple were seniors, and one was our age - mid 30's. The other two couples were from New York and Pennsylvania, and I thought they were great people. There are always those people who are a little different, but that is anywhere you go. I've never felt crowded on Princess' ship. Happy cruising and Enjoy you lucky duck!

Remember, a day cruising is better than anyday not crusing!!!

14. swolff

swolff Guest

We just made reservations on Crown Princess -- New York - New England-Canada Oct 6th.
    We will come to New York a couple of weeks before to stay with family in Brewster NY..........Plan to come into Grand Central Station and take a cab to Brooklyn Doc. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of cab. My son-in-law thinks it should not be more than about $30.00. Any thoughts on this..............???

15. swolff

swolff Guest

from Grand Central toPier in Brooklyn

Re: Sailing from New York?? How are the waters and the passengers?
    Posted by: swolff (Explore, Dream, Discover)
    Wannabe Cruiser
    Date: Yesterday, 06:23PM

We just made reservations on Crown Princess -- New York - New England-Canada Oct 6th.
    We will come to New York a couple of weeks before to stay with family in Brewster NY..........Plan to come into Grand Central Station and take a cab to Brooklyn Doc. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of cab. My son-in-law thinks it should not be more than about $30.00. Any thoughts on this..............???

16. jacartier

jacartier Guest

It is NOT cheap for a taxi. We called them after we found out that transfers were $80.00 per person from LGA to the Pier. The taxi was only $10.00 cheaper, but after the tip, risk of being late, and wonderful feel of a NY Taxi, it wasn't worth the ten bucks.

By the way, we have returned from our Cruise since I first started this forum. I can tell you this, we are seriously considering cancelling our December Princess Cruise. The entire staff was the worst that we have ever encountered. I wrote an e-mail to Princess, they responded a month later and said sorry for the trouble, see you in December.

Sailing out of New York was a terrible decision and one that we will NEVER make again. This was our 6th and possibly last cruise with Princess.

17. swolff

swolff Guest

Re: from Grand Central toPier in Brooklyn

Thanks for the imput. I'll have to find out if Grand Central is closer to the pier then LGA.
    wow! 160.00 plus tip for the ride??

It's hard to imagine the staff being so bad.........our experience just last week on Sapphire was extraordinary. Truly perfection.
    Sorry, this happened to you.

18. jacartier

jacartier Guest

We were on Sapphire about 2 years ago and it was a great ship. I have heard a lot of complaints about the Crown Princess. I hope you have better luck than we did.

You'll have to let me know how it was!!

19. swolff

swolff Guest

What kind of complaints? Though, it's too late to change anything. We've booked it, and I expect it to be great! :)
    Positive thinking at work!
    Also, if anyone is interested............My travel agent just called and told me that Princess can not pick us up at Grand Central Station, but they will deliver us there after the cruise.......$25.00 a person. Just have to make the reservations with them when we get on board.

20. Lady Jag

Lady Jag Guest

I wouldn't discount the entire cruise line. I tend to judge service more by the ship than the entire cruise line. I would still give the Dawn Princess a try on the 16th and if that one is as bad as you thought the Crown was, then find another cruise line.

I've not heard any back comments lately about the Crown at all. =dunno